Wild mushrooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild mushrooms

I know there is a foraging thread somewhere but I can't find it. Anyway, I found this beauty today. It's a maitake(hen of the woods)mushroom.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Seriously jealous here... Nice find indeed.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

You are so lucky!!! Maitake is my favorite mushroom, but it doesn't grow wild here.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
        You are so lucky!!! Maitake is my favorite mushroom, but it doesn't grow wild here.
        That was my first one and I cooked it for dinner. I must say, it's my favorite now. Amazing texture and flavor. I'm gonna scour the woods this week and see if I can't get some to freeze for the winter.

Comment

Beautiful thing, I have never seen a fresh (not dried) maitake before!!!

Comment

Came across these today as well but I didn't pick any. I believe they're honey mushrooms but I'm not an expert and honeys have a couple dangerous look alikes. I'm gonna pick some tomorrow and do a spore print. I love mushrooms and really want to try these.

Comment

Found a dandy today. Probably about 5 or 6 lbs.

Comment

Scored this Bear's Head Tooth today as well.

Comment

Today's keep.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                    Scored this Bear's Head Tooth today as well.
                    We call those Lion's Mane (Hericium erinaceus). Probably the most medicinal mushroom you will find!

Hericium erinaceus: an edible mushroom with medicinal values. - PubMed - NCBI
                    Neurotrophic properties of the Lion's mane medicinal mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Higher Basidiomycetes) from Malaysia. - PubMed - NCBI
                    Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) mushroom extracts inhibit metastasis of cancer cells to the lung in CT-26 colon cancer-tansplanted mice. - PubMed - NCBI
                    Hericium erinaceus mushroom extracts protect infected mice against Salmonella Typhimurium-Induced liver damage and mortality by stimulation of inna... - PubMed - NCBI

I like it sauteed lightly in butter, but as a head is usually too big for a meal, I find it dries very well in my dehydrator for later addition to stews/soups or simply rehydrated and sauteed. Goes great with scrambled eggs!

Good finds, all of them!
                    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Tatertot, I believe this is the Hericium Americanum variety. I'm really just getting into this stuff. I've morel hunted for years and I'm now learning there are so many more and better shrooms in my region.

Comment

I'm eating the Bear's Head Tooth right now. I sautéed it until the water was cooked out then sprinkled some old bay and fish sauce on it. All I can say is I hope I can find some more of these.

Comment

Medicinal Lion's Mane - A Dementia Treatment?

Lion's mane has many uses beyond just looking really cool. This strange specimen is considered a medicinal mushroom.

Traditional Chinese Medicine has long prescribed it for stomach problems and cancer of the digestive organs. Modern research suggests that these mushrooms also have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as supporting the immune system against certain types of cancers.

The lion's mane mushroom is a possible dementia treatmentYet the most exciting discovery about this mushroom is its ability to possibly heal nerve tissues. It contains molecules known as hericenones and erinacines, two compounds suspected to stimulate nerve growth factor (NGF).

NGF is a protein necessary for nerve cells that send information to the brain to function properly. Lack of NGF is considered a cause of certain neurological problems such as Alzheimer's and dementia.

Unfortunately, this protein can't pass through the blood-brain barrier. So treating dementia by injecting NGF into the body isn't going to work.

This is where lion's mane comes in! Due to their low molecular weight, the nerve regenerating compounds in this mushroom do pass the blood-brain barrier. This allows them to stimulate and repair nerve cells in the brain itself, increasing cognitive function.

Healing neurons and myelin (the sheath surrounding nerves) may be useful in treating:

Dementia
                          Alzheimer's
                          Muscular Dystrophy
                          Senility
                          Parkinson's Disease
                          Other Neurological Conditions
                          I say possibly as more research still needs to be done before we call this a concrete dementia treatment. Many initial studies seem very promising, including this one done in Japan on people with mild cognitive impairment.

If you want to start supplementing with then it's important to buy from a reputable company. There's a lot of hype surrounding Hericium erinaceus, so research carefully before purchasing. If you have any experience about using this mushroom medicinally feel free to share your story here.

- See more at: http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com...ane.html#.dpuf

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                            Tatertot, I believe this is the Hericium Americanum variety. I'm really just getting into this stuff. I've morel hunted for years and I'm now learning there are so many more and better shrooms in my region.

I'm green with envy! It sounds like you live in mushroom heaven! Last year was so dry in CA we barely got any mushrooms.
                            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Am remembering the days in high school picking buckets full of morels with Mom in the forest behind our home. Had no idea at the time how amazing that was, though I did throughly appreciate the flavours. Learing more about foraging is one of my goals when we retire to the west coast in a few years.
                              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X