Rant: " Made with real sugar"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: " Made with real sugar"

I have been hearing this type of rhetoric more and more in advertising. Most recently in a Snapple radio ad. There is a chocolate milk commercial that tells a mother she should be feeding chocolate milk to her child because it contains "just the right amount of sugar". When did sugar become a health food?

What they mean is no HFCS, which is great. There is a HFCS backlash happening in the US now, "high end" junk food like Snapple is going back to real sugar.

Chocolate milk ads - what do you expect anyhow?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Pick your poison. Refined Sugar MAY not be as bad as HFCS, but it still is not healthy.

Comment

I agree! but I am tired of the USA being duped substandard HFCS! no other country in the world allows manufacturers to put it in their food. Sugar may not be good but HFCS makes me so mad !

Comment

I guess if I HAD to choose between artifical sweeteners and refined sugar then the sugar it would be. I will stick to my honey and agave nectar for now. You can make a delicious chocolate drink with carob powder and agave nectar! Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Insane Grokess View Post
            I guess if I HAD to choose between artifical sweeteners and refined sugar then the sugar it would be. I will stick to my honey and agave nectar for now. You can make a delicious chocolate drink with carob powder and agave nectar! Yum!
            in before poster who says that Agave Nectar has higher fructose levels than HFCS.

For a tasty chocolate drink, I blend almond and/or coconut milk with a 1/2 banana, cocoa powder, whey protein, and ice. Very yummy.

Back to topic, it's pretty sad how the general public will just eat up anything they see on TV. Coke or Pepsi could probably advertise that their drinks were sweetened using corn rather than sugar and people would probably start buying it thinking they're being healthy.

Edit: I guess this has actually been done (how sad):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hfcs
            HFCS advertisements
            In September 2008, the Corn Refiners Association[66] launched a series of United States television advertisements that stated that HFCS "is made from corn", "is natural" (changed from previously-stated "doesn't have artificial ingredients"), "has the same calories as sugar or honey", "is nutritionally the same as sugar", and "is fine in moderation", in the hopes of keeping consumers from avoiding HFCS products. The ads feature actors portraying roles in upbeat domestic situations with sugary foods, with one actor disparaging a food's HFCS content but being unable to explain why, and another actor questioning the comments with these claims. Finally, the ads each make reference to the Corn Refiners Association website.[67]

Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, called the advertisements "deceptive",[68] stating: "High-fructose corn syrup starts out as cornstarch, which is chemically or enzymatically degraded to glucose and some short polymers of glucose. Another enzyme is then used to convert varying fractions of glucose into fructose...High-fructose corn syrup just doesn't exist in nature."[69]

Since HFCS is present in a staggering amount of food in the US, and in most foods marketed to children, there are doubts as to whether it can be consumed in moderation.
            Last edited by fufonzo; 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks fufonzo!

Comment

fufonzo thanks for putting the blurb about the HFCS ads out there. My wife would just laugh when they came on TV because she knew how bad they got under my skin. One of the better better ads was when the two women were in the kitchen and about to pour their kids some red substance from a gallon jug. One mom refuses it saying she doesn't want her kids to have HFCS, but then the second mom retorts explaining why HFCS is good...as mentioned in the blurb.

Comment

+1 fufonzo
                  i've seen these PSAs for HFCS. ridiculous! in 30 years (hopefully) they will be showing the same commercials, and the next generation will be shocked at what used to be allowed in our country, similar to the old commercials we see now with the flinstones smoking marlboros.
                  i will maintain the truth
                  i knew naturally as a child
                  i won't forfeit my creativity
                  to a world that's all laid out for me
                  i'll look at everything around me
                  and i will vow to bear in mind
                  that all of this was just someone's idea
                  it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Comment

Better sugar than HFCS.
                    Better wheat than sugar. (debatable on your own situation)
                    Better sweet potatoes/tubers/rice than wheat.

Comment

Yeah, that Snapple ad gets my goat every single time. Another ad that irks me no end is the Kellog's Fruit Loops ad! They advertise how it has a certain number of grams of fiber and therefore healthy but don't mention the high sugar content (and not to mention the mile-long additives and food colors)!
                      Last edited by maba; 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I'll take sugar over genetically modified corn syrup any day.
                        http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

My new outlook on HFCS: The problem isn't "High Fructose Corn Syrup" in and of itself - the problem is it's added to everything. If HFCS is some "poison" that people say it is, then 100% fruit juice is worse - something most parents look for when shopping for juice boxes for their kids.

My understanding is that HFCS is just fructose and glucose, but the two aren't chemically bonded so there is a bunch of "free" fructose that doesn't really get digested. Any fructose that can't be stored in the liver will get converted to fat and stored. Considering there is way more of this "unbonded" fructose in 100% fruit juice, it seems that would be worse for you.

So if you have to have something sweet, Sucrose would be the better option. The problem is when people buy something like a drink or spaghetti sauce that has HFCS added to it for no reason - that fructose will most likely end up in the love handles.

I'm totally open to other opinions as I feel I'm constantly learning about this stuff.
                          Last edited by barryman9000; 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I seem to remember some study that found HFCS to be "uniquely fattening" but they couldn't figure out why. I'm sure someone has the link if I'm not imagining it.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tamo42 View Post
                              I'll take sugar over genetically modified corn syrup any day.
                              +1. I would like to see the people who invented HFCS go down! It makes me happy when I see things sweetened with real sugar. It's like people are s l o w l y starting to get it. I hope the trend continues. Some companies are reducing the amount of sugar they use as well. It's a step anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X