No announcement yet.

What to eat when your stomach is sick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat when your stomach is sick?

Almost since I woke up I have been throwing up and feeling nauseous. Now I am feeling a bit better and I feel like i might be able to eat something easy. So what do you guys recommend, maybe something like yogurt and berries (for vitamins). Browsing the web a lot of people seem to suggest soda, is there any truth behind that or is it just CW?

I suspect I got this sickness from eating liver yesterday :<

Ginger ale ( the real stuff, not the sugar water most stores carry), peppermint tea, broth, soft cooked veggies.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

Oh, I think fresh pressed ginger in sparkling water is a good idea. Don't buy Canada Dry or anything, just some sparkling water and a real hunk of ginger will do the trick. Ginger is supposed to help soothe agitated stomaches, so it might be good to try. Broth sounds like a good idea too for some extra nutrients.
      You are what you eat,
      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

PS I still can't eat liver...it tastes really gross. Maybe I'll try it again one day (I have a lot in the freezer from our half-beef), but the dogs might get all of it...
        You are what you eat,
        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

ginger root, cut up into boiling water. let boil and cool. great for upset stomachs. strengthen or weaken the ginger tea with water as needed.
          Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

if you are having trouble holding food down it is your body telling you that it doesn't want to eat

it might be a good idea to respect that

Comment

Good tips in here. I suddenly have been hit by a wave of nausea, and will have to go purchase some ginger ale. I am currently entertaining the thought of making myself throw up just to feel better.

I hate being sick. >.<
              Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by jrherring View Post
                ginger root, cut up into boiling water. let boil and cool. great for upset stomachs. strengthen or weaken the ginger tea with water as needed.
                This. Ginger has natural antiseptic and soothing properties. This really works. Peppermint tea is also good.

As Alex said, maybe a good idea not to eat solids yet. Let your guts rest a bit. Yoghurt is good. When you're ready for something sturdier, plain chicken and maybe sweet potato? I'd steer clear of tomatoes, and I find most leafy greens can be a little hard to digest too. Perhaps an omlette.

Comment

When you're ready to begin eating again, try sipping some bone broth.

Comment

chicken soup

Comment

Originally posted by Beefsister View Post
                      Good tips in here. I suddenly have been hit by a wave of nausea, and will have to go purchase some ginger ale. I am currently entertaining the thought of making myself throw up just to feel better.

I hate being sick. >.<
                      For both prevention and treatment of stomach viruses, always be sure to have two things on hand:

probiotics - high quality shelf stable
                      digestive enzymes - high quality high potency broad spectrum

For the probiotics I use Garden of Life Primal Defense or Jarrowdophilus EPS or Now Gr8 or Dr. Ohhira
                      For the enzymes I use Garden of Life Ozyme (aka Omegazyme or Ωzyme)
                      see my supplement doc for links to iherb (the cheapest I've found):
                      https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...ZzZm43OQ&hl=en

Take 2 of each when you first notice the nausea and every 30-60 min thereafter. If you do throw up, take them again immediately with as little water as possible and continue every 30 min till you stop vomiting.

Once you're considering eating again, take two with the food to help stave off another round of issues. Keep in mind that with severe gastroenteritis, the nausea can last for weeks;/
                      Last edited by cillakat; 06-13-2010, 02:30 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                      X