X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing for glyphosate in breastmilk and urine

See this page at Moms Across America:

Glyphosate Testing - Moms Across America

I like your posts a lot, but damn, they scare the crap out of me even more than just my own paranoid thinking.

I thought the world was a s**thole back when I was of child bearing age, but I had no idea how much worse it would get. The poisoners in bed with the people supposed to keep the poisoners at bay. I don't know about the autism link because I'm guessing there are other things that could be correlative, but I'm willing to give it a think.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Should mothers also be testing for salt, given that it is more toxic than glyphosate?

Salt, Vinegar, and Glyphosate | Control Freaks

As for the correlation graph:

Correlation between autism diagnosis and organic food sales - Boing Boing

Comment

Gimme salt over Roundup any day on my fries!

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
          Gimme salt over Roundup any day on my fries!
          Well, Bazzz is welcome to spread industry lies. He might find with time that fewer and fewer people listen to them, however.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            I thought the world was a s**thole back when I was of child bearing age, but I had no idea how much worse it would get.
            No, nor I. But once you start looking diligently, you find the skeletons keep falling out of the cupboard.

This kind of thing goes back a long way, though. William Duffy talks about the suborning of government agencies - and of academia besides - in Sugar Blues. And when was that first published? 1975. There's an interesting account in there of how Teddy Roosevelt, who does seem to have been fairly well-meaning, was manipulated by members of his cabinet.

The poisoners in bed with the people supposed to keep the poisoners at bay.
            Quite.

I don't know about the autism link because I'm guessing there are other things that could be correlative, but I'm willing to give it a think.
            It's possible there are. But there certainly is a good correlation, and since there are plausible mechanisms, it's not something that can be ignored by anyone who hasn't an axe to grind. And scientists who haven't haven't been.

I think the important thing to bear in mind is that glyphosate is a powerful antibiotic. Unsurprising, since it's a very powerful chelator. (There's a lot more that could be said on that, but I'll leave that for now.) Anyway, I daresay Monsanto would now wish that it were forgotten that it has been patented as an antibiotic, but there the patent is on file:

Patent US7771736 - Glyphosate formulations and their use for the inhibition of 5 ... - Google Patents

I think Professor Emeritus of plant pathology Don Huber talks about that, among other things, here:

Dr. Huber: Things You Need to Know About GMO and Roundup

Of course, glyphosate would be medically useless in that application, since it absolutely flattens beneficial bacteria such as lactobacilli.

It's always been Monsanto's deliberately deceptive argument - they're really not as stupid as that - that the agent inhibits the shikimate pathway, but that humans don't have a shikimate pathway. (That's kind of irrelevant anyway, since powerful chelators can have other effects.) But that argument ignores the elephant in the room: that you have some four pounds of bacteria in your gut that do use that pathway.

Apparently, it looks like C-Diff has no problem with glyphosate, however. Isn't that a comforting thought?

(As an side, I'm beginning to wonder why quite so many people turn up here complaining of fairly serious gut dysbiosis. And I'm not sure that there's not an explanation other than the one that's usually assumed for why many people feel so much better on Paleo/Primal diets. Are grains and legumes really so bad in and of themselves? Or is the fact that they get so much Roundup sprayed on them perhaps more of a problem? Did you know, that it's also used not just as a pesticide but as a "drying agent" on crops like wheat and chickpeas? Brings them off ready for harvesting, so you don't have to keep harvesting machinery waiting around. Fancy some hummus?)

But before I disappear completely down a rabbit hole … I think we have to remember the gut. There's a recent podcast of Jimmy's where Peripheral nerve surgeon Dr. Richard Jacoby explains how gut dysbiosis is likely driving autism:

964: Dr. Richard Jacoby Examines The Role Of Sugar In Permanent Nerve Damage | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

It's interesting that Dr. Perlmutter seems to have managed to get a ten year old boy who is on the spectrum to get to the point where he can now hold a conversation through fecal transplant. It kind of underlines the likely importance of the gut. The mechanism here is probably metabolites of overgrown "unfriendly" bacteria poisoning the brain:

Autism Case | David Perlmutter M.D.

I guess this boy is unlikely ever to live a fully normal life, but at least Dr. Perlmutter has given him, and his parents, a lot. God bless him.

In that case, of that 10 year old, it seems likely that antibiotics were the culprit, because his mother was on them repeatedly while pregnant.

However, Dr. Jacoby specifically mentions glyphosate as an agent causing problems with the normal gut microbiome, and with fetal development, in that interview with Jimmy.

Comment

Thank you for these links, especially for the one featuring Dr. Huber. My hubby is a scientist so I'm interested in his take on it all. We knew glyphosate is a carcinogen but not its chelating and antibiotic properties...could explain a lot.
              Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Vainamoinen View Post
                No, nor I. But once you start looking diligently, you find the skeletons keep falling out of the cupboard.

I think the important thing to bear in mind is that glyphosate is a powerful antibiotic. Unsurprising, since it's a very powerful chelator. (There's a lot more that could be said on that, but I'll leave that for now.) Anyway, I daresay Monsanto would now wish that it were forgotten that it has been patented as an antibiotic, but there the patent is on file:

Of course, glyphosate would be medically useless in that application, since it absolutely flattens beneficial bacteria such as lactobacilli.

It's always been Monsanto's deliberately deceptive argument - they're really not as stupid as that - that the agent inhibits the shikimate pathway, but that humans don't have a shikimate pathway. (That's kind of irrelevant anyway, since powerful chelators can have other effects.) But that argument ignores the elephant in the room: that you have some four pounds of bacteria in your gut that do use that pathway.

Apparently, it looks like C-Diff has no problem with glyphosate, however. Isn't that a comforting thought?

(As an side, I'm beginning to wonder why quite so many people turn up here complaining of fairly serious gut dysbiosis. And I'm not sure that there's not an explanation other than the one that's usually assumed for why many people feel so much better on Paleo/Primal diets. Are grains and legumes really so bad in and of themselves? Or is the fact that they get so much Roundup sprayed on them perhaps more of a problem? Did you know, that it's also used not just as a pesticide but as a "drying agent" on crops like wheat and chickpeas? Brings them off ready for harvesting, so you don't have to keep harvesting machinery waiting around. Fancy some hummus?)

But before I disappear completely down a rabbit hole … I think we have to remember the gut. There's a recent podcast of Jimmy's where Peripheral nerve surgeon Dr. Richard Jacoby explains how gut dysbiosis is likely driving autism:

However, Dr. Jacoby specifically mentions glyphosate as an agent causing problems with the normal gut microbiome, and with fetal development, in that interview with Jimmy.
                It's no wonder that our country is getting sicker and sicker while big agra and pharma get richer and richer. This system is so whacked and insidiously choking the health out of the uninformed and creates a battle for those who are just understanding and trying to get back to health. Just exasperating the blatant profiteering involved in our government.
                Big Agriculture Takes Control of Congress – Gets Immunity from GMO Lawsuits

And the shills who lick the hand that chokes it.
                Major Monsanto Lawsuit Completely Blacked out by Media | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization
                Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 06-11-2015, 03:44 AM.
                “Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good”. - Popular translation of Voltaire

If you are honest with your lacks, BE honest with your abundance, as well.

"....the route finding part, and dead reckoning - figure out where I need to be and how to get there, then stay on target as I move over the land and through the forest."
                - Originally Posted by Meant2Move

Comment

Originally posted by Energy! View Post
                  We knew glyphosate is a carcinogen
                  Really? In what fashion?

M.

Comment

I visited with an old friend last week and we jokingly said we should have a radio call in show called "Hell in a Handbasket", this topic would fit right in.
                    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                      I visited with an old friend last week and we jokingly said we should have a radio call in show called "Hell in a Handbasket", this topic would fit right in.
                      I love this idea!
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                        Really? In what fashion?
                        Yeah, this is why it's become a hot topic again. WHO is not amused, because of this study:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...134-8/abstract

This is also why Colombia has concluded that there may be worse things than illegal cocaine fields - such as spraying them with Roundup at the instigation of the U.S.:

Colombia suspends spraying illegal coca fields with herbicide over cancer link | World news | The Guardian

Notice that study was done in France, where there still seems to be a fair bit of independent science going on. Merci, mesdames et messieurs.

The most telling study to date also seems to have come out of France. This is Seralini's. Here's the site:

GMO Seralini

Importantly, they actually fed rats corn that had been sprayed with Roundup. They didn't merely test glyphosate - as many studies have - because in practice it's not used that way. Also present in Roundup are other agents, such as surfactants (detergent-like substances, used to get around the water-soluble/fat-soluble divide). They also ran the experiment for far longer than the brief period that is normally used. (IIRC, 90 days.) The - devastating - problems that appear don't appear until after that ... which is maybe why industry-funded studies stop when they do.

I wish Paleo would wake up to this issue. Paleo is great, but its focus of interest is too narrow, and full credit has to be given to people like Dr. Mercola who have been onto this topic for some time now.

I look forward to the day when Seralini is interviewed by someone like Robb Wolf and the Paleo community gets to know what's going on. I think we'll have to wait a while for that yet, though.

Finally, just for a laugh, here's Monsanto's Dirty Dozen. The 12 worst products for which Monsanto are responsible:

6456a457f3a5750d396201346a438dac.jpg

And I think I have to end with another musical item. What better than "Bad Reputation"? You know you have a bad reputation when you start looking into changing your name.

You got a bad reputation
                        That's the word out on the town
                        It gives a certain fascination
                        But it can only bring you down …

… You play too hard too much rough stuff
                        You're too sly so cold
                        That bad reputation has made you old

Actually, I can't forbear adding another comment. I think the finding of glyphosate in breastmilk has been crucial. I'm only a man and this seems bad enough to me but I think it's really struck something primal in women. Women don't expect to be feeding chemicals to their babies in milk that they didn't even know about. I think Monsanto may have inadvertently awoken a response that they will not know how to deal with.

Comment

I think Professor Emeritus of plant pathology Don Huber talks about that, among other things, here:

Dr. Huber: Things You Need to Know About GMO and Roundup
                          He's widely regarded as a complete crackpot. For example:

Don Huber, controversial activist scientist promoting mysterious GMO superbug scare, has no data | Genetic Literacy Project

Comment

Originally posted by bazzz View Post
                            Ah, the industry shill is back.

So nice to have you around.

Comment

Ah, the industry shill is back.

So nice to have you around.
                              Classic! This is the first time I've been called an Industry Shill.

Just for laughs, can you explain exactly what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that I'm being paid by Monsanto to post these views?

Comment

Working...
                              X