Silly CW nutritionist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly CW nutritionist

Current news story about Michelle Obama doing cleanses where she eats only veggies for a couple days. ". . . when you start adding things like sugars into your diet, you start craving them. And the more you eat, the more you crave." Maybe not exactly how we would cleanse, but on the right track.

Heather Mangieri, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, said of a cleanse such as the one described by the first lady: "I definitely wouldn't recommend it because you're missing food groups." While missing food groups for a couple of days may not result in deficiencies, she said, "it's really not necessary. You can still feel good by having a balanced diet," eating whole foods and removing processed foods and saturated fats."

Note carefully: I will not get into a political thread.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

What else do you expect, the food pyramid is, after all, officially recommended by, and funded from, the government.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

my fav... balanced diet

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelA View Post
        my fav... balanced diet
        I.e., lots and lots of grains.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Biggest US crops = corn, soy, wheat.

of COURSE they want you to eat it. Then you get sick. But dont worry! We have lots and lots of cancer and heart disease treatments. Oh and we have many ways you can 'buy your way to skinny' as well...low self esteem? Depression? Nah, it cant be the diet...we have many things you can buy to make yourself feel better! Here, have a frappachino.....

Our economy runs off the sick and depressed. The cancer industry is a BUSINESS. The big pharm is a BUSINESS. Our country doesn't care about us getting sick, they make a big profit on it.
          Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I won't live my life with that level of cynicism. I'm not naive. Sure, there are plenty of people who just want to get rich. But I still believe that most doctors, nutritionists, farmers, etc. believe that they are doing the right thing.

Getting your head around PB is hard. It goes against just about everything people have believed for eons.
            Ancestral Health Info

Comment

Not eons. About 50 years.
              http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

Originally posted by tamo42 View Post
                Not eons. About 50 years.
                DAMN YOU, CHINA STUDY!!! *shakes fists*
                Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

7 nation study by Ancel Keys, actually. The China study is a more recently popularized horror story.

Hedonist,
                  You're partially correct. I think most doctors, farmers, etc. think they're doing the right thing, but when someone like a doctor doesn't read a paper for themselves and instead take the word of someone representing big Pharma; I DO blame the doctor. Also, farmer's have it hard; look to the Chillean beef that we're used to getting here in the states: farms are increasingly switching to Soy solely because they make more $ doing so. I cannot blame them for wanting to make $, but I don't have to like it or them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason VT View Post
                    Hedonist,
                    You're partially correct. I think most doctors, farmers, etc. think they're doing the right thing, but when someone like a doctor doesn't read a paper for themselves and instead take the word of someone representing big Pharma; I DO blame the doctor. Also, farmer's have it hard; look to the Chillean beef that we're used to getting here in the states: farms are increasingly switching to Soy solely because they make more $ doing so. I cannot blame them for wanting to make $, but I don't have to like it or them.
                    I agree. The conventional medical establishment is the leading cause of death in this country. And many, perhaps most docs, are in the pocket of big pharma. My comment was just about not being willing to live a life of cynicism.
                    Last edited by Hedonist; 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM.
                    Ancestral Health Info

Comment

I don't disagree, but in the end, I think each of us should be the custodian of our own health, instead of relying on the government, nutritionists or doctors to make our health decisions for us.

I recently had an MRI of an elbow injury - and had 2 fairly different prognosis from 2 competent, well-reviewed orthopods. Of course, I followed the most optimistic (LOL) - but I wonder if we don't just seek studies and opinions and "facts" which back up what we already believe?

Comment

Silly CW nutritionist

I believe the stars mean you have posted on that thread. And they are red when there are new posts, and blue when there are not. Im new too, we are all learning.

Comment

I also am getting very suspicious of a tie in between agrobusiness and pharmaceutical business - coincidences that big aren't coincidence! Produce food that results in omega 3 deficiency - produce omega 3 eggs / supplemented food and before long GM food with omega 3. Produce food which results in high blood pressure - and pharma sells more statins etc etc.

I'd rather just eat well in the first place. I'm sure it would not be hard for the medical profession to realise that if they advised everyone to eat PB, they'd be advising themselves out of very lucrative careers.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                            I'd rather just eat well in the first place. I'm sure it would not be hard for the medical profession to realise that if they advised everyone to eat PB, they'd be advising themselves out of very lucrative careers.
                            This is one of the great conundrums of society! Do I make something/heal someone to the point that they don't need me anymore? Or, do I do just enough to ensure they keep coming back?

Comment

I think it would be difficult for most physicians to make the leap from CW to PB. Most doctors have very little training in nutrition. I'm an RN and I have had more didactic training in nutrition than the physicians I work with (and that was in conventional nutrition, mind you, not primal/paleo). The fact of the matter is that most of the patients I have cared for that are chronically ill with diabetes and hypertension and other 'diseases of affluence' have no interest in changing their lifestyle or eating habits. They go to the doctor to get a pill in order to continue at their baseline level of (poor) health.
                              I have a patient RIGHT NOW who has just had a revision of a below the knee amputation due to uncontrolled diabetes and guess what? He is rolling around in a wheelchair, with a bloody stump and a drain attached, drinking a Pepsi and eating a bag of corn chips. I've tried to counsel him on his nutrition and he has the 'I have to die sometime' attitude so common in the chronically ill.
                              I find the best thing to do is lead by example. Every now and then someone will ask me how I eat or why I don't eat wheat or sugar or what type of exercise I do and I will tell them and they listen. They may not change their habits right away but I plant the seed and water it with my good *daily* example and sometimes it will take hold and grow.

Comment

Working...
                              X