No announcement yet.

Cold hands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Raynaud's (the secondary form- yeah me!), so I am all too familiar with cold hands, cold feet and even getting cold down to my core in just chilly a/c. I've been dealing with this for over 10 years and I can tell you there's no easy fix. Gotta wear gloves, thicker socks, jackets, keep a blanket at my desk (I wear it over my lap generally but have been known to bundle up when the heat is wonky or the a/c is in arctic mode), always carry a light jacket when I go to dinner/movies/etc.

In Good Calories, Bad Calories I learned that people who consume high protein will generate more body heat. I don't think that I am consuming "high protein" necessarily, but anecdotally, I haven't noticed a difference (bad or good) for how cold I feel since going primal.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Comment

Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
      I have Raynaud's (the secondary form- yeah me!)
      Check your vitamin D levels! Optimizing my vitamin D levels cleared up my psoriasis, all of the markers I'd developed for hashimotos, lupus and RA, and possibly stopped celiac. I don't mention the celiac thing too much b/c it's impossible to be certain and is very very controversial. But, I will say that my blood markers have been coming back negative for a couple of years and for about a year right before I went seriously primal, I was eating a lot of gluten. Bad, I know.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I've got orders for new labs before my next appt with my rheumatologist- it'll be the first labs I've done since going primal so I am pretty interested to see the numbers. (Although they've got me on meds and I am sure that'll get the credit for any improved numbers) Granted, they won't test for vit d....so maybe I should just spring for it.

I wouldn't say that I am primal, per se, but I follow Dr. Ayer's anti-inflammation diet. It has literally changed my life- I'm gonna live longer AND I'm gonna feel great doing it. =) Related to your psoriasis, as soon as I changed my diet, my chronic dandruff went away in less than a week.
        Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
        ~Borges

Comment

Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
          I've got orders for new labs before my next appt with my rheumatologist- it'll be the first labs I've done since going primal so I am pretty interested to see the numbers. (Although they've got me on meds and I am sure that'll get the credit for any improved numbers) Granted, they won't test for vit d....so maybe I should just spring for it.

I wouldn't say that I am primal, per se, but I follow Dr. Ayer's anti-inflammation diet. It has literally changed my life- I'm gonna live longer AND I'm gonna feel great doing it. =) Related to your psoriasis, as soon as I changed my diet, my chronic dandruff went away in less than a week.
          yeah, all of that too (see my journal for the long list of things that went away)

be sure your labs are done by labcorp and not quest (well, at least the vitamin d part of the labs) my post below on D has some information on the problem with quest.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I try to keep my protein intake high and I still get cold hands. I hadn't heard before that protein increases body temperature, but I'm not wanting to lose any muscle mass as I lose my remaining tummy fat.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Thanks for the info, cillakat. I'm off to work but will check out the vit d link when I get home.

Daemon - the protein/increase of body heat is a ways into GCBC but I found it very interesting. Don't recall specific numbers being cited though....
              ~Borges

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned iodine yet? I've had problems with always-cold hands that turned horrid shades of blue and purple and red ever since I was really young. My dad was Dx's with Raynaud's, so by default I figured that must be what I have. I was hoping going primal might help, which I think it did, but not very much.
                However, recently I did a little reading up on iodine, and how most people in America today are deficient in it (and a symptom of this deficiency can be cold hands/feet). I started taking Lugol's iodine solution (started at 3.125mg, then 6.5, now 13), and I don't know if its just cuz its summer now, but about 75% of the time my hands have been normal colored (which they NEVER were before!) and normal tempature! I really think the iodine is working for this (on a side note, all of my fibrocystic breast tissure is gone too yay!!), but the real test will be when winter comes...brr! :P
                HTH!!
                My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
                *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Comment

This is just my opinion and I have no research, but I wonder if my cold hands aren't related to the fact that I have thin wrists. From working out, my forearms have grown to a very respectable size and my hands have always been very strong. There really aren't any muscles on my wrists though that I can work one though so, they're still thin and scrawny. (Handcuffs work really well on me) I wonder if just not enough blood can get to my hands.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Ika View Post
                    I don't think anyone mentioned iodine yet? I've had problems with always-cold hands that turned horrid shades of blue and purple and red ever since I was really young. My dad was Dx's with Raynaud's, so by default I figured that must be what I have. I was hoping going primal might help, which I think it did, but not very much.
                    However, recently I did a little reading up on iodine, and how most people in America today are deficient in it (and a symptom of this deficiency can be cold hands/feet). I started taking Lugol's iodine solution (started at 3.125mg, then 6.5, now 13), and I don't know if its just cuz its summer now, but about 75% of the time my hands have been normal colored (which they NEVER were before!) and normal tempature! I really think the iodine is working for this (on a side note, all of my fibrocystic breast tissure is gone too yay!!), but the real test will be when winter comes...brr! :P
                    HTH!!
                    It has been a couple years now and I was wondering if the iodine (or anything else) has helped anybody recover from Raynaud's?

Comment

Working...
                    X