Question to those who do Carb-ups:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to those who do Carb-ups:

What types of carbs do you eat to keep it as primal as possible?

I'm planning a ~6000 cal carb-up and would like as much variety as possible! So far I have:

Sweet potatoes
    Rice (white/brown)
    Milk
    Fruits (Bananas/Berries)

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Potatoes
    Fruits (oranges, bananas, plums, apples, watermelon, kiwis, mangos, nectarines, grapes)
    Goat Milk and cow cheese
    Coconuts with coconut water
    Sugar in coffee

Comment

White rice, sweet potatoes, some fruits but not too much because of fructose. You're not gonna be able to stay primal and do 6000 calories of carbs.
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
        White rice, sweet potatoes, some fruits but not too much because of fructose. You're not gonna be able to stay primal and do 6000 calories of carbs.
        Yeah...I had a feeling that would be the case. Bagels/Spaghetti just pack so much of a carb-punch :\.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.M View Post
          Yeah...I had a feeling that would be the case. Bagels/Spaghetti just pack so much of a carb-punch :\.
          Get some white rice flour and make some pancakes... That's what I'm going to do. White rice looks pretty safe.

Comment

Get some white rice flour and make some pancakes... That's what I'm going to do. White rice looks pretty safe.
            Very nice! That's an excellent idea! haha

Comment

Very nice! That's an excellent idea! haha
              Soaked beans also...

Comment

200 pints of Guinness! (Original, but lacks variety!)

Comment

like others said try to stay away from the fructose, when I "carb up" i eat a lot and a lot and a lot of sweet potatoes, and brown rice. there is about 400 calories in a pint of rice. also like others said make rice flour. I will use that in skim milk protein shakes, but beware it does end up expanding when it is in the stomach.
                  I would still try to stay away from grains, and you might be better doing it over the course of two days instead of just one.
                  trust me carbing up is not really fun. You will be tired, and lethargic all day. You will most likely end up taking a lot of naps! i had one two weekends ago and ended up sleeping for 11.5 hours?!?!? hahaha thank god for an alarm clock in the morning!

if you plan on staying primal when doing this you are not going to have an easy time and get that many calories in, but it is possible trust me!

though i will admit, that sometimes I will have a nice bowl of steel-cut outs :-/

Comment

Seems like me and rice flour will have to become friends...haha!

Ahhhh - I'll try my best to do this primally, I wasn't planning on it, but am always up for a challenge!

Comment

and btw do not only consider carb ups/cycling, but calorie cycling as well. it is a sweet way to lose fat and gain muscle!

it took me from this to this in under 3 months :-)

Comment

Seems like me and rice flour will have to become friends...haha!

Ahhhh - I'll try my best to do this primally, I wasn't planning on it, but am always up for a challenge!
                        lol remember the 80/20 rule ;-)

Comment

You mean similar to Ult Diet 2.0? Which is basically what I'm gonna try, albeit slightly modified so I can get surfing in during the week still.

Comment

Do you think calorie cycling without the carbs is beneficial? For leptin and whatnot.. I don't want to go crazy on carbs yet..

Comment

Do you think calorie cycling without the carbs is beneficial? For leptin and whatnot.. I don't want to go crazy on carbs yet..
                              I am not sure to be honest but I do think it might be. Take fasting for example: it releases hgh, and testosterone, same with under eating. So if you than overeat with protein/fat it might work. But to be honest the whole reason why I cycle the calories/carbs is for the insulin rush. insulin is a growth hormone after. If i feel like having a carb up will actually eat about 1800-2300 calories a day from monday-friday (also VLC). For me with my activity level is about 1000-500 under the maintenance calories I need. than saturday, and maybe part of sunday I eat nothing but carbs, and shoot for 7000 calories plus a day. Low fat, and moderate protein. By being in the lower calorie zone, my body will actually be primed for building muscle, and not storing it as fat. But carb up are not an excuse for not being primal and eating junk. Like i said earlier it is tough, but possible.
                              perhaps you should try the calorie cycling with protein first. I do that sometimes as well. Some days try geting only 50 grams protein, and the rest fat, others shoot for 230 grams protein, and not as much fat if you do not want to go crazy on the carbs yet. But like a said above I do not like my carb ups, they make me tired, and is a reason why I do not do them weekly. I would hate to be a zombie every weekend lol

Comment

Working...
                              X