Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Tallow

Hi everyone,

I have been saving tallow that rises to the top of my bone broth when it is refrigerated.

However some of the broth comes along with it and now it is bad a month later. Is there anyway too get around this? Put it through a cheesecloth or something similar?

I'm about to throw out about a pound worth now!

Since it's quite hard I'll rinse it off under cold water to get rid of any bits that aren't fat. Then I freeze it. Won't go bad in the freezer.

Comment

That is a great idea my friend, thanks! I will definitely use that trick for next time.

Comment

The fat should rise to the top. Scoop it off with a spoon. You could even pour it into a narrow glass container, which would make the water/fat interface more obvious.

Alternatively, you could pour it into a jar and let the jar cool upside-down. The water will sink to the bottom, which is actually the top of the jar. When the tallow has frozen, the water will still be liquid. Open the jar and pour it out. I've never actually tried this method, but it makes sense in my head.
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

If you pour it into a glass bowl and place in the fridge until solid, then QUICKLY dip the bowl in hot water and turn out upside down onto a plate, you can then wipe the liquid (which will probably have set as a jelly) away with kitchen roll. A quick rinse under cold running water will remove the remainder and then pop back into the (cleaned and dried) glass bowl and back in the fridge. Or if you want to keep it for a long time, freeze it at this stage.

Comment

It sounds as though you got something other than pure fat mixed in there. I'm always really careful to first let it sit for a bit so I'm sure the fat has completely separated from everything else, and then strain it in a fine-meshed strainer. I also freeze as other folks have mentioned, but it gets wicked hard in the freezer so you'll have trouble chipping out just a little bit if you use it frequently!

Comment

I freeze it in glass Tupperware but never more that 2 inches deep. When I want to use it I pop it out, chop it up and back in the freeze. That way I have little serving size portions to reach for.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I found this great post and I thought I would share:

Rendering Fat (and cleaning it) | The Cooking Geek

Comment

Working...
                X