No announcement yet.

Keratosis Pilaris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this problem too - the best scrub I've found is the Basin White Shea Salt Scrub. It's a bit pricey at $35/jar, but the jar will last you about three months. I use it on my arms and legs approximately every other day. Doesn't eliminate the problem, but it helps more than anything I've tried.

A somewhat distant second would be Bath & Body Works "I'm in the Mood for Scrub" for $20. Not quite as moisturizing as the Basin White, but okay and much easier to come by.

Otherwise, I second the Amlactin lotion and getting plenty of sun. I'm going to try Vitamin D supplements and epsom salt bath as well to see if either of those helps. Unfortunately, changing my diet hasn't made any improvement.

Comment

I have this in a very mild form on my upper arms. I've been primal since April 1st, and I've begun noticing an improvement in my arm skin the past couple weeks. Could be just the diet change, but may also be attributed to 6,000 IU of D supplementation.

Comment

Even with optimal serum 25(OH)D levels and a variety of A levels (I've tweaked A intake for 7 years), I still have KP.

KP can be prevented via a multi modal approach to increase cell turnover (exfoliants; chemical and/or physical) and moisturizing. It's not acne or pimples and is not like acne or pimples (ie not caused by a combination of p acnes bacteria and hormonal factors)

Applying topical exfoliants can be very helpful as well - BHA, any of the AHA's, or even retinoids like retin-A (tretinoin) or tazorac. A yogurt and aspirin mask is also really wonderful for it - but cold.

My favorite AHA lotion in terms of formulation is C Booth Alpha Hydroxy Lotion but it's hard to find and I'm not in love with the smell.

Here's what I do:
        aqua glycolic or derma E glycolic cleanser or Priori lactic acid cleanser - every few days, applied to dry skin. let sit for a few minutes then hop in shower, wet, scrub with scrubby gloves, then rinse.

CeraVe lotion or C Booth AHA lotion after getting out of the shower.

Additionally i'll swipe my arms every once in awhile with an AHA or BHA product and will mix some tretinoin with CeraVe and apply that to my arms.

When I want really fabulously super soft skin, the yogurt aspirin mask is the best bet. B/c it's cold and messy, I don't do it often. 1/4 tsp pulverized aspirin to 1T full fat yogurt. Leave on dry clean skin as long as you can stand it, then shower/exfoliate as above and moisturize well.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I used to have a very mild case of it on my upper arms (mostly just a slightly rough texture and faintly visible bumps), but ever since I've experimented with showering in warm water only (no soap) using a washcloth to scrub, I've noticed a very significant improvement in the texture and appearance of my upper arms. My skin in general is much less dry since I've stopped using soap, so perhaps, as others have suggested, skin moisture is part of the problem.

Maybe try giving the no soap thing a go? I haven't tried no shampoo because I use hair styling wax, but it took virtually no effort to adjust to no soap showering.
          Last edited by Faumdano; 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM. Reason: typo
          Primal food in Japan

Comment

Faumdano's reply reminded me that I also stopped using soap on my arms as well, so that might also be something to try.

Comment

what do you guys recommend using to scrub without soap? would just a washcloth suffice?

@kat - i've been using coconut oil to moisturize, should i try some of the stuff you use?

Comment

I like to scrub with epsom salts. Just scoop a bit up and use it to exfoliate.
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

I have mild ichtyosis vulgaris inherited from my father and easily develop KP without proper skin care. For me, regular exfoliation (manual and chemical), and even more regular moisturization are essential for nice skin. I do not need to limit hot water or bathing, etc, as long as I replace the moisture that is lost with plenty of high quality lotion, and eat right. I try to apply lotion to my problem areas at least twice per day.

The sun, and sweating, are also very good for my skin. Unfortunately I don't really sweat on my driest areas.

Primal and high-fat have helped quite a bit.

I use a Japanese exfoliating cloth mainly. Also shaving. Glycolic acid, lactic acid, and benzoyl peroxide when I had more severe problems before primal.

Comment

For keratosis pilaris home remedy..follow these points...

*After bathing, intensive moisturizing with Vaseline cream may be practiced.
                    *Using a bar of neem-oil soap for fixing this problem.

Comment

Haven't read through the thread, but cod liver oil cured mine.

Comment

I had no idea this bothered other people, too! I got rid of mine so easily. I put a jar of coconut oil in the bathroom and used it as moisturizer after I got out of the shower (before you dry off, so it goes on lighter). I don't know how, but within a month my bumps were gone. Havent used coconut oil for awhile, but the bumps are still gone. Worked for my daughter, too.

Comment

I found it reduced by about 80% after I went Primal - first it was gone from my thighs, then started reducing on my arms. But it hasn't gone completely, and has colonised new territory by my knees... weird...

Anyhoo... I can definitely believe the 'A' deficiency thing, as I was vegetarian before and more or less completely reliant on beta-carotene, and now I'm eating liver regularly. The other thing that's helped is rubbing down with a pumice stone and moisturising with coconut oil after showering. Mind you, the immediate effect of the pumice stone is very red and angry - not recommended if you're self-conscious about it.

Comment

I scrub with exfoliating gloves, no soap, and moisturize afterwards with coconut oil. My elbows and upper arms love it.
                            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Being primal has seen my KP disappear. No need for any treatment
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Some keratosis pilaris home remedy are...

*Add a couple of Tablespoons of Vitamin E Oil to a warm bath then soak in the bath for between 20 and 30 minutes. Vitamin E Oil has been shown to help improve Keratosis Pilaris.

*Mix equal parts Sugar and Olive Oil and stir together, then use as a body scrub for the areas affected with Keratosis Pilaris. This body scrub should be made fresh, and used once a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X