Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Someone Brings Up God How Do You Respond?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't like discuss the topic of religion with most people, but if I want to discuss why our primal lifestyle is relevant, for me it boils down as simple as this. You ask someone, "Do you believe that we were created by a god or are you willing to consider that humans were part of an evolutionary process independently of whether or not there is a god?" If someone selects the former then no intelligent conversation on the topic is possible.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

The people believing in God are the same as those back in the day believing in many God's or spirits etc etc. They do it because they are raised too, it makes them feel good and secure, and it provides justification for when bad things happen. And it helps that most people held that belief as well so it provides social support.

But the fact is, religions are on even par with Santa Clause when it comes to being real. But at least Santa is a feel good story that everyone over the age of 7 actually agrees is a myth. At least most sane people.

Comment

"There is no higher God than truth" - Mahatma Gandhi

Faith is a wacky thing, it breeds cognitive dissidence. Heck, it was used as a tool of oppression during the dark ages.

I do believe in God though, but I think organised religion is a scourge.

When people want to listen, there ears will be open. Until then, smile and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by twinmama View Post
          We accept scientific evidence.... and we accept the status that evolution has been given by the scientific community. A Theory.
          I can't tell for sure what you mean by this statement, twinmama. However, there's a possibility that you might mean, "It's just a theory, not fact." Just in case that was your meaning, I want to point out that a scientific theory is not the same as a scientific hypothesis.

This explains it better than I can: http://www.fsteiger.com/theory.html

If that wasn't your meaning, please accept my apologies. Hopefully it will clear up the distinction for someone else who is thinking that evolution is "just a theory".

Comment

For the most part, I don't care about other people's beliefs. When they use things like the Bible (a 3,300 year old book) to pass laws today... I tend to get pissed. Regarding diet - meh.

Usually you just have to let it go. The religious side will always be satisfied with "it's in the Bible" (or whatever text their religion uses) while the atheists (or at least non-believer) often looks to science, logic, and philosophy for answers. Those two usually don't make for friendly conversation.

It reminds me of the "True Believer" post Tom Naughton put up awhile back regarding militant Vegans (http://www.tomnaughton.com/?p=558). It's not so much the object (in this case, religion/ in Tom's argument, Veganism) it's the person who seeks those types of belief systems for some sense of balance in their lives. Let's face it, most people don't like living with doubt. I'm not talking about the mellow Sunday church goer who believes in God, I'm talking about the people who dismiss Evolution simply because the bible states that the earth is 6,000 years old. That's a whole different level of belief.

Comment

As a satanist, when someone mentions god, I just eat their babies.

Remember christians, and their uncool god have been persecuting my people of thousands of years.

Comment

Originally posted by twinmama View Post
                and we accept the status that evolution has been given by the scientific community. A Theory.

gahhhhh I can't let this pass. Evolution is a theory, same as the Theory of Flight and the Theory of Gravity. Please don't dilute scientific terminology with it's layman baby sister meaning.

sorry, but I've just heard "but it's just a theory" about a million times too many - coming from people who fly in airplanes and say 'ouch' when they drop something heavy on their foot

Comment

AAN (Atheists, agnostics, and non-belivers) vs. Religious folks

Round 41,875,213,385,120

Current score: AAN - 0, Religious folks - 0, "Tie" with no one's mind changed and no common ground found - 41,875,213,385,120

Ready? Fight!!!

Comment

^^ rofl
                    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                      I don't. If you believe science and the scientific method of "disprove your hypothesis if you can," then religion is by definition false. I don't respect people who believe things without proof. I can't. If you can, more power to you - but in my opinion, respecting beliefs that have no proof behind them (i.e. RELIGION - and for that matter, most of CW) is just enabling the believers to keep on messing up the world with the consequences of those beliefs.

Yeah... all these guy are idiots... http://www.godandscience.org/apologe...encefaith.html

But you've got the "in my opinion" thing right... just like assholes... everyone has one... Seriously, in your opinion sweat is the worst thing since sliced bread. When we all really know, you just don't like the smell. And it makes you feel icky. There is nothing unnatural about sweat. There is nothing actually wrong with sweat. But something tells me, you've experienced religion in the say way you experience sweat. And if that were my feeling, I wouldn't want anything to do with it either.

With regard to those that "mess up the world"... I suspect the "leaders" of the world, the ones that commit horrifying atrocity and mess up the world are pretenders. They are smart people. They know that the majority actually believes in God. (at least that's what most census will tell you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio..._United_States ). They prey on that. That's what a predator does. Honestly, I'm really quite tired of MAN not taking responsibility for his/her actions. People don't do wrong awful things because God told them to do it... They do it because they WANT to. And if they feel they must defend it, and they must defend it to a majority of religious followers that can't think for themselves, they find a bible quote, they take it out of context, and they say it's in the Name of the Lord... WHATEVER! And the non believers believe them... OMG... You've got 100% belief at that point. Seriously? You don't think that most shit we see in our country (never mind others) is based on the All Mighty Dollar?

You've got believers thinking awful crap is ok because they don't understand their own "beliefs". And you've got non believers thinking the awful crap is done in the name of God, because they don't understand the true beliefs... And the pretenders are happy that everyone is a sheep to that thought process.

I'm not so sure Grif you are aware what most people actually believe, and what they base their beliefs on. You don't actually express interest in finding out. Which is fine. It's your choice. But you stand and say we don't use reason. You are wrong. Perhaps many don't. But many of us do. It may not be reason you can follow. Or even care to listen to long enough to grasp. The laws of physics are also difficult for many to follow. Most can NOT explain them with even the slightest bit of accuracy. The just "believe" them to be true. And in the same way, there are some religious people out there that don't know why they believe. And some that only grasp a word here and there, and they use to abuse others.

Regardless, you've yet to follow your own request in keeping to the subject. It seems to me just last week you were quite pissed that you asked a question regarding your personal needs. And then became quite inflamed when people got off subject, and just ridiculed you. It was actually difficult for me to watch. I dislike very much watching a person struggle.

At least practice what you preach. The OP asked how you might answer the question. Perhaps I assume too much. But I think the question was with regard to getting around a persons belief structure. Not how to belittle a person for their personal situation and belief structure. The OP has a passion for sharing this lifestyle. Not your goal. That's fine.

Primal Toad... almost all Christians believe that their body is very important. They are supposed to take care of it and not abuse it. You can always appeal to that. If ANYONE can answer the following question... Is your diet working for you? with a profound YES. Then move on. They don't need your help. If not, you're not asking them to change their religion... ask them to consider what is going wrong. Ask them to consider how they actually respond to food. Seriously, all I would say is "I'm not interested in changing your faith. This is a diet not a religion. If you can wrap your mind around the fact that we have lots of disease and medical problems today that we didn't have in biblical times, then we must act today with the body that stands before you."

Comment

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5f2...banned-trailer

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiB View Post
                          gahhhhh I can't let this pass. Evolution is a theory, same as the Theory of Flight and the Theory of Gravity. Please don't dilute scientific terminology with it's layman baby sister meaning.

sorry, but I've just heard "but it's just a theory" about a million times too many - coming from people who fly in airplanes and say 'ouch' when they drop something heavy on their foot
                          And so we accept it for EXACTLY what it is... same as the theory of flight... and not it's baby sister meaning. Not sure why you would like to devalue my acceptance of the theory.

You CLEARLY do not understand Catholicism. Don't worry... most Catholics, including myself have much to learn... I point you to this... and draw your attention to this paragraph: When the pope came to the subject of the scientific merits of evolution, it soon became clear how much things had changed in the nearly since the Vatican last addressed the issue. John Paul said:

Today, almost half a century after publication of the encyclical, new knowledge has led to the recognition of the theory of evolution as more than a hypothesis. It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge. The convergence, neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory.

Evolution, a doctrine that Pius XII only acknowledged as an unfortunate possibility, John Paul accepts forty-six years later “as an effectively proven fact.” (ROA, 82)

The rest is here

Now, it may be that the Church is slower to accepting things... But then so are all people. You have half the country debating the safety of vaccines... it's the nature of people to want degrees of proof. And we all vary as to the amount we require...
                          Last edited by twinmama; 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM. Reason: Will I ever spell right again??? I'm guessing NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                            Griff,

First, I find your original post hilarious and...
                            I'm guessing he means figuratively rather than literally. Kung Fu experts aside, guys who point at rednecks and laugh at them for their faith tend to end up in downtown Paintown.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
                              AAN (Atheists, agnostics, and non-belivers) vs. Religious folks

Round 41,875,213,385,120

Current score: AAN - 0, Religious folks - 0, "Tie" with no one's mind changed and no common ground found - 41,875,213,385,120

Ready? Fight!!!
                              LOL! Way too true!

Comment

Originally posted by blank_faceplate View Post
                                I'm guessing he means figuratively rather than literally. Kung Fu experts aside, guys who point at rednecks and laugh at them for their faith tend to end up in downtown Paintown.
                                I know. I addressed it as a figurative and literal comment.

"...downtown Paintown." Nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X