No announcement yet.

How Many Primal Folks In Michigan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally from Troy (metro detroit), now I live in Ann Arbor! Great place and a great school.

Comment

I'm in Auburn Hills Michigan. It'd be cool to get to know others living near by so I started a google group. southeastern-michigan-primal-eaters@googlegroups.com, those on the other side should start their own group. I'll probably message the group a lot when I can't find specific recipe items.

Comment

Hey, I've been lurking for a long time. Thought I'd say hello from Ann Arbor to all my fellow Michiganders. I'm originally from Trenton. Also wanted to shout out to those looking for recipe items, check out the Meijer on Ann Arbor-Saline Road. I just noticed their extensive variety meats section the other day. They have beef heart, kidney, tallow, and femur bones (I can attest to their marrow's deliciousness). They also have assorted pig parts and oxtail. I don't think any of it is grass-fed or anything, but it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by welcometogoodburger View Post
          Hey, I've been lurking for a long time. Thought I'd say hello from Ann Arbor to all my fellow Michiganders. I'm originally from Trenton. Also wanted to shout out to those looking for recipe items, check out the Meijer on Ann Arbor-Saline Road. I just noticed their extensive variety meats section the other day. They have beef heart, kidney, tallow, and femur bones (I can attest to their marrow's deliciousness). They also have assorted pig parts and oxtail. I don't think any of it is grass-fed or anything, but it's there.
          Thanks for this! I'm from Dundee, and head up to Whole foods and Trader joes in Ann Arbor now and then. The Meijer down here doesn't have these! I've wanted to try oxtail!

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
            Thanks for this! I'm from Dundee, and head up to Whole foods and Trader joes in Ann Arbor now and then. The Meijer down here doesn't have these! I've wanted to try oxtail!
            Oxtail is definitely next on my list! I'm slowly working up the courage to buy the kidney, just because it's so cheap. Not sure I'm there yet. There's pig ear too, are those just for dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by welcometogoodburger View Post
              Oxtail is definitely next on my list! I'm slowly working up the courage to buy the kidney, just because it's so cheap. Not sure I'm there yet. There's pig ear too, are those just for dogs?
              Can't say that I'm dying to try either! I really love chicken liver, but have yet to try any beef organs. I've tried venison liver though. Kidney just sounds gross.....don't know if I could do that. My grandma used to make headcheese with parts of the pig head....I don't know if the ears were used, but I would actually love to find the original recipe she used. It was delicious.....unfortunately nobody in the family has the recipe.

It's so cool to have found someone local that does the primal lifestyle! How long have you been doing this.....I've been in about 5 months, and I think it's awesome! Everyone else I know thinks I'm crazy.....including my husband.

Comment

I'm about three weeks in. I did Atkins in High School (I was a chubby kid) and lost nearly 20 lbs, so I have some previous low-carb experience, but cutting out artificial sweeteners and all that nasty stuff is really refreshing. I feel for ya when people call you crazy, my roommates live on mini tacos and pasta and get grossed out when I cook heart or eat half a chicken for dinner. The best part about it, I think, is that it doesn't feel like a 'diet' but more of a hobby.

Anywho, it feels like there's enough Groks in Michigan to have a convention...?

Comment

welcometogoodburger, if you put on a convention my wife and I will attend. How about just a potluck in a park somewhere to begin with. Once that gets big enough we can upgrade to a hotel.

Comment

It looks like Primal Toad had the idea a while back. Did that ever happen? If not, we could have a meet-up at a metropark, or maybe one of Michigan's great freshwater beaches? Like Sterling State Park on the scenic shores of Lake Erie, in the shadow of the iconic Fermi II.

Comment

Detroit here!

Comment

Hey there, if there was a Michigan get together, I would be interested in coming.

Also, if anyone here is interested, I am in the process of starting a food co-op in Carleton, MI. Right now, we are stocking Michigan made products, as well as organic herbs/spices, teas, bulk products, grass-fed beef, uncured pork products, and Bell & Evan's Chicken, among other things.

If anyone is interest in becoming a member of the co-op, or interested in being on the board and doing some work (there are benefits to this), please let me know. We are in the start up stages right now. (Becoming incorporated, starting a board of directors, fundraising) This is a non-profit business, and we need dedicated people to help it succeed!

Comment

I would like to set up a meetup but if I did I would make it somewhere in Oakland County which is where I live. It'd be nice if someone more centrally located would set up something. Anyone from Lansing want to create an event? Otherwise I'll investigate getting something going around where I live.

Comment

Five-month bump...I'm in GR!

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                              Do you live in Michigan? Where?
                              Heh. A group of thin people in Michigan is *so* likely to attract attention

(but maybe it does anywhere these days?)

Comment

Originally posted by Benja View Post
                                Hello from the UP, I live in Hancock, MI most of the year, when classes are in session at Michigan Tech. Other than that I'm around northwest Indiana.
                                Wish I saw your post a few months back when you posted it. How are the snow cows of this generation? I can only imagine how much the weight ratio has increased in the 20 years since I last witnessed.

If there was ever a place that needed primal...

Comment

Working...
                                X