Sunglasses. Good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunglasses. Good or bad?

Given that Grok didn't have access to Oakleys or Ray-bans in his time, are sunglasses good for you?

I only ask as I'm over Irish Celtic heritage (fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc) and living in Pa, I see many months of intense sunshine.

Naturally, I wear sunglasses regularly.

I have already stopped using sun screen and just hide in the shade when I get too crispy, but am I doing myself a dis-service by wearing shades?

Wouldn't my eyes over time become accustomed to the bright sun?

Or is this one of this occasions where modern man prevails?

When I had laser correction eye surgery the eye doctor noticed that my pupils are very large. He asked if I had any light sensitivity. YES. Living in Colorado where it is always sunny - HURTS my eyes unless I have my sunglasses. When I am sick (like now) my eyes become even more sensitive. I honestly could not live or enjoy the outdoors if I didn't have sunglasses. In fact I lost my pair last week and bought two pairs last night (a good pair and a cheap pair as backup).
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
      When I had laser correction eye surgery the eye doctor noticed that my pupils are very large. He asked if I had any light sensitivity. YES. Living in Colorado where it is always sunny - HURTS my eyes unless I have my sunglasses. When I am sick (like now) my eyes become even more sensitive. I honestly could not live or enjoy the outdoors if I didn't have sunglasses. In fact I lost my pair last week and bought two pairs last night (a good pair and a cheap pair as backup).
      That's ironic! I lost my expensive pair of polarized Oakleys the other week and bought a cheap pair to compensate. Needless to say, I'll be shelling out for the expensive ones as the headaches are back......

Comment

Next to oysters, green tea, oolong, and beautiful accomidating women, cheap sunglasses are some of my favorite things.

Comment

my eye doctor says my blue eyes really need the protection from the sun. Would be interesting to read Mark's take on them though...
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I wonder if our eyes do adjust to bright light. I only wear sunglasses while driving, and even then only rarely (maybe 2% of the time), and I've never spent more than $10 on a pair. I've just never been sensitive to bright light.

The question is, is it because I have a naturally high light tolerance that I refused to wear sunglasses as a kid, or is it because I refused to wear sunglasses that I can tolerate bright light? I've got no idea. And despite the lack of discomfort, am I still damaging my eyes slowly over time? Entirely possible. Not worth having those things sitting there on my face though. Ugh.
            Last edited by mayness; 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM.
            "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Sunglasses are good for you especially since like me, you have Irish/Scottish heritage so we need them. Those with lighter eye color need extra protection but I'll never pay over $10 again. I always lose the damn things in Lake Lanier.

This lifestyle is supposed to blend modern day tech and how our Grokian ancestors lived. Don't you think Grok would have loved to have a pair of shades for when he's hunting mid-day with no shade.
              Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

In the thread that Serial Sinner (I think) posted about hair and eye color, the article mentioned that light eyes are more sensitive to light. I don't remember why. But it makes sense, as Northern Europeans aren't exposed to as much bright sunlight for as much of the year as people on other continents with little variation in hair/eye color.

I say yes to the sunglasses. I can't do without them.

Comment

I'm blonde, blue-eyed, in my 60s and had cataract surgeries in both eyes last year. I might have avoided the cataracts had I been more careful about wearing sunglasses. On the other hand, my vision is now better than it has been in years!

Comment

I've never needed regular glasses or had corrective surgery but I need sunglasses too. I like the polarized ones, but I don't always opt for the expensive ones these days. I get bad headaches any time that I go outside during the day without them. Even if it's cloudy out I still wear them. I draw the line at wearing them at night though, I'm not that cool. Hey, and I wish everyone that experienced the 80's good luck in getting the song "I Wear My Sunglasses at Night" out of their heads cause it's going to be stuck there for a day or two. (Woops, my bad)
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

The inuit used sunglasses, I suspect it wasn't unheard of in the "grok" world either. Picture below displays inuit sunglasses:

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_snow_goggles

Grok was smart, he did whatever he needed to do to get an upper edge on the environment, foe or prey. Make no mistakes about it.
                      Last edited by Sungrazer; 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM.
                      Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Originally posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
                        This lifestyle is supposed to blend modern day tech and how our Grokian ancestors lived. Don't you think Grok would have loved to have a pair of shades for when he's hunting mid-day with no shade.
                        I figured Grok would be sitting on his arse playing Wii while munching down a pack of corn chips if he was around now.....

Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                        The inuit used sunglasses, I suspect it wasn't unheard of in the "grok" world either. Picture below displays inuit sunglasses:

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_snow_goggles

Grok was smart, he did whatever he needed to do to get an upper edge on the environment, foe or prey. Make no mistakes about it.
                        Never knew that. Interesting info.

Comment

I wear my stunna shades because I look hot in them with my primal physique. But I limit wearing them so as to not develop the dreaded sunglasses tan lines.

All jokes aside, I'm basically about 50/50 sunglasses on or off in the sunlight. Grok obviously didn't have them, but he wasn't trying to score with Jenny from the block either. Usage should be fine in moderation...in Grok's day there were probably more trees and thus shade from direct sun to the eyes, so if you're in the direct sunlight a lot, put some on!

Comment

A few years ago I was reading quite a bit about improving one's eyesight through natural methods. Although I can't recall the author or book title off the top off my head, I remember reading that sunglasses were not recommended while working on improving vision. The reasoning was that your pupils need to experience natural dilation and contraction to stay relaxed and flexible.

We get so used to looking at things within a fixed distance (ie staring at a computer all day, or even just being inside and never looking farther than the four walls that surrounding us) and at a certain level of light (usually artificial or natural moderated by sunglasses) that our eyes aren't forced to constantly adjust in the way they are designed to work. This creates inflexibility and leads to eyestrain and headaches.

It made a lot of sense to me and I found that after an initial period of uncomfortable adjustment, my eyes felt much more relaxed when I didn't rely on sunglasses.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's take on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by buster2209 View Post

I only ask as I'm over Irish Celtic heritage (fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc) and living in Pa, I see many months of intense sunshine.
                              Sorry, just have to correct you as being Irish, this bugs me.

Irish colouring is dark hair, medium skin tone and blue eyes. Like mine.

The fair hair and skin you speak of comes from Scandinavia, so if you really do have Irish heritage, then your ancestors were the Vikings that invaded Ireland, as that particular colouring is not native to here. Hardly anyone over here is really pale, and red heads and natural blondes are rare, less than 9% of the population. Ireland is not as cold as the Scandinavian countries, we have mild winters pretty much all the time and warm summers, so the American stereotype of us being pale redheads doesn't make a lot of sense.
                              Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 08-09-2010, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X