Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the primal way of getting over the flu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the primal way of getting over the flu?

I am sick as a dog- fever, chills, sore throat. I can easily pop a Tylenol but would like to try to cure myself using more natural methods. Any suggestions? The fever is especially difficult to deal with.
    sigpic
    www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Honestly, take an aleve, advil, or motrin and go to sleep. Not all modern medicine is bad.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

The fever may be your body trying to "burn out" the infection. It depends on how high it is. Here is a pretty good article about how to treat (or not treat) a fever: http://www.doctoryourself.com/fever.html

In the article he mentions that a lot of hospitals don't treat fevers until they get over 102f which fits with other articles that I have read. For me when I feel like that my body just shuts down and I sleep but that is just me. If you can't rest because of the fever you might be better off taking something for it. If you can sleep, your body has a better chance of healing itself. If you have to take ibuprofen or Tylenol in order to rest, the trade off is likely going to be worth it.
      Randal
      AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
      Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
      http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Sorry you are not feeling well.

Lots of vitamin D3, C, zinc and sleep always work for me.
        ~Blog~

Comment

I agree that if a fever isn't making you miserable, don't worry about it per se. If it is making you miserable, for goodness sake treat it.

Comment

Professor Michael F. Holick, PhD, MD, the renowned researcher who made many discoveries regarding vitamin D, wrote in his new book, "The Vitamin D Solution":

"A study of postmenopausal women who took 2,000 IU of vitamin D a day showed that they had a 90% reduction in upper-respiratory tract infections compared to women who took just 400 IU of vitamin D a day."

Cillakat has posted extensively and astutely on Vitamin D and testing. Maybe nothing that you can incorporate soon enough to help with the present flu, but why not try to avoid the next one.

Comment

Bone broth. And Tylenol.

Comment

First be sure it "just" the flu and not something worse. Have you recently been bitten by a tick? Look up Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (which is actually more prevalent in the Eastern US/Canada). RMSF can be very serious so if you have been in the woods you may want to see an MD. Actual flu is not very common in the summer (assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere).
                Edited to add that when I was diagnosed I had no rash, and had a severe sore throat (went to the MD because I thought it was strep throat). Most websites neglect to mention that sore throat can be a symptom, and not everyone gets the rash)
                Last edited by Roo; 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Cold Showers every day...you wont feel sick for a long ass time.

Since I done it, I only had the flu once, and it was a really weak version of past experiences .

And itīs two years showering in cold hard water, with steak and bacon just to feel awesome.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I gave in and took a tylenol and taking the day off work. I would suspect that getting sick was a result of stress and taking too much on- so again back to the basics. Rest, good food, and lots of sunshine.
                    sigpic
                    www.pantrybites.com
                    Real Good Primal Food

Comment

Originally posted by pantrybites View Post
                      I am sick as a dog- fever, chills, sore throat. I can easily pop a Tylenol but would like to try to cure myself using more natural methods. Any suggestions? The fever is especially difficult to deal with.
                      1000 IU vitamin d per lb body weight for two days.
                      zinc lozenges
                      elderberry liquid

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

The flu is your bodies way of beating whatever virus, etc. you have. Just take it easy.
                        Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Working...
                        X