Keratosis Pilaris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keratosis Pilaris

Keratosis Pilaris is a skin condition of having little bumps (or zits) on the upper arms and some other areas of the body. Does anyone know what causes it, and what can be done about it? I noticed that one website mentions that it is a build up of keratin in the skin which causes it, but what causes that? Has anyone had any success curing it with a primal diet? I have not, but I'm still hopeful. I just cut out dairy, so maybe that will help?

I was just researching this last week. I have it too. I've had it for years to a fairly light degree, but the last three or four months, it started getting much worse. Strangely, about the time that I started the primal diet and cutting things out. I wondered if perhaps it getting worse wasn't some type of skin detox because it seems to be getting a little better now.

Some of what I read seemed to point towards a vitamin A deficiency. I haven't had time to do much more reading about it though. I too am hoping that it will get better with this lifestyle.

Comment

I found that a lactic acid based moisturizer (such as Amlactin) and sun exposure were the best things for it.

Comment

I had little spots at the back of the tops of my arms when I was younger and my dad told me to rub the area with a towel after I washed. It worked. I don't know if it was the same thing but worth a try.
        Last edited by jo; 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM.
        My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I have it, and hate it. Curious to see what people say, subbing.

Comment

This diet sounds vaguely familiar...

Might be worth a try, but juice your own carrots if you can. I suspect eating them might be just as good.

Comment

My severe KP was one of the main reasons I started the Paleo diet. I started cutting back dairy as much as possible and noticed minimal changes. I used to only have a small patch on either arm, the size of a quarter. Then the doc had me on accutane. First time I was on it, I noticed a little more KP appear. Second round of accutane, HOLY MOLY! My arms blew up overnight and I've never been able to recover since. It's horrifying. I used to try to only purchase longer sleeved shirts and apologize to friends when I wore something different. I'm always thinking "They're looking at my arms" and no matter what I try, nothing helps. KP is hereditary, but I think certain things trigger it to be worse. I've noticed it on my dad, but they're barely there. Mine on the other hand, need to be completely photoshopped when I take pics. Hoping that maybe the Paleo way helps. The carrot juice is intriguing.....but for a girl who despises carrots, this may be a tough one. Just starting Primal way as of this weekend, so I'll be sure to let you know if I have any changes! GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I got it really bad when I was pregnant with my first child. Had it when I was younger too. My arms still have some bumps but they're not noticeable other than by feel. I have heard it was due to a vitamin A deficiency and know of a few people that got rid of theirs by taking cod liver oil. I find that mine almost disappears in the summer, probably because of the extra vitamin D I'm getting (I know someone will chime in about its the warm air and extra moisture, but its not. Trust me. its as dry as Arizona in these parts.)
                Calm the f**k down.

Comment

So THAT's what that is?? I had no idea, I just thought I would always have those stupid little bumps/pimples on my upper arms! They definitely get better when my arms are tan in the summer (extra D), but I've also been supplementing more lately. I'm taking about 6,000 IU per day, plus getting in about 30 minutes of midday walking on my lunch break. If the continued D supplementation takes care of those stupid bumps I'll be so happy! BTW I cut out dairy for about 4 months last year, and have been grain free for a full year now, and neither of those things made a difference for my arms.
                  You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

http://www.180degreehealth.com/current-180-summary.html
                    cured my ketosis pilaris...
                    I followed primal for a year and and it made mine worse and other health conditions worse
                    I only post this on this forukm because it was the same problem I had
                    Be open minded
                    Last edited by pie; 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

pie,
                      UR hella busted.
                      CYa....

Comment

You know, more and more I come across problems like this that are touted as "hereditary" that have very definitive connections to possible vitamin deficiencies. Vitamin deficiencies can be "hereditary" too, as in, if a pregnant mother isn't getting enough of something she's going to pass that deficiency on to her young. She's also likely got whatever health problem those deficiencies cause, and it gets passed on. Then it gets called "hereditary" and people assume that there's nothing they can do about it because well...mom had it, grandma had it, sisters have it...whatever. I wish there was more study on this stuff.

Comment

yeah i get this really badly, too! i've had it for a few years all over my thighs and the back of my arms. gross.
                          at first, i treated it with an iron fist... i would wash with soap and water, then scrub with salt, and keep it dry. -i was told it was similar to acne, and to let it "dry itself out".
                          then, i realized i wasn't eating any fat and that my skin was now itchy and dry. so i started using a really good moisturizer after the salt scrub and eating a crap ton of fat, even taking fish oil. also getting a little sun on the pasty parts. it worked, my skin is really nice now. my advice: unscented moisturizer, fat, and sun.

Comment

Scrub your arms well when you take a shower. It will go away in a few weeks.
                            Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

I've struggled with this so badly! The scrubbing often makes it worse unless like cookie suggested you can find a moisturizer that really helps. I'm still searching, but soaking in epsom salts (2 cups for a bath) everyother day has really cleared it up a lot. I'm using coconut oil afterwards right now.
                              The more I see the less I know for sure.
                              -John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                              X