Lectins in grains may cause Leptin resistance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lectins in grains may cause Leptin resistance

I was doing some research on Leptin resistance and came across this article written by a group of European scientists:

"Agrarian diet and diseases of affluence Do evolutionary novel dietary lectins cause leptin resistance?"

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10

Here is an interesting snippet from that article -

"We propose that a cereal-based diet could be such an environmental factor. Through previous studies in archaeology and molecular evolution we conclude that humans and the human leptin system are not specifically adapted to a cereal-based diet, and that leptin resistance associated with diseases of affluence could be a sign of insufficient adaptation to such a diet. We further propose lectins as a cereal constituent with sufficient properties to cause leptin resistance, either through effects on metabolism central to the proper functions of the leptin system, and/or directly through binding to human leptin or human leptin receptor, thereby affecting the function."

More science backing up the primal blueprint and adds to the knowledge base of just exactly what damage these lectins can do.

Good stuff. I remember Robb Wolf mentioning that he was sure of it that lectins caused leptin resistance. He might have cited that study. Lectins just make life worse in general, destroying the mucosal barrier, causing inflammation, insulin resistance (they bind to the receptors) and tons of other stuff. I will never touch a grain again.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Is that why its hard to stop eating grains once you start?
      My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Wheats especially have opiate effects ( that are blocked by an opiate blocker, naltrexone).

Comment

great document. Im stealing it and posting it to facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
            Wheats especially have opiate effects ( that are blocked by an opiate blocker, naltrexone).
            is this why I find it hard to say no to garlic bread?

Comment

Originally posted by Suse View Post
              is this why I find it hard to say no to garlic bread?
              Yeah. 10-20% of people will have tremendous withdrawal issues with stopping wheat. It passes after 5-7 days. I'd stay away from percocet too.

Comment

I don't know about that. I think lectin may contribute, even significantly contribute, to leptin resistance but may not the cause. I'm "chronically" LR and have been for 5 years and have not eaten any forms of grain for more than a decade. I've been keto for 10 years and paleo for 2 and the LR gets no better.

Comment

So it might be helpful but it certainly isn't NECESSARY.

Comment

Working...
                  X