No announcement yet.

Stop Staring! :) (ok don't!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It happens to guys too. Since I've been paelo/primal (like 18 months now), i'm hitting new levels in fitness/appearance. For example, females coworkers rub/touch my shoulders more, get caught staring, flirt, etc way more than before. I just deflect the raunchy comments off... it goes with the territory.

Originally posted by LemonFreshScent View Post
    HEEEEYYY...NICE TITS! hehehe
    pics or it didn't happen
    Last edited by arthurb999; 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LemonFreshScent View Post
      HEEEEYYY...NICE TITS! hehehe
      Why....Thank You.
      *preens*

Arthur....you rock

Comment

• Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
        pics or it didn't happen
        +1

I'm the "Hot guy" at work. So i get looks, comments, and stares all the time. Most of the time it doesn't bother me. But there's time that people feel like they're entitled to my entire personal life history because of it. I'm a flirter, but I keep it to the girls that want it, and am not pushy in any way. I just like to compliment people. *shrug* Because i'm getting more in shape, I've definitely noticed an increase in the looks and comments since going primal and getting awesome results.

I've very much appreciated all of the thoughtful comments in this thread. It has been enlightening.
        Bax
        Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Fortune cookie that changed my life

Comment

• I start my graduate studies in a little over a month, and as part of my duties I have to be a TA. Once I get into the full swing of PB, I plan on being the "favorite" TA in the physics department...
          Last edited by Velocity; 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM.
          Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
          -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Originally posted by Khrystyna View Post
            Oh another thing on a more depressing note, I always notice how much more respect I get treated with when I have a full face of make-up on and am at my slimmest weight. Sadly I've been aware of this for several years and so while being treated better and getting checked out more makes me feels good in the immediate moment it ultimately sets me up for poor self-esteem and the likes when my looks fade or I put on a few pounds again Does anyone else notice this? Like being served in shops etc.. I've gotten to the stage where I won't go out without full make up and a perfect outfit because I don't get treated as nicely.
            +1 to all of it. I totally notice it. Two of my dear friends are anthropologists - one cultural, one biological. Both have many interesting things to say in regards to appearances, grooming and why they're so important to humans.

Interestingly, the standard level of 'grooming' here in the south is very different than in western Michigan where i grew up. In Michigan, it was the norm to go out without makeup, in sweats, hair in a ponytail. Here? it's just not done. Women go out dressed nicely (ie cute outfit, nice shoes) or even acceptable are cute workout clothes or yoga wear but not in true 'sweats' and oversized t-shirts. The typical level of personal grooming is much higher here than in the north.

And the NE? When I'm deep in NH or VT, it's nearly impossible to find someone wearing makeup. And athletic wear is the standard.

I also think (in my case at least) the better you look the more you base your sense of self worth on your looks above all else
            Now that's where the tricky bits come in. When pretty people are told from childhood that they're pretty, beautiful, cute etc, it is easy to fall into the trap of giving that more weight than it should have.

Hopefully, it's balanced by experiences that define the individual in other ways as well - hard worker, creative problem solver, persistant, notices details, kind, thoughtful, intelligent. But man oh man, because we're so disconnected as a society in general, this can be tricky. Much of my dd11's interactions with strangers have to do with her looks....and have since she was a baby. If we were living in an environement of evolutionary adaptation, with a much smaller social circle and fewer total strangers around, her interactions with others would likely be better balanced and not so heavily looks focused

Regardless of looks though, it's a southern thing to *carry* one's self confidently, behave beautifully ('as if' one is beautiful) and people will respond in kind. That carriage goes a long long way guiding other's perceptions of us and in combination with a friendly smile and eye contact makes all the difference in the world.

We all know people that are either exceptionally good looking or far from attractive who we perceive as less or more attractive (respectively) based on how they carry themselves, and once we get to know them, personality also comes into play in significant ways.

I've done it for men and women alike, maybe more than average due to having a strong Italian cultural heritage and being raised for the most part in South America.
            I went to camp (here) as a teen and definitely saw that side of South American (young) men daily. I've also spent a good bit of time in Italy. It's interesting the cultural differences. Men from both places tend to have both very good manners and are willing to engage much more frequently than US men in verbally complementary behavior or even flirtation. But also, there is just more socializing in general.

When dear SIL and I would walk down the street with the baby carriage, it was hard to make progress as we were stopped so regularly by passers-by wanting to talk about the baby, reach into her carriage and ask all manner of questions about her feeding and sleeping. I thought it was really quite dear.

There was also *much* more social banter between patrons in the coffee bars than one would see here in the states at a coffee shop.

I can see how "chivalry" could be seen by some, to more or less extent, as the last remains of old misogynistic social trends in which women were looked down to as second class citizens. But it can also be seen as putting someone else comfort before your own.
            +1

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

• viva la hotties!!

I have been hit on more in the last year then practically ever in my life added up...& its not like i'm out at the bars more often or anything...I just though it was 30-year old hormones raging or something...
              oh dear...do I smell like sex now?
              lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                +

When dear SIL and I would walk down the street with the baby carriage, it was hard to make progress as we were stopped so regularly by passers-by wanting to talk about the baby, reach into her carriage and ask all manner of questions about her feeding and sleeping. I thought it was really quite dear.

There was also *much* more social banter between patrons in the coffee bars than one would see here in the states at a coffee shop.

+1
                I love this! I wish people weren't so wrapped up in their own little worlds or terrified to communicate. It's so awkward waiting for the elevator or standing in line the coffee shop not being able to have a friendly little chat. If you even make eye contact a lot of people get all weirded out! Sheesh. This weekend we went to a latin american fiestival and it was so fun! People chatted with us all day, and we had such a good time learning about their culture and just sharing a friendly word or too.
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

• my hottie wife gets hit on at the bars all the time since going primal. I mind it not. It's always good for stoking the ego.

+1,234,2465,921 for hotties

and + the same amount for boobs.
                  I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

• This thread has helped me in just getting over it. Thanks all. I decided to make it a game...

Now when I walk around i count how many times i get stared down... in a contest of boobs vs. eyes. The boobs won today... 23 stares vs. 3 eye contact checkouts.

LOL. Might as well make it a game... it takes my focus off the uncomfortable feeling.

Oh, and 1 nice older lady complimented my shoes... yay!

Tomorrow I'm going to compliment 3 older ladies in some way that's sincere . Might as well

Comment

• those must be some great bewbies :P

I try my best to make eye contact, I really do. Sometimes, the boobs just prevail.
                      I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

• Yeah you have to wear a shirt telling boobs to stop staring at your eyes...
                        Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                        -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• ha...classic!
                          I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lovestoclimb View Post

I try my best to make eye contact, I really do.
                            OMG. ROTFLOLPIP.

*win*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                            X