Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat making me sick

Hi there everyone,
    I need some advice here. I'm having weird lurches in my hunger (not hungry then all of a sudden starving,) loose stool, and am sick at the thought of meat, eggs, dairy, avocado. It's also the first day i feel tired. I made 2 batches of coconut and almond flour pancakes (with eggs, coconut milk friend in coconut oil with some raspberries,) and then had an egg white protein smoothie with coconut milk, spinach, kale, and a little bit of blueberries. I had been eating lots and lots of turkey, lox, walnuts, avocados and a bit of red meat but the thought of eating them...blech! I also had 1/2 apple today. i can't seem to keep the carbs under 50 (or even 100g the other day) and am trying to loose fat asap. I know fewer fruit but my body seems to just want a kombucha right about now. Sigh. Any thoughts?
    Thanks guys:-)
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

I should also mention that though my stool is really soft, I'm constipated (I know too much info but help!)
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Comment

I'm just guessing, but perhaps eating more vegetables would help? Eat half a cabbage and some carrots... radishes whatever..

Comment

I would feel sick if I ate almond meal pancakes. Heating nuts creates toxic fats. Yikes!
        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

If you're not taking them I would start on probiotics. If you want to take a break from meat and fat for a bit and give your body some down time I would make a big batch of vegetable soup with chicken broth. Any vegetables you like. I second ditching the coconut flour/almond meal mixture.

Comment

How different is this from how you used to eat? What new foods have you started eating?
            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
              I would feel sick if I ate almond meal pancakes. Heating nuts creates toxic fats. Yikes!
              did not know this...do they oxidize like PUFAs or does it have a bad omega ratio thingy?

Comment

Plant-based PUFAs linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid are extremely susceptible to heat. It's the same fats in almonds as in vegetable oils and when you cook those they become even more toxic. Granted the almond is somewhat protective but we're talking about baking or cooking with it at high heat. Roasting them definitely oxidizes some of the fats.

There's an abstract at least. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0000575

Looks like a whole almond in the shell provides some protection but almond meal isn't going to have that protection.

edit: oh but they weren't heating them, just leaving them out. So my guess is that heating any almond makes the fats toxic. My face back when I used to have acne will agree. I can't really find any direct evidence at the moment, it's just a strong suspicion
                Last edited by Stabby; 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM.
                Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

meat and lots of fat from avocado, and coconuts.

Comment

Add more veggies to your diet and maybe some fruit like berries to help with digestion!
                    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

how's your zinc and D intake?

Zinc (and some b vite deficiencies) can trigger the 'food doesn't sound good, I can't eat' kind of feeling.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Aww hope you're feeling better by now

Have you made a massive change in your daily diet? In which case your gut bacteria might be "off", as in you don't have the right strains to digest your new food yet. In which case probiotics might help. Go for the kombucha, if that's what you want

Take it easy on the fat if it makes you queasy - been there, done that! Try gentle, calming, fairly bland food. Chicken stock / broth is excellent - fattier than you think but without that "feel" of a fatty food (if that makes sense??). Lots of liquid; don't get dehydrated. Nibbling little and often might help.

Do you like ginger? It's good for nausea, you can have ginger tea, or cook with it perhaps...?

I'm suggesting things based on this being a short term, stomach-buggy-type situation rather than something going on for weeks

Oh, I never used to eat coconut, but it made me feel sick if I overdid it; maybe the coconut flour was too much of a new thing at once?

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                          how's your zinc and D intake?

Zinc (and some b vite deficiencies) can trigger the 'food doesn't sound good, I can't eat' kind of feeling.
                          I usually take b vit, D, and zinc but the last 3 days have stopped due to the digestion problem, mild nausea, and total bouts of fatigue. Just weird. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                            Aww hope you're feeling better by now

Have you made a massive change in your daily diet? In which case your gut bacteria might be "off", as in you don't have the right strains to digest your new food yet. In which case probiotics might help. Go for the kombucha, if that's what you want

Take it easy on the fat if it makes you queasy - been there, done that! Try gentle, calming, fairly bland food. Chicken stock / broth is excellent - fattier than you think but without that "feel" of a fatty food (if that makes sense??). Lots of liquid; don't get dehydrated. Nibbling little and often might help.

Do you like ginger? It's good for nausea, you can have ginger tea, or cook with it perhaps...?

I'm suggesting things based on this being a short term, stomach-buggy-type situation rather than something going on for weeks

Oh, I never used to eat coconut, but it made me feel sick if I overdid it; maybe the coconut flour was too much of a new thing at once?
                            Thanks I drank the kombucha for breakfast which was wonderful. I just had an apple (which I love.) I have no appetite, gut is backed up, and am really fatigued. Great call with the soup. Made some last night and it went in fine. Bought ginger this morning too (was on the phone with mom) and got some mint to make tea with. I took some miralax last night too and nothing much happened this morning. Feel like I have a flu but not really. Just strange. I think the fats were too much and that combined with all the meat...just not used to it and need to go slow with this. I was just so hungry! I used to just eat fish now and then so this way of eating is very new for me. Thanks for your advice. Going to nap again

Comment

Working...
                            X