Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Knowledge is Power in Nutrition

Brilliant TED talk.

How Knowledge is Power in Nutrition by Dr. Wendy Pogozelski.

I'm not, of course, suggesting that everyone needs to eat like a Type 1 (or a Type 2) diabetic, but the way the story emerges and the insights in it are remarkable.

What we need, she says, is more knowledge and less advice.

It's interesting that she - someone who taught metabolic pathways in a university (and who was, therefore, able to leverage her knowledge to understand what was going wrong and what she needed to do) - when badgered by ignorant dieticians repeating their dogmas nearly concluded that they must be right from the sheer weight of their insistence and her social feeling that "authority" must be right. Thank goodness reason prevailed!

She rocks. Good stuff.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Yep I have friend who's husband is type1.

He wanted to eat high fat low carb but was told he needed to eat 150g of carb because the brain needs carbs.

The 'health experts' won over two educated/smart-people - from my understanding he's eating close to their recommendations and has to eat chocolate and jelly beans when too much insulin is calculated and used - balancing act of insulin pump, glucose meter and carbs.

Sweets are used as quick fix blood sugar rebalancing - much like a medication.

Comment

I liked the presentation but I have one complaint. She said type 2 diabetics have high insulin levels and this causes obesity. But type 2 diabetics are insulin resistant. How can insulin make someone obese if they are resistant to it?
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
          I liked the presentation but I have one complaint. She said type 2 diabetics have high insulin levels and this causes obesity. But type 2 diabetics are insulin resistant. How can insulin make someone obese if they are resistant to it?
          By "resistant" to it it's meant that despite high levels of insulin blood glucose levels are elevated. (This is dangerous and sets the person up for damage to blood vessels - eyes, kidneys, extremities. If you do the math, the amount of glucose that should be circulating in blood is tiny - something like half a teaspoon.) It's not meant that the person can easily access and burn energy that's stored in the form of fat. In short, you can be overweight and still have high blood glucose levels. The solution is dietary:

Sam – Bagels without butter? Ron Rosedale: Keep the butter; give up the bagel | Me and My Diabetes

Comment

Originally posted by Vainamoinen View Post
            By "resistant" to it it's meant that despite high levels of insulin blood glucose levels are elevated. (This is dangerous and sets the person up for damage to blood vessels - eyes, kidneys, extremities. If you do the math, the amount of glucose that should be circulating in blood is tiny - something like half a teaspoon.) It's not meant that the person can easily access and burn energy that's stored in the form of fat. In short, you can be overweight and still have high blood glucose levels. The solution is dietary:

Sam – Bagels without butter? Ron Rosedale: Keep the butter; give up the bagel | Me and My Diabetes
            I'm not asking if high blood sugar and obesity can co-exist. I'm asking why she would claim that insulin would cause obesity in someone if this person is resistant to insulin. How can insulin cause anything if you're resistant to it?
            Originally posted by Vainamoinen
            It's not meant that the person can easily access and burn energy that's stored in the form of fat.
            Insulin is a hormone that inhibits the accessing and burning of fat. If someone is resistant to insulin, then accessing and burning fat should be easier.
            Last edited by Elliot; 04-23-2015, 10:02 PM.
            My opinions and some justification

Comment

I liked the presentation but I have one complaint.

Comment

Working...
              X