Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Why?

(Honest question, not intended to be snarky.)
    Because my body is not up for public consumption. I seriously see no merit in strangers giving me their opinion on my body and I really don't see how they have the right to judge it. And the fact that it's wolf whistles really makes no difference to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tamo42 View Post
      I can only imagine what cillakat is wearing to get stared at in Little 5.
      LOL. I probably stood out for dressing *too* conservatively. I was covered collar bone to ankle to wrists albeit in clothes that were very close fitting.

And as a correction, I'm not 5 ft 2 inches, I'm 5ft and a half an inch. We could just say I'm 5 ft. lol

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I am under 5'2", and it seems that petite women are over-represented here. Hmmm...

Comment

5'4" and built like an ox me

Comment

Originally posted by Egoldstein View Post
            I am under 5'2", and it seems that petite women are over-represented here. Hmmm...
            hehe, so true...i am 5"2!

Too bad i only get stared at/comments by creepy lookin old guys...it probably wouldnt bother me as much if young hot guys did it..

Comment

Mad idea for a thread! I've been getting checked out more than usual lately since going primal which I think is a result of a combination of losing a few pounds and my increased self-confidence (which is reflected in my wearing more slim fitting clothes). Mostly it's good and I'm kind of used to it as I have very striking hair and put a lot of effort into my style so I get complimented quite a bit as a result but the last day I got some attention that upset me a bit, I was in a cafe with 3 male friends I don't know that well sitting at the window and some guy stopped right outside the window and just stared in at me for ages like a total creep (looking me up and down sort of thing) and I know it made the guys I was with uncomfortable and I was worried he was going to come in and harass me. So that was kind of embarassing. Other than that it's been ok, got some really lewd comments from some guys on the street when I was actually holding my boyfriends hand which wasn't very cool but you'll have that I guess. Sometimes a subtle look from a guy is nice and flattering and gives you a nice little confidence boost but it's a fine line to when it becomes demeaning and sleazy. One nice thing that happened lately that I'm not complaining about is a really cool guy I know and admire actually has a little crush on me
              My primal adventures:
              http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
              Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Comment

Oh another thing on a more depressing note, I always notice how much more respect I get treated with when I have a full face of make-up on and am at my slimmest weight. Sadly I've been aware of this for several years and so while being treated better and getting checked out more makes me feels good in the immediate moment it ultimately sets me up for poor self-esteem and the likes when my looks fade or I put on a few pounds again Does anyone else notice this? Like being served in shops etc.. I've gotten to the stage where I won't go out without full make up and a perfect outfit because I don't get treated as nicely.

I also think (in my case at least) the better you look the more you base your sense of self worth on your looks above all else and the attention and validation from others based on your looks becomes almost an addiction. Like I start to feel like I need an attention fix after a while of moping about the house in my pjs and I'm not an outgoing limelight sort of girl belive it or not quite the opposite in fact!
                My primal adventures:
                http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
                Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Comment

I will not stop staring!!! It's the leering you have to worry about :P
                  I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Honestly, I find it intimidating. Another 5'2" midget here

If I'm walking down the street, what gives you (as in "someone") the right to yell at me, whisper comments as I pass by, whistle at me like a dog, yell insults if I ignore you, follow me down the street, or even pull up in the car and tell me to get in?

No thank you.

I know I'm unlikely to be able to fight off anyone, so I tend to go for holding head high and ignoring them; or if there's a nice busy road in between us then a filthy look and/or expletive and/or flipping the bird.

A glance and a smile, on the other hand, are always appreciated

Comment

I find that any woman, regardless of how much she weighs will get leers and jeers--it's just a part of life. I would say the quality of the stares will probably increase as your own self-confidence increases. The more insecure, down-on-herself woman will probably get the gross, rabid pigs whereas an intimidating, muscle-bound, sexy she-ra type will get the really confident guys going up to her...just my thoughts.

Comment

Interesting.. there is only women on here discussing this as a problem, for probably obvious reasons. I would say if its creepy leering then that blows but as far at the attention, staring, flirting, etc. You should enjoy it and just take it for what it is unless it becomes in appropriate or lewd then you should obviously shut it down fast. Everyone on this site after all is in pursuit of embracing elements of the Primal lifestyle and that attention is about as Primal and instinctive as it gets. Men should obviously be respectful and understand boundaries but we can no more turn off looking then we can just stop breathing it is instinct at its most fundamental level. Unfortunately when we look and lock on to something of interest the brain just shuts down for a moment. LOL
                        I would also point out that its presumed that men give all of the unwanted attention,, but we can also receive plenty of it.
                        I am single, straight, and like attention but there are plenty of times when it becomes uncomfortable on my side as well. This attention also comes from women and men. Contrary to popular belief, a man does not necessarily want to hook up with every girl he meets. So it is just as awkward to let someone know your not interested without being rude or hurting a woman's feelings. Trust me we know how hard it is to get up the courage to start that conversation and rejection blows. It is also difficult to tell why your getting eyeballed from another guy. ( jealousy, sizing you up, flirting, with their girlfriend and defensive etc.)
                        Just sharing a view from a different perspective.
                        Very interesting topic.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                          If I'm walking down the street, what gives you (as in "someone") the right to yell at me, whisper comments as I pass by, whistle at me like a dog, yell insults if I ignore you, follow me down the street, or even pull up in the car and tell me to get in?
                          Oh, well this is completely different then staring or giving a compliment...this is just gross and upsetting. I don't even think the "men" who do this kind of stuff are even worth my finger salute.
                          The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

I am of course referring to just looking, flirting, or casual conversation in my reply. Not the obviously inappropriate, creepy, and scary things that have been brought up. Those behaviors and are totally unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
                              Oh, well this is completely different then staring or giving a compliment...this is just gross and upsetting. I don't even think the "men" who do this kind of stuff are even worth my finger salute.
                              B-I-N-G-O... I would also like to believe that in most places, such actions aren't common.
                              Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                              -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
                                B-I-N-G-O... I would also like to believe that in most places, such actions aren't common.
                                Where I have previously lived, commener than you'd think / hope.

I now live elsewhere, but the wariness remains. I probably go into defensive mode far too easily now.

Like I say, glancing, looking, smiling - all good

Comment

Working...
                                X