If you could live anywhere...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could live anywhere...

If you could pick anywhere to live (in your current country), where would it be and why?

This is assuming you'd move with your immediate family (spouse, children, pets) and not necessarily be close to any extended family (if you were before). For the sake of the thought experiment, don't worry about the cost of moving or jobs.

I'm daydreaming about where we might move someday and suddenly have no idea how to figure it out. Married young professionals with two cats... We have plenty of options. We generally prefer suburbs with some kind of city life nearby (within 30 min travel).

Anywhere in Northern US that gets significant snowfall is off my list right away, but that still leaves a lot of options. I keep thinking about Arizona, but the climate change would be really drastic from what I'm used to in Massachusetts. I've never lived anywhere else.
    Depression Lies

Oh, honey. Come to Naples, FL
    You.will.never.leave.

Comment

Jalisco, Mexico. There are green valleys, beautiful mountains and beaches in this state. Lots of good fish, meats, vegetables and fruits available. Cost of living is very reasonable compared to the USA. A comparable home in Mexico will cost about a 1/3 or even less.

Comment

Best small city in America - http://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/...rica-22044.php

Also, one of the 10 best places in the world to retire. - http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ld-to-retire/9

Made the transition from Southern California 25 years ago and never looked back. Friends and family love to visit when possible. A ton of Yankee transplants here, including my closest friend.
        Ht: 5'8"
        Wt: 166
        BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
          Oh, honey. Come to Naples, FL
          You.will.never.leave.
          My impression is that FL is insanely humid. And I'm not sure I want to be in hurricane land!
          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S View Post
            Best small city in America - http://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/...rica-22044.php

Also, one of the 10 best places in the world to retire. - http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ld-to-retire/9

Made the transition from Southern California 25 years ago and never looked back. Friends and family love to visit when possible. A ton of Yankee transplants here, including my closest friend.
            Santa Fe would be pretty hard to beat.
            Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
            Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Being a native Texan, I am prejudiced to any place between the Red and Rio Grande Rivers... San Antonio was the last place we lived.. and I loved it there.... great food, lots to see, and fairly centrally located...

Comment

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                Being a native Texan, I am prejudiced to any place between the Red and Rio Grande Rivers... San Antonio was the last place we lived.. and I loved it there.... great food, lots to see, and fairly centrally located...
                The San Antonio area is home to some great music and musicians too, especially if you like Conjunto, ala Flaco Jimenez, Nick Villarreal, and so many others.

Probably a little too warm and tumbleweedy for me though.

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

The San Antonio area is home to some great music and musicians too, especially if you like Conjunto, ala Flaco Jimenez, Nick Villarreal, and so many others.

Probably a little too warm and tumbleweedy for me though.
                  yeah, it is a tad warm.... which is why the gods made cerveza fria...

Comment

Since my country is only slightly larger than Massachutetts I'd unfortunately have to emigrate to change climates.

Comment

You will be in my "sweet spot" for your upcoming camping experience in N. Ga. I like the mountains and hill country near mountains and want to be within striking distance of beaches.
                      The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

New Mexico is on my new research list. I'm definitely not ruling out somewhere in Texas either.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          New Mexico is on my new research list. I'm definitely not ruling out somewhere in Texas either.
                          I'm in Texas, but if I had a choice, it would be the mountainous parts of New Mexico. If I had my choice, in Texas, it would be Fredrickburg or some other small town in the Texas hill country, generally west of the I-35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio. My second choice in Tejas would be the coastal area between Corpus Christi and Port Isabel, although it can still be hot and humid and hurricane prone.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                            I'm in Texas, but if I had a choice, it would be the mountainous parts of New Mexico. If I had my choice, in Texas, it would be Fredrickburg or some other small town in the Texas hill country, generally west of the I-35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio. My second choice in Tejas would be the coastal area between Corpus Christi and Port Isabel, although it can still be hot and humid and hurricane prone.
                            I believe Forbes recently rated San Antonio as one of the 12 fastest growing cities in the country, with Austin narrowly edging it out. This can be a considered a plus, or a minus, depending on one's aspirations and peculiar situation.

Comment

I believe Forbes recently rated San Antonio as one of the 12 fastest growing cities in the country, with Austin narrowly edging it out. This can be a considered a plus, or a minus, depending on one's aspirations and peculiar situation.
                              Overall, I would put it in the minus column, myself, but there's still plenty of God's country left to the west of that corridor between them, with good access to either city when cravings for good music, drink and food strike.

Comment

Working...
                              X