Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Allergies and Primal Blueprint

Hello all,

In my search for better health and to alleviate my chronic health issues I stumbled upon MDA and have been doing a lot of reading over the last few months.

I'm that typical "healthiest sick guy you know" story. On the outside I look very healthy. I eat "well" (more on this later), have played sports my whole life, I am a gym rat, and have been bodybuilding for a while now. At 5'9" and 200 lbs while fairly lean I look the role of fitness and health, but the reality is that I am on 5 different prescriptions, have GERD, stomach pains, bloating, gas, stomach cramps, adult acne, allergies, asthma, joint pain, chronic sinus infections, bronchitis, and on and off antibiotics my whole life, etc...

I've been on Prilosec for stomach pains and GERD for several years but over the last year the symptoms got worse and forced me to move onto testing. No ulcer, hiatal hernia, barretts, h pylori, etc... My digestive system, from a clinical standpoint looked good.

Last week I was tested for food allergies and it was determined that I had allergies to nuts (which I already knew) but also grains. I have been avoiding gluten and wheat for a couple months now after reading MDA and I do feel better when doing that. I found out though, it's basically all grains I am allergic too. Though I tested negative for celiac disease on my blood test, my scratch tests determined I was allergic to wheat, barley, rye, rice, oats, corn and peas. Since giving up gluten and most grains I still made rice and oats part of my diet and it now seems I need to give up those too.

It's frustrating because I can't even have the wheat and gluten free food because most are made from rice and corn. I was enjoying indulging in a homemade gluten free pizza crust or gluten free brownies here and there, but alas, they all include rice and corn typically.

For years I ate the typical bodybuilder meals. A lot of meat and veggies but also tons of oats, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, whole grain bagels, brown rice, kashi cereals, etc... I thought I was eating healthy because I was eating unprocessed whole grain and taking in 40-50g of fiber a day. I now know I was grossy mistaken and fell victim to the whole grain mantra.

Funny enough, my body seems to require a Primal Diet for itself. The only foods I don't produce an immune reaction to are meats, veggies, and fruit. I am ok with limited amounts of cultured dairy like greek yogurt and cheese.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation with food allergies? It's like my body never actually evolved and is begging me to eat primally... and I've been unintentionally ignoring it my whole life. The consequence? I'm an active, strong, muscular, and in-shape 20-something with more prescription meds than your average 50 year old for all of my chronic inflammatory issues.

My doctor and I think that years and years of eating high amounts of high fiber, whole grains that my body was allergic to produced inflammation and irritibility of the gut lining and just ruined my stomach. I am hoping a proper Primal Diet, some supplements, and some time will allow it heal up and the reduced inflammation will help my body overall.

Now I have to figure out how to eat solely on a primal diet with no aid of rice and oats to make it easier. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DTRrex; 02-14-2015, 02:53 PM.

Starchy tubers are your friends.

Any native ancestry?

Sent from my XT1019 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Depression Lies

Comment

I'm also sensitive to grains. And beans. I'm okay with rice though. You're sensitive to white rice too, or just brown rice?

Are you fine with potatoes and sweet potatoes? Because they're awesome. Taro (or I might be thinking of cassava) is also a great option for the carbs. You can still make your homemade brownies and pizza crusts with tapioca flour, coconut flour, potato flour, etc. Plantains are also an option, they're just starchier bananas.

Bone broth and gelatin may be beneficial for gut healing.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        Starchy tubers are your friends.

Any native ancestry?

Sent from my XT1019 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
        Thanks, love potatoes! Thankfully potatoes didn't cause a problem.

I am currently cutting down so the lack starch isn't a problem but when I go back into maintenance or a slight caloric surplus potatoes will be a savior.

No native ancestory though. Mostly Italian with some German and Irish.

Is this common with those that have a native ancestory?

Comment

Yeah, a typical "western" diet tends not to work well for people with native ancestry. Hence why diabetes is so prevalent among those with a lot of native American blood.
          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Nightly Orange View Post
            I'm also sensitive to grains. And beans. I'm okay with rice though. You're sensitive to white rice too, or just brown rice?

Are you fine with potatoes and sweet potatoes? Because they're awesome. Taro (or I might be thinking of cassava) is also a great option for the carbs. You can still make your homemade brownies and pizza crusts with tapioca flour, coconut flour, potato flour, etc. Plantains are also an option, they're just starchier bananas.

Bone broth and gelatin may be beneficial for gut healing.
            I don't recall if the test was specific to white or brown rice.... the doc just said rice produced a response and should be taken out for now.

Potatoes are fine thankfully so I'll try and keep a lookout for items that focus on potato and tapioca.

I am still unsure about coconut. I don't think I was tested for that but I do recall when I was adding coconut oil to my coffee it made me feel queasy and fatigued.

I've read about the bone broth and gelatin. I'd like to incorporate this but I just haven't had the time to make my own. Between work, the gym, and making all of my meals for the week myself time is a luxury.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Look into plantains, the green ones are good for savory dishes: Puerto Rican Tostones (Fried Plantains) Recipe - Allrecipes.com and the yellow ones are sweet.

This is a great recipe for pancakes or waffles using plantains:

Perfect Paleo Pancakes - The Paleo Mom
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I have problems with wheat and was probably compounded with dairy. After many years of doing both I think I wrecked my GI track. However, by avoiding wheat and limited dairy and a pretty solid primal diet and lifestyle I am as healthy as even. Haven't gotten a cold or flu in two years, have bulletproof digestion -- even eating the spiciest of foods.

So, at least in my case I was able to heal myself.

Comment

Sounds to me like you've got a leaky gut, and the list of foods you are able to tolerate will continue to shorten until you address it. These links are very helpful in understanding what it is why your body is rejecting so many of the foods you ingest. In the second link, toward the bottom, is a list of cross reactive foods that our bodies can react to as if they were gluten. You will probably not be surprised by many of the items on it, and hopefully you can identify items that you may not even realize are making you feel bad and/or worsening your gut issues. Healing it is no easy feat, but it's a necessity for overall health. Good luck to you.

What Is A Leaky Gut? (And How Can It Cause So Many Health Issues?) - The Paleo Mom

Gluten Cross-Reactivity UPDATE: How your body can still think you

I second the suggestion for getting your hands on some gelatin. Eat lots of it.
                  Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Thank you for the replies and suggestions all.

I definitely think leaky gut may be part of the problem.... I find foods high in FODMAPS cause issues (especially raw garlic and onion) which I understand is typically indicative of leaky gut.

I've begun using probiotics and digestive enzymes and more recently, glutamine. Regarding the gelatin, are the supplements effective?

From what I gather Great Lakes is a good choice.
                    Last edited by DTRrex; 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

My hubby is allergic to dairy but despite avoiding it had worsening digestive problems for years, including GERD and chronic diarrhea, plus was told he had diverticulitis. More and more foods were bothering him until he was left with a very limited diet. He stopped drinking anything carbonated (Coke especially) and had a big improvement. Was able to add back fruits with little seeds, corn, etc. Later he quit wheat and got rid of severe leg cramps. He stopped drinking iced tea because he got oxalate-type kidney stones. So far, so good. Also, the doc now says he does not have diverticulitis. While your issues may be caused by other factors, it can make all the difference to eliminate certain foods.

If you avoid grains and/or other potential trigger foods for awhile you may be able to eat some problem foods again eventually. Eat foods that actually grew as opposed to their powdered, processed non-living "fractions" as the food industry calls the pieces and parts of what once was a whole food. Good luck!
                      Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

I agree that it seems that the root of your problems is your gut. I have almost the same problems as you and that's what I was said could be my problem.

I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to make 24-hour bone broth to have the gut healing goodness. You just need to eat the meat stock your meat was cooked in and it should help a great deal. It takes 0 seconds more and it tastes super good too.

Comment

I feel your pain. I've recently had allergy testing and a huge list of things came up, including the preservatives that are contained within flours/baking powders (I had always thought it was gluten that was my problem), eggs, dairy, everything in the onion family, beef, pork (obv including all pork products like bacon, boo hoooo) , beef gelatine, peppers, all citrus fruits, tomatoes, aubergine - that's just off the top of my head!

I had just got to grips with the primal way of eating, only to have to try to work it all out again. I'm still feeling totally overwhelmed by it all, but have found that taking a bit of time to research some recipes, make a meal plan for the week took a lot of the stress out of the day. I'm still finding that I'm sticking to 2 main types of meals, soup (made with homemade duck and chicken bone broth), or salad but this week I've found some new recipes and am going to branch out a bit. I do feel better for it, my stomach is no longer bloated (apart from at this very moment, but I fell off the wagon spectacularly this weekend, sometimes you just want to eat what everyone else is eating), my bowels are SO much better and I generally feel good.

I know none of the above is probably of any help whatsoever to you!! But it's sometimes nice to know that other people are going through the same thing.

Take each day as it comes and try not to get overwhelmed by it all.
                          Last edited by LauraEmmeline; 02-16-2015, 02:27 AM.
                          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread111039.html

Comment

Wheat is one of the biggest culprits of leaky gut. Some people think that you just need to reduce wheat consumption, but the reality that that you need to almost completely eliminate it. Just a little bit can cause damage when you are in healing mode.

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
                              Wheat is one of the biggest culprits of leaky gut. Some people think that you just need to reduce wheat consumption, but the reality that that you need to almost completely eliminate it. Just a little bit can cause damage when you are in healing mode.
                              I think this is a huge culprit and funny enough likely stemmed from trying to "eat healthy".

I didn't have many stomach problems when younger.... My family didn't have much money growing up so my meals were pretty typical.... white bread and deli meat sandwiches, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, pizza, white pasta, white rice, and meats. Not a healthy diet by any means but all the wheat was super processed and probably didn't have much actual wheat in it.

Then I got into sports, bodybuilding, and being healthy.

I was doing everything right with my fats and proteins but I was under the guise that whole grains were good for you and boy did I buy into that.

Everyday was whole grain, double fiber toast. Whole grain pasta. Fiber packed nutritional bars. Large amounts of beans and rice. Huge servings of oats.

My stomach issues amplified not long after. When I went to "eating healthy" my grain and gluten intake probably quadrupled (or more) than what it was before.

Either way, I am grain and wheat free now.

I am supplementing with glutamine and gelatin and staying away from grains. I am hoping to improve my situation and heal my gut.

Comment

Working...
                              X