Thai or Japanese restaurant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai or Japanese restaurant

What would you eat in a Thai or Japanese restaurant? The sauces all seem to have so much sugar and just unknown, to me anyways, stuff...

I love Sushi, but the rice really spikes my insulin...

Any good suggestions?

I usually get the combo salad (meat on top of cabbage, tomato, onion, lime juice,and other veggies, ask for no soy sauce) or the curries at a Thai restaurant. If you go to a Japanese steakhouse, ask for no soy. They'll usually oblige, with the bonus of the sauces having soy, so no sugar either. Sashimi or sashimi salad is the best bet at a sushi bar.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

I love Thai food because: peanuts, coconut and ginger.

However there will still be sugar.
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Thai coconut curry!
        My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
        On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Usually not in the curries: the coconut milk is sweet enough. If made traditionally, the meat salads have very little (<1 tsp) or none.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

Eat sashimi instead

Comment

Sashimi and veg for Japanese; Thai meat salads for Thai, or any of the fried pork dishes or soups. You can get out of an Asian restaurant without eating too much rice; when Asians go out for really classy meals, they usually go for all-meat and save rice for the end when they are already stuffed - think Chinese banquet. Part of the tradition that got lost in Americanization, I think.
              At the same time, rice seems to be the least harmful of the grains and when eaten with lots of fatty meat, once in a while, I doubt it will kill your insulin too badly.
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Think of it as an opportunity to branch out to try new dishes at these restaurants. I love a miso marinated cod at a Japanese restaurant. Most places also make a spinach in sesame seed appetizer or seaweed salads. For Thai, beef salad is good, as well as a garlicky pork and cabbage soup that has no sugar, or stir-fried Thai spinach with hollow stems.

Also, don't be afraid to ask about special dishes. Like at a lot of these Chinese restaurants where the menu with fresh fish and seasonal veggies is in Chinese and the English menu is the junky Americanized stuff like sweet and sour pork. The Japanese and Asian places (if family owned) usually have high quality foods kept back for other Japanese and Thai families.

Comment

Japanese:
                  Beef Tataki
                  Tuna & Yam - tuna sashimi over raw yam
                  Ginger Eggplant
                  Ohitashi - boiled & chilled spinach with sesame sauce
                  Any of the broiled fish - salmon, mackerel, etc
                  Seaweed salad, avocado salad, etc
                  Sashimi - just ask for no rice on the side

Thai:
                  Miang Kum - Baked coconut, dried shrimp, roasted peanuts, fresh, ginger, red onions, red pepper & lime placed together, in bite size pieces on a spinach leaf.
                  Satay
                  muu/neua sa-waan - this is soft style jerky. It has sugar in it though, so be aware.
                  Tom Yum Goong - shrimp & lemongrass soup
                  Tom Kha Gai - coconut chicken soup
                  Haw Moak - salmon or chicken wrapped in banana leaves
                  Pla Neung Ma-Now - a whole bass
                  Curries

The lists go on and on. I'm sure you'll find something delicious!

Comment

I really love Thai foods, it has distinct flavor that makes it special. I cook it sometimes whenever I am free from work. I think I already influenced my family to enjoy Thai foods because lately they are always requesting to cook for them.
                    Last edited by JayC; 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I would choose Thai - personal preference - and call it a 20%. Skip the jasmine rice? Hahahahahah. (You did notice my log-in name, didn't you?)
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I used to love a dish called phad se eaw at a local Thai place. (Thai hot of course with some added habanero powder because they won't make it hot enough). It was a kind of beef and broccoli dish over the phad noodles. I haven't been there since turning primal but phad noodles aren't worth my 20% and I'm sure it was loaded with sugar and MSG.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                        X