So tired all the time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tired all the time

What can I do to get my energy levels up? I am eating properly and still not losing weight (so I am sure I am eating more than I am burning right now), but I am so exhausted that exercising is seriously a daunting task right now (and I actually love the elliptical).

Ideas?

can you post what a typical day's food is? how long have you been eating PB?
    sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

knowing what you've been eating will really help
      Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

And, how long have been doing primal? I'm still new - but I remember reading in Schwarzbein's books that if you've been unhealthy for a long time, you may switch to a very healthy diet, and feel very tired (and even put on some fat!). This is because your body is going through a "healing phase" and rebuilding a lot of the internal "structure" that you may have lost.

Not sure if that has anything to do with what you're experiencing, but something to keep in mind!

And of course... are you getting enough quality sleep?

Comment

Being exhausted sounds bad. Like others have mentioned, post a food log, and post personal stats. You mentioned 2000 cals in another thread - that's not a whole lot for a large male, but might be tons for a small female.

Personally, I've never had the "boundless energy" so many describe eating paleo/PB - I'm half convinced it's psychosomatic or simply the product of people swtching to a diet that takes nutrition into count from a diet of eating whatever they want whenever they want. Either way, I've never experienced it. I had way, way more energy when I was eating closer to the zone standard (though I never followed the zone diet and couldn't tell you WTF a "block" is). And no, it's not an adjustment thing - I've been very strict paleo/PB for better than 9 months at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by scubasam View Post
            What can I do to get my energy levels up? I am eating properly and still not losing weight (so I am sure I am eating more than I am burning right now), but I am so exhausted that exercising is seriously a daunting task right now (and I actually love the elliptical).

Ideas?
            I feel ya! I've been the same and hadn't exercised for almost a week which is unheard of for me. Then last night I forced myself to go to the gym even though I really didn't want to and although I sweated even more than usual I felt better after and MUCH better today. All I did was 50 minutes on the eliptical at high resistance/low speed.

Not saying that is the answer, it could be a pure coincidence, but I'm so glad I got moving again. I'm 8 days in btw.
            Self Development For People With A Sense Of Humor

Comment

have you had a physical with bloodwork recently? Before my underactive thyroid was diagnosed/treated I could only describe the sheer exhaustion I felt as being tired all the way to the core of my soul. Even after waking up from a long sleep. It was terrible.
              Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                have you had a physical with bloodwork recently? Before my underactive thyroid was diagnosed/treated I could only describe the sheer exhaustion I felt as being tired all the way to the core of my soul. Even after waking up from a long sleep. It was terrible.
                That is EXACTLY how I feel...all the damn time! I can sleep for 9-14 hours at a time, and I usually do, and then wake up and feel incredibly tired and fatigued...to the point that I can't get up to do the damn dishes...it's been 4 effing days! I'm so out of it....I just want to close my eyes and sleep forever! It's been like this for years...ever since I can remember...maybe except childhood though. I think I need to get some bloodwork done again....I most probably have a mixed form of hypo - hyper thyroidism, since I have a HUGE mixture of symptoms from both. Fatigure, diarrhea, weight gain/unable to lose weight, no insomnia...but fall asleep in a snap, excess facial/body hair etc.....it's actually pretty damn bad but I've learned to live with it and let my moodyness force evilness out of my mouth in order to get my way and force my husband to come home from a 16-hour job 6 days a week and do the housework...I know, I'm the worst! I hate myself!

Comment

sorry for the rant....wrong place I think. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MumtazG38 View Post
                    sorry for the rant....wrong place I think. lol.
                    LOL.. well it's part of the whole thing.

to the OP, definitely post your typical daily eats, and how long you've been doing PB becaue depending on that you're going to get different answers.

You do go through a period of fatigue at first. Once you get through the initial stage and you have your macros (fat/protein/carb) in the range that's right for your body... if you are STILL experiencing fatigue there are three issues I would toss out there to check out first.

1) Vitamin D levels (see Cillakat's sig line she has a whole document about D and what it should look like. I can't even begin to cover it as well, so I won't. But low D levels can cause fatigue, for sure.)

2) Thyroid levels. Many people suffer from hypothyroidism and don't know it. Our SAD diets/way of living contributes to this problem. Anyway, having hypothyroidism can make you tired to your bones. If you go to about.com or google Mary Shomon, you'll get a whole bunch of info on figuring out if your symptoms perhaps match, what tests to get (don't count on the doc knowing which ones to do), and how to read those labs. Like cholesterol testing, many docs don't have a clue what the numbers actually MEAN.

3) Adrenals. Having lowered amounts of the right hormones can make you tired. Being stressed (and/or super busy, not enough sleep, lots of caffeine) over long periods of time deplete these hormones. They're not meant to be activated all day every day...

Those are my top three suggestions for fatigue issues... hope it helps a little...
                    sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

If you can muster up enough courage and boldness, take a cold shower and stay in there until you warm up, at least. Should be about 5-10 minutes under very cold water. If that doesn't wake you up and energize you, nothing will. You also should have fits of giggles when you get out your first time. Try it, it really is powerful at healing and rejuvenating.

Sleeping more than recommended can make you tired, try to aim for 8 hours. Also, fasting can be a good stimuli to get you moving and energized. It seems like a paradox that not eating food would energize you, but it's true in many cases. Research it, try it. By day 2 or 3 of a fast, you should feel lighter, more clear headed and energized. And you won't be hungry by the way.

Good luck.

Comment

I have been easing into PB for about 8 weeks now (which means that I do really well for 2/3 days and then slip up for a day, then back on again etc.). Over the past 4 days (until yesterday), I have eaten as follows:

Fast until lunch time. Eat a big lunch of sirloin with veggies in coconut milk or ribs with veggies. Dinner would be something small like some strawberries with mascarpone or creme fraiche. And if hungry, I would snack on full fat cheese or pistachios.

I am not sleeping well at night which is contributing to my exhaustion (my youngest still gets up at night), but this goes beyond the usual exhaustion I feel. I have hypothyroidism, PCOS and IR and am being treated for the hypothyroidism (went for blood work yesterday, so will get my results back soon), am deficient in D and selenium and I am not supplements for those, although I am not very good about taking my meds.

According to fitday, I should be eating about 1890 cals a day to lose (2390 a day to maintain my body weight) when I put in being lightly active.

I had a particularly bad night last night and am so tired today that I ate processed food this morning for the first time in WEEKS. I don't know why I did it, but when I am really exhausted I tend to crave carbs much more than when I am not so tired. Today I gave in :-(! I keep sabotaging myself and need to stop this damn cycle once and for all.

I guess my next question is how you all 'just say no' and stay away from processed crap?

Comment

sweet potatoes. I've been experimenting with sweet potatoe fries and latkes. Nuts also help with carb control in the beginning.
                          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I guess my next question is how you all 'just say no' and stay away from processed crap?
                            For me, it's a combination of will power and knowing certain foods make me feel really awful - dairy, for example. It's pretty easy to swear off something when you know that if you eat it you'll have horrible stomach cramps a few hours later. For the will power piece, that's just always been my way - I make a decision and go with it. That doesn't work well for most people, and honestly, doesn't always work for me. There is no food I crave enough that I can't do without it, but beer is a tough one. Every few months I'll say screw it and have a few, even though I know it's going to screw my stomach up. I like good beer and a good beer buzz more than I hate gastric distress :-)

You might consider going at things a little less full bore and start with at least 3 meals a day with a little more carbohydrate and then once that's comfortable moving on to something else. Skipping a meal here or there doesn't bug me much, but what you're going sounds more like "the warrior diet" than IF as done by most "caveman" types. If I skipped breakfast every day, I'd be too exhausted to do anything, too.

Finally, the thyroid is going to be a major factor as well, I'm guessing - if something like that is actually broken, diet by itself isn't going to get you all the way to where you want/need to be.
                            Last edited by blank_faceplate; 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I have been easing into PB for about 8 weeks now (which means that I do really well for 2/3 days and then slip up for a day, then back on again etc.). Over the past 4 days (until yesterday), I have eaten as follows:

Fast until lunch time. Eat a big lunch of sirloin with veggies in coconut milk or ribs with veggies. Dinner would be something small like some strawberries with mascarpone or creme fraiche. And if hungry, I would snack on full fat cheese or pistachios.

I am not sleeping well at night which is contributing to my exhaustion (my youngest still gets up at night), but this goes beyond the usual exhaustion I feel. I have hypothyroidism, PCOS and IR and am being treated for the hypothyroidism (went for blood work yesterday, so will get my results back soon), am deficient in D and selenium and I am not supplements for those, although I am not very good about taking my meds.

According to fitday, I should be eating about 1890 cals a day to lose (2390 a day to maintain my body weight) when I put in being lightly active.

I had a particularly bad night last night and am so tired today that I ate processed food this morning for the first time in WEEKS. I don't know why I did it, but when I am really exhausted I tend to crave carbs much more than when I am not so tired. Today I gave in :-(! I keep sabotaging myself and need to stop this damn cycle once and for all.

It seems to me that you may just not be eating enough food! You may want to consider doing around 2000 cals daily, or cycle around days which you were more active (so eat more on active days and a bit less on less active days).

Maybe if you up your protein and fat intake you will feel more energy.
                              --
                              Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

Working...
                              X