Sad about SAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad about SAD

One thing I'm discovering with this is that ignorance is bliss.

I never used to get sad going to Safeway and realizing that 90% of the food in there will make your life worse.

I am fully amazed at how few things I can really buy at the chain grocery stores.

I had to do a grocery run early this morning for a few things to add to the chuck roast in the crock pot, and I kept thinking about the people who are suffering thanks to Food, Inc.

Sucks.

I hear you. Having done other healthy diets for many years, I am not shocked by what's in grocery stores. But I am sad when I see people, especially kids, who could be so much healthier if they ate right.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

It does stink. I teach, and since it's summer, I have been helping people out with childcare. These people are very health conscious, and the infuriating part is that they are feeding their kids what CW says is "healthy" and they think that they are doing the right thing by avoiding the day-glo jello and the rest of the ilk. I mix up a lot of bunny mac and cheese and frozen pizzas with whole-grain crust. It kind of makes me nuts.
      With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Comment

Feeling the same but curious how to make change without being too "out there". As a parent, I grow food with children at our school but our snacks in the classroom are resoundingly carbs...

How to create change without alienating?

Comment

I think it's coming. It's just gradual. I went to Italy this summer, and they had gluten-free menus (or were knowledgeable about eating gluten-free) pretty much everywhere. My husband, who has been supportive (but dubious) decided to eat the way I did, and ended up losing 7 lbs. while on vacation in Italy. He's ecstatic.

I toe the line at school: I don't feel comfortable telling people how they should eat or feed their kids. My only meddling: if they want seconds, I steer them towards apple slices or a cheese stick rather than the goldfish crackers. In a school setting, I am noticing lots more fruit/veggie plates or cheese and cold-cut trays than the cupcakes with the Crisco icing on the top. People want the best for their kids, and I suspect that's where the change is going to start for a lot of people.

I do sort of take advantage of the fact that kids like to help and experiment, and I try to set a good example. I always take my own "special" snacks when I am at school or someone's house: usually veggies with guacamole, beef jerky, what-have you. I got a text message from a parent, who is delighted that her 6 year old son will now eat zucchini. (I couldn't bear the thought of just mixing up another batch of bunny pasta, so I liberated some squash from their fridge, scored grooves in the outside with a fork to make it "exciting" and sauteed it in butter.)

I have had children ask me why I don't eat cookies, and try to explain why in terms that they can understand: "because cookies hurt my tummy" not what they would normally hear, which is evidently "cookies make you fat." I have heard that parroted at me by kids about everything under the sun: which kind of makes me sad. I usually will say something like "Well, too many cookies or too much ice cream can make you fat. But that's why those things are special treats. Once in awhile is okay."

It is disheartening to walk down the store aisles and wonder how much lobbying the people who grow potatoes have to do to get it classified as a vegetable. It's infuriating to watch those commercials for corn syrup that imply you're a paranoid dingus if you pay any attention to what science is saying about the stuff. It's actually galling to pick up a bag of frozen veggies, and realize that they have been dusted with starch, that they've enhanced your organic heavy cream with thickeners, that lots of things you'd assume are natural and okay are processed within an inch of their lives when you read the label.
          With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful reply...many of these items on my plate as we start the new school year. I feel like I've sold out for a few years and so I have a bit of anxiety about heading in and setting a pace. I chair the "sustainability committee" and my plate runs over but food is my basic, primal interest and I'm planning to stay on task this year.

Your input is appreciated!

Comment

I hear you on trying to think of ways to bring about change without being alienating. I guess I know that I can make sure me and my family eat truly healthy and not processed... and if I refuse to buy processed food, that does do something, albeit a tiny something.

But something. So thats good.

Plus its not my job to change the world... just my house... and that still influences people even without words.

A close friend of mine gave up wheat and sugar entirely 5 years ago... she never once told me to do it or talked about it much... just kindly answered questions.

When i was ready to give up wheat and sugar (finding PB!)... knowing she did it and hadn't eaten any in 5 years made me think I could do it.

I have to remember that. Just doing it yourself and giving up the processed food, inc. stuff will influence the people who are ready to hear it and try it.

Comment

thanks...nice words to live by...

Comment

it makes shopping quicker! Deli -> produce - > meat section - > checkout

DONE
                  Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
                  Current Weight: 266lbs
                  High-school Weight: 235lbs
                  Goal: ????

Comment

...and way cheaper without all of the processed @!%&*!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                      it makes shopping quicker! Deli -> produce - > meat section - > checkout

DONE
                      Seriously, I love the speediness of "outer aisle" shopping, it's fantastic.

Comment

I love food shopping now that I'm not buying processed foods. Tax? what tax? All my food falls under nontaxable under US law. The only thing I get taxed on is the rare splurge on sushi or when I buy chicharonnes.
                        It kind of saddens me when I see the cart of boxes, bags, and plastic without a veggie in sight. You can tell by the packaging that either: A) they're trying to lose weight or go vegan or B) they just don't care. I'm not sure which one bothers me more. The one that hurts my heart the most is the heavyset mother with two small children loading up on juice, lunchmeat, fat- free "cheese," whole wheat bread, several bags of fruit, and "healthy" boxed meals. You can tell she's trying to do what she can on a limited budget, and do right by her kids, but can't figure out why they aren't healthy yet. That just stings to see. I see her or her variations every time I go to the store.
                        I see the woman who piles her cart high with the cheapest store versions of the boxed food and feels shame pulling out her food stamps card. I want to go and talk to her, explain that, if done right, PB is cheaper and that there is no shame in being on public assistance if you need it. But I don't, out of respect.
                        The family of four that weighs 1000 lb together buying soda, donuts, chips, candy, and fried chicken.
                        All these folks I see every time I go to the grocery store. I just want to get on a soapbox in the middle of the store with a speakerphone, y'know? But folks won't listen unless they want to.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

One of the times about the SAD that sucks from my point of view is dating. I'm primal for me and I certainly don't preach or expect anyone else do things the way that I do. That said just telling people about the way I do things seems to alienate me. I'll be the first to admit that I was an eccentric bastard to begin with but now being a primal eccentric bastard doesn't make dating any easier.

There's really multiple version of the SAD anyway. (This would make a great thread come to think of it) There's the "I really want to think about what I eat. I just eat what tastes good" diet, the "I try to eat healthy by avoiding eating low fat." diet , the fast food and junk food diet..... the list can go on.
                          So, when you're someone that tries to eat the "healthy" version of the SAD and you come across a prime what do you think? You don't know about omega six vs omega three, soy or HFCS, let alone grains (which translates into "you don't eat carbs"). Ah screw it!... I'm a primal eccentric bastard and the rest of the SAD eating world is just going to have to find a way to deal.
                          </Rant>
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                            One of the times about the SAD that sucks from my point of view is dating. I'm primal for me and I certainly don't preach or expect anyone else do things the way that I do. That said just telling people about the way I do things seems to alienate me. I'll be the first to admit that I was an eccentric bastard to begin with but now being a primal eccentric bastard doesn't make dating any easier.

There's really multiple version of the SAD anyway. (This would make a great thread come to think of it) There's the "I really want to think about what I eat. I just eat what tastes good" diet, the "I try to eat healthy by avoiding eating low fat." diet , the fast food and junk food diet..... the list can go on.
                            So, when you're someone that tries to eat the "healthy" version of the SAD and you come across a prime what do you think? You don't know about omega six vs omega three, soy or HFCS, let alone grains (which translates into "you don't eat carbs"). Ah screw it!... I'm a primal eccentric bastard and the rest of the SAD eating world is just going to have to find a way to deal.
                            </Rant>
                            Ya, I could definitely see how that could be tougher. Even many of my friends think I'm weird and too extreme for doing this. I could see how that could be off-putting for someone on a first date.

My biggest sad about SAD stories are when I go to WalMart for something. People there buy sooooo much processed crap.
                            I went about a month ago and I'm not kidding you, this one (bigger) lady had a cart full of kraft dinner, candy, and chocolate (I think there were a couple snackpacks and similar things in there as well).
                            But, not even exagerating, she probably had 30-40 boxes of Kraft dinner. It was disgusting.

Comment

But you know, if all I had in my life were a cubicle job that left me too drained to do anything with myself after work, a mortgage and student loans, I would probably say, "Screw it. Who cares?" Deep down inside I might rather be dead anyway.
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X