The 'Poo-less Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Poo-less Thread

I can't scroll through that mile-long blog post anymore...so I'm starting this thread. Talk to me about your 'poo-less ways! What do you use instead, in what amounts, how often, etc. Also talk to me if you don't use soap anymore - face, pits, feet, private bits. What, if anything, do you use instead?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

I am 'poo-less. I use baking soda for my hair/scalp and ACV for my conditioner. I'm sure the amounts as I just mix the baking soda to a paste and then put some on my hair and massage into my scalp, then rinse, (I have a container with baking soda in my shower), and for ACV I have a bottle that I mix about 4:1 Water: ACV and then put some on the ends of my hair and a little on the rest, wait about 10 seconds and rinse.

I'm still using soap, though I have used baking soda to help get rid of dry skin on my hands, knees, elbows, and feet.

Comment

@dakini, do you use the baking soda every day or every OTHER day? I tried one week of the baking soda "shampoo" method & i'm kind of ashamed to admit that I missed my shampoo (wince).

I'm testing the oil cleansing method for my face, but i'm only 1 day in so far. I used castor oil mixed with coconut oil. My skin IS soft today! I usually have trouble with acne & finding the right balance of malicious & gentle...so I'm hoping this works in the long run. Gonna give it a week.

I use Dove soap. i heart heart heart dove bar soap. with a loofah glove it feels SO good!

Comment

I'd been wanting to switch from my Herbal Essences wavy hair formula. It rocked in the winter, but dried out my hair in the summer. So I just switched to Dr. Bronner's castile soap a few days ago. I like it! Hair feels strange when I rinse it out, but good results. And last night, I tried apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. I HATE the smell of vinegar--really, cannot stand it, cannot cook or clean with it, absolutely cannot have it on salad. But someone on here said it would rinse right out without odor. Not exactly true. While my hair was drying, I could still smell it a bit, but it wasn't nearly as offensive an odor. Now that my hair is dry, the smell is gone.

I use Dr. Bronners for soap now too, but not on private bits. Mine is peppermint, and that was not a great idea. Odd feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by waxleaves View Post
          I use Dr. Bronners for soap now too, but not on private bits. Mine is peppermint, and that was not a great idea. Odd feeling.
          I don't know...could be fun.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
          5'10" female, 38 y/o
          WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
          DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
          EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

It's cold! That's all it feels like--no tingle--just like some wintry air. Very awkward-feeling.

Comment

I'm 5 days into no-'poo. I'm *amazed* at how ungreasy my hair is. I've done the baking soda/AVC (with rosemary oil) once. Someone just complimented me on my hair and how beautiful it looked. I did get a boar's hair bristle brush yesterday, to help spread the oil down to the ends. I feel as though the roots are still too oily and the ends are still too dry. It's been a great experiment so far!

As for soapless -- I haven't completely managed that yet. Too chicken. (^_^) I have stopped using my Dove unscented soap on most of my body -- just doing the PTT bath (pits, tits, and tushy) I did use my scrubby all over my skin without soap today, to slough off anything that's dry or dead. We'll see how it goes. Oh -- and I started using coconut oil for my hands and feet. My cat's a *big* fan of the change.
              If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

It has been about a week and I think it's getting better. I'll give it another month and see how it goes. I don't notice any terrible smell although it is a little dry.
                Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I tried going totally 'poo-less a few times and my hair always got way too greasy (I have long, thin, fine hair). Last night I tried baking soda and ACV as recommended by others (about 1TB each / cup of water or so). I like the results! My hair is very clean and feels great! I might use less baking soda next time as, if anything, my hair got a little dried out.

I normally don't use soap at all when I'm bathing, but my fiance is adamant about using soap, so I use it when I'm around her. I might have to find a soap that I like for the future. Anyone have any links to studies/evidence that you can get clean using just water? I don't notice any bad smell unless I just worked out really hard and didn't rinse/scrub my pits very well and didn't apply deoderant after. I guess the deoderant is my one remaining cosmetic concession. I use it just in case I start sweating at work I guess. I'm open to any suggestions about deoderant!

While I'm blabbing away, I'll also mention that I normally don't use toothpaste. Just floss and brush really well with water. My fiance has the same objection to that as with the shampoo, so I got some toothpaste from Trader Joe's that is a little better than most commercial brands; the taste isn't so overwhelming. That's my main objection to most toothpastes: the overwhelmingly sweet/crazy flavor. Since eating less sweet stuff, my tolerance for it has diminished.

I feel like I should stop now, hahaha. Coffee at the end of an IF make me too hyper and talkative (typative?) apparently. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                    I'm open to any suggestions about deoderant!
                    Crystal Original Stick! I just started it a few days ago, but when I put it on right after a shower, it works incredibly well.

Comment

PTT bath...LOL! That's what I've done most of my life anyway (well, I swap tits for feet), although once a week I wash everything - when I was in high school my mom caught me with an apparently really dirty back of the neck, and I've been slightly paranoid ever since about not walking around with dirty parts! That said, until today I had been on 7 days without shampoo or soap, and my body seemed fine. My mind got in the way today, though, and I used both. And I don't like it! My hair feels dry and flyaway, and my skin too. Boo. So I'm back to 'pooless and soapless! No ACV yet because I'm away from home until Monday and don't want to buy a whole bottle just for a tablespoon, but when i get home I'll give it a try.
                      Last edited by ommmmaggie; 06-30-2010, 02:45 PM.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                      5'10" female, 38 y/o

Comment

Has anyone tried using vinegar for the body, too? Might be TMI, but I know douches are traditionally made with vinegar...

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                        5'10" female, 38 y/o

Comment

I washed my hair with shampoo last on May 24th, so a little over a month into my no poo experiment. I do 1tbs baking soda with cup water, and 1-2 tbs ACV with water about every 3-4 days right now (I add in rosemary or tea tree oil drops). I do water only washes almost every day in between BS/ACV scrubs. When I got back from camping last weekend I did use a small amount of Dr Bonners as I was super dusty from trail riding and campfires, followed up with ACV again. I am fairly happy with my progress. I used to have dry scalp issues when I tried to not shampoo for a couple days, but when I eat low carbs and good fats that goes away, so I have had no problems this round. Not overly greasy, and no smell issues. I did try a new ACV technique (less water more vinegar), and that has left more smell then usual no matter how much I rinse. I have really really hard water, and so I am struggling with the baking soda, but I wanted to give it a good test before trying something else. I am currently researching other options (salt, egg, tea) since it looks like hard water and baking soda can make it difficult to get the hair as clean. I do not see me going back to shampoo at this point, but might take a few more experiments to get my formula right.

As for soap, right now I use very minimal and as natural as I can find....just on the areas that 'need' it per say. Sometimes I just use a wet washcloth on everything else, or just water only. My skin has been SO much less dry and I have had reduced irritation in some areas I get mild rashes now and again. Again, no smell issues, I am very happy that I stopped over using soap. I am still scrubbing my face with a mild natural cleanser almost daily, but I am researching alternatives. Trying to do one thing at a time so I can accurately identify any problems that pop up.

About 10 days ago I started using Burts Bees Deodarant after reading some discussions. Many said they used alcohol to kill bacteria and baking soda to absorb odors. I thought this might be a nice in between test. So far I am sweating more (probably a good thing), smell.....sort of depends on what I am doing. Just being active outside it is not bad at all, and usually fades in a short time. If I am doing something like indoor climbing, its a bit more strong...but again seems to fade. Its not nearly as bad as I expected, and seems to be improving over time. Since I do shave my underarms, there is of course a bit of sting with the alcohol, but it is not bad. No irritation has developed.

I am narrowing it down....most of my bathroom looks more like a kitchen cabinet, just a couple minor items to keep moving away from and I will be very happy with my progress.
                          Erin
                          Daily Vlogs
                          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

I have heard good things about vinegar being used as a facial toner for oily skin....never been brave enough to try it though, although I might bust it out this week. The instructions in my green clay mask say to mix with apple cider vinegar. I use it to cut though grime on my countertops, so....

I tend to shampoo once a week- since my hair is long, I put coconut oil on the ends first. Since the shampoo I use isn't the traditional sort: it's sulfate, phthalate, and paraben free, I don't worry about it too much: I definitely have noticed positive changes since I switched from traditional shampoo. Very few split ends, and it's much more manageable and has more bounce and shine. I haven't been to the salon since February, and it still looks great- normally it would be ratty and the ends would be breaking off by now.

One thing that has really helped me: I have long wavy hair, which looks great the day I wash it, and then gets tangled and frizzy and kind of half-@ssed looking. I have straightened it for years, because I always considered it easier. I have been (for the past week) spritzing it with a spray bottle and scrunching daily, so I decided to use a few drops of essential oils in my spray bottle: clove, vanilla, and cinnamon leaf. Rave reviews from my husband, compliments on my newfound curls from complete strangers- it looks and smells great, and I don't feel like such a "dirty hippie".
                            With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Comment

Actually, I accidentally slid into 'poo- less it seems. I switched to the Giovanni tea tree shampoo and conditioner, and then started only washing my hair every other day. After my hair was used to that, I went to whenever my hair got the "greasies" (in waist length hair, it's noticeable.) Last Saturday was the last time I washed my hair. It made a feeble attempt at greasy Saturday, but I was too lazy to wash it. Sunday, I woke up and it was fine. Monday, I got a few dandruff flakes, brushed those out. Yesterday and today, it's fine.
                              All I do is scrub my scalp with my fingertips under the showerhead for about a minute and rinse. I think my hair went 'poo- less so easy because it's so healthy. Only ever been dyed twice: dyed the under- half purple freshman year in college and highlights for my wedding. I never use products, hair dryer, curler, or any of the electronic crap. My hair'll dry when it dries and won't hold a curl for more than 5 min anyways. In a way, I was kinda surprised, because it's very baby fine, very long, and a LOT of hair (surprises most hairstylists.)
                              As to soap, I use Dr. Brommer's almond castile soap in pits and bits. Been doing this since the post. No problems yet, seems to be helping some. Use the same stuff to create lather to shave legs and such.
                              For my face, I use water.
                              FWIW, our water is REALLY hard, so I dunno how well it works for normal or soft water.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X