Outdoor Activities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Activities

So, my girlfriend and I are interested in primal (me moreso than her), and as part of that, we want to get outside more often. Right now, we wake up, sit on the computers, maybe go for a twenty minute walk, then go to bed (throw in food and other such things).

We want to spend the daylight hours outside, but we have no idea what to do. We'd love suggestions for activities to do outside that don't necessarily require a lot of people (all our friends work during the day), and aren't traditional exercise/workouts.

Thanks.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

My favorite outdoor activities are bike riding and canoeing.

Comment

Hiking is a pretty good beginner activity... granted it can be amped up as you get more into it... ...

urban exploring...

walking to do your errands

just to name a few...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iskander View Post
        Right now, we wake up, sit on the computers, maybe go for a twenty minute walk, then go to bed (throw in food and other such things).
        Yes, not really enough. I'd look to do something more for three days a week. It's best to mix things up - swimming, running (including sprinting), cycling. Then there's climbing and scrambling - it's called the latter when it's not really climbing. Maybe scramble over some rocks, or climb a tree, or get an hour's tuition on a climbing wall. Also throwing and catching - take a ball or a frisbee. Why not a class in Tai Chi or Yoga one evening a week? Tai Chi isn't strenuous - unless you get deep into it with the right teacher - but you're addressing balance and coordination, which is part of your physical well-being, too. People who, say, only run or only do bodybuilding - both activities people tend to get very obsessed by - fail to exercise different skills and over-specialize. "Primal Man" FWIW was certainly an all-rounder.

Comment

Hiking...bike riding..climbing trees

or just a simple picnic if you dont feel like doing anything involving real exercise and just want to get outside more
          The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

play tag! we really like riding bikes here. the possibilities are freakin' endless;-)
            Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Attend festivals in your area
              Go to an amusement park
              Fly a kite
              Ride a bike
              Go to a roller skating rink
              Go to a farmers' market
              Explore parks & greenways
              Explore your downtown
              Search meetup.com for outdoor clubs in your area (join 'em or get ideas from their outings)
              Adopt a dog
              Dance - at home or at a club

Comment

Blow up a balloon and play "keep it off the ground"
                For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Some of it we're unable to do (classes, bikes) since we don't have any money to spend.
                  "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

Comment

+1 everything already mentioned

get your freak on in the woods, if you do it right you'll get sweaty.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have a sheep dog, if you have a herding dog there are places around that teach competitive herding, its fun to do on a Saturday spend all day on a farm teaching your dog to herd sheep, its a good workout for you and your dog. Dogs in general are a good reason to get outside. walking, dog parks, etc
                      Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
                      Current Weight: 266lbs
                      High-school Weight: 235lbs
                      Goal: ????

Comment

Working...
                      X