No announcement yet.

lupus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow thanks for that it is a lot to take in. it is interesting that for autoimmune diseases cordain also includes taking out nightshades and eggs, alfalfa and NSAIDS.
    you advise no casein. i am wondering what this leaves...

veggies, nuts, avo, olive oil, fruits, chicken, fish - what about tempeh? i dont think cordain is a fan of this though
    as a protein powder what would be acceptable?
    lunch and dinner are easy as salad and veg and protein, just with no dairy and no eggs what the heck does someone have for breakfast?

Comment

I avoid tempeh because I avoid legumes. I have been off nightshades, dairy and wheat for over five years.

Prior to that I had a variety of health problems including IBS, refux, and GI issues, and some indications of the beginning of an autoimmune problem.

When conventional medical principles failed to produce either a diagnosis or a cure, I started an elimination diet, eliminating one group of foods at a time for a period of two months, then moving on to the next.

One of the earlier groups of foods that I eliminated was nightshades. My GI symptoms did not improve a bit, nor did my rash, but unexpectedly all the little aches and pains that had built up in my joints disappeared. So I stayed off nightshades and the joint pains have not come back. In me, the effects of nightshades seem to be dose dependent, so I don't fret if I get an occasional tomato or potato, or vegetable pepper, but I avoid them. It is not uncommon to have joint pain issues respond well to a no-nightshades diet. Why are they called "nightshades" in the first place - because they tend to be poisonous in one degree or another, solanine and so on.

When at the very end of my dietary trial I went off gluten and dairy, all my other symptoms resolved.

What does this leave. Lots of grassfed beef, bison, lamb, poultry, fish and seafood, lots of vegetables, lots of fruits, some nuts except for peanuts. My breakfast might be a grassfed beef patty and a smoothie from fruit and greens, or maybe some uncured turkey bacon and fresh fruit. I use eggs every few days, but would avoid them if I had autoimmune issues in full swing until I was convinced that they were not a problem.

The hereditary aspect of autoimmune is covered well in the Chris Reading MD "Trace Your Genes" book mentioned in my post above. One family member might have one autoimmune disorder and others might have several different autoimmune disorders. Familial gluten intolerance can result in lots of different autoimmune disorders as Dr. Fine points out in his site and the essay I referenced. Thyroid problems of autoimmune nature are sometimes the first presentation of gluten disorders.
      Last edited by Paleo Man; 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM.

Comment

that trace your genes book sounds interesting read. thanks for all the help.

Comment

what protein powder do you use or would you suggest on a casein free diet - as most options use a legume or carb base otherwise (rice, etc)
          would you say egg or just use an isolate?

Comment

does anyone have more info on the elimination diet and how it works? it looks like you do lean meat, fruit and veg for a week or two then add in for a day the foods that may be of bother, then go back to another few days of the original plan, and keep testing like this noticing how you feel?

just curious if things like tubers, avacado, coconut, olive oil or other good fat are acceptable while you do this or you keep it strictly to meat, fish, green veg (no nightshade), fruit

thanks
            kim

Comment

Here is the ani-inflammation diet by Dr. Art Ayers:
              Originally posted by coolinginflammation.blogspot.com
              Anti-inflammatory Diet
              Components of an Anti-inflammatory Diet (focus on meats, fish, eggs and leafy vegetables)
              * Low starch and other simple sugars -- insulin and high blood glucose are inflammatory; so use complex polysaccharides (not starch); starch only in small portions (1/2 banana or one side of a hamburger bun) and preferably in unprocessed, less available forms, e.g. coarse ground or fat coated -- bread with butter; less than 30 gm in any meal, less is healthier, grains are frequently a problem -- gluten intolerance
              * No high fructose corn syrup -- high free fructose (in contrast to sucrose) is inflammatory and contributes to crosslinking of collagen fibers, which means prematurely aged skin; sucrose is much better than alternative sweeteners
              * High ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats -- most vegetable oils (olive oil is the exception) are very high in omega-6 fats and are inflammatory and should be avoided; omega-3 fats from fish oil cannot have their full anti-inflammatory impact in the presence of vegetable oils; omega-3 supplements are needed to overcome existing inflammation -- take with saturated fats
              * No trans fats -- all are inflammatory
              * Probiotics and prebiotics -- the bacteria in your gut are vitally important in reducing inflammation; most of the bacteria that initially colonize breastfed babies and are also present in fermented products seem to be helpful; formula quickly converts baby gut bacteria to inflammatory species and should be avoided completely for as long as possible to permit the baby’s immune system to mature (at least 6 months exclusive breastfeeding.)
              * Saturated fats are healthy and reduce the peroxidation of omega-3 fatty acids at sites of local inflammation, e.g. fatty liver. Saturated fats should be the major source of dietary calories.
              * Vegetable antioxidants -- vegetables and fruits, along with coffee and chocolate supply very useful, anti-inflammatory anti-oxidants
              * Sensible daily supplements: 1,000 mg vitamin C; 2,000-5,000 i.u vitamin D3 (to produce serum levels of 60ng/ml); 750 mg glucosamine
              * Associated anti-inflammatory lifestyle components:
              exercise (cardiovascular and muscle building),
              minimizing body fat,
              dental hygiene
              vagal nerve stimulation
              http://coolinginflammation.blogspot....mmatory%20diet
              As we can see, this is your basic Primal Diet with optimal vitamin D3 and other supplements;

This message thread is timely because a woman at our church is now suffering with Lupus..

Best of health to all,
              Grizz
              Last edited by Grizz; 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE DO ABOUT YOUR DOCTOR ? ? ?

The doctor is going to prescribe powerful drugs to destroy the immune system,
                and a cocktail of other powerful drugs such as:
                * reduce inflammation caused by lupus
                * suppress your overactive immune system
                * prevent flares, and treat them when they occur
                * control symptoms like joint pain and fatigue
                * minimize damage to organs

What about a conflict with these drugs & Vitamin D3 ?
                I already know that doctors don't like Vitamin D3, and will advise against taking 5,000 IU or more with the lame excuse that it is an overdose that will cause kidney stones and hypercalcemia. Damnable doctors will also prescribe the usual High Carb low fat diet.

What kind of doctor does a person suffering with Lupus go to?
                ( to get proper guidance )

See this link for the horrors being done with Lupus Patients:
                http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...245&zoneid=525

Our friend in church is following doctors orders and is not likely to listen to me.

Please advise,
                Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by kimk8202 View Post
                  another question - supplements that are good are fish oil, glucosamine, but are there any supplements you know that make it worse

i heard to avoid alfalfa - i looked today and it is in some multi vitamins!
                  anything else?
                  There are ways to determine which immune pathway is overactive (th1/th2 balance) and avoid supplements with stimulate the dominant one while using supplements that stimulate the underactive one.

For example, I have Hashimoto's and I'm th-1 (cell-mediated) dominant, so I can't take echinacea, licorice, astragalus, beta glucan, maitake mushrooms and other immune stimulating herbs that stimulate killer cells.
                  I take th-2 stimulators to balance my immune response (things like grape seed, green tea, resveratrol, pine bark, pycnogenol- basically the polyphenol antioxidant group). These would make someone who is th-2 dominant worse, though, as would caffeine.

Some safe supplements for either group are colostrum, Vit. D, fish oil, turmeric and Oxicell transdermal glutathione/SOD cream (which modulates the inflammation and immune system).

Finding out which pathway makes a big difference in autoimmune management, as does optimizing D and cutting gluten. If you email the folks at www.thyroidbook.com they will email you a list of people trained in the immune balancing protocols. Many of them will work with your mom long distance if there's no one near her.
                  http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Reversing Kidney disease

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                    My father in law has Lupus and RA. I'd love to hear more about what could help him, too. I told him to try a gluten free diet, but I don't think he's stuck to it.
                    Greetings SoneAgeQueen,

Just curious to know how your father in law reversed kidney disease? I beleive I have early signs of lupus but have not been diagnosed yet? Any advice on what you know. Also, what is your take on the Zymessence enzyems by Dr. Wiliam Wong. In one of his lectures he stated that Dr Carl Rumbard cured his kidney disease with systemic enzymes. He actually lived another 20 something odds years when he was told that he would die in 2 years due to a condition called glomerulonephrosis/itis. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

dell

Comment

Wow, this is some awesome information, I plan to start researching now.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X