Kombucha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha

I'm hoping that drinking Kombucha is okay because I think I could probably live on it alone. If it's not ok then that will be the one thing I allow myself BUT... the recipe calls for sugar to feed the SCOBE. What is the best sugar to use in this instance? What is the least evil of the sugars? I have been leaning towards cane sugar because it's not as processed but haven't been able to find out if that is a better choice or not. Anyone know?

A majority of the sugar is eaten up and turned to amino acids by the SCOBY during the fermentation process (especially if you like a bitter brew and let it ferment for a longer period of time, which is what I do). Cane sugar works just fine and is perfect for it. Enjoy your kombucha, it's a healthy drink!

Comment

+1 I love the stuff, and it's my favorite way to get probiotics! I've heard from some sources that you can make it with just about any sugar substance including maple syrup, while others say that white sugar is the best food for it. The only one I've heard consistently not to use is honey, because of its antimicrobial properties that tend to kill the SCOBY.

Here's a great article and how I brew:
      http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...-kombucha.html

Stats as of 3/1/12:
      5'10" female, 38 y/o
      Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
      WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
      DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
      EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

I brew my own and recently started putting black cherry juice (the real stuff) in the bottle for a 2nd ferment. Delicious! It's a treat for me, one every few days usually. It's like a soda/beer replacement in my house. I just use white sugar for the initial ferment.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
          I brew my own and recently started putting black cherry juice (the real stuff) in the bottle for a 2nd ferment. Delicious! It's a treat for me, one every few days usually. It's like a soda/beer replacement in my house. I just use white sugar for the initial ferment.
          i would like to order a few mason jars of this for pick up in august. how much $$$? oohhhh your pickled eggs too. You should have a primal market for the boar roast.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh shoot, I hadn't thought of that. I should make a bunch for boarfest!

Lemme see what it would cost me, and I'll let ya know.

Comment

would anyone in this thread who has SCOBY's be willing to donate one to me? I've tried getting one off of the lists that I've found but all the emails that I've contacted seem to be defunct.

Comment

Ditto, I've been seriously thinking about making this stuff myself but never had a started scoby... where can I get one of quality? Any recommendations for educational resources for a newb?

Comment

I sell them on my blog (to raise money for some surgery I'm saving for.) I'm asking $10

You can get one by buying a bottle of kombucha and letting it set at room temperature for a few days to a week. The mango flavor actually made a very nice scoby. It'll be small, but it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by lecz0r View Post
                    Ditto, I've been seriously thinking about making this stuff myself but never had a started scoby... where can I get one of quality? Any recommendations for educational resources for a newb?
                    Hey homie, I usually have one going, right now it's a little iffy 'cause I think I overheated it - but if it survives, I'll give ya the next baby. If u hear of another Seattle source, let me know, I'd like a freshie.
                    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                    ~ Thomas Alva Edison

Comment

Cool - thanks! I think I'm gonna get a bottle from the store and start my own... bummer that it takes so long =P
                      All good things are worth waiting for though, right? Frankly, I still need to learn about the whole process and figure out what the heck I'm doing anyway.

Comment

...and if I fail to make my own, I'll consider picking one up from ya Diana

Comment

Well, here I am a month later and I'm on my second big ol batch! I did indeed start my own from scratch - the first scoby took about 2 weeks. I then used it to make a medium sized batch (3/4th gallon) and it turned out damned good in fact.

Its been pretty warm so my second batch has grown quite rapidly - the scoby is crazy thick (in 1 1/4th gallon). My one concern is that it's not eating up all the sugar - I really (really) don't want to be drinking anything with more than trace amounts of sugar - any recommendation of how to ensure minimal sugar in the finished product? Can I measure the sugar content somehow to determine if I should let it brew some more?

Comment

Congrats on starting your own brew! It's fantastic isn't it?

All I can say is, the longer you process, the less sugar there is.

Comment

I'd love to try this. Is it easy to do, it sounds very complicated. Do you put it in the container inside or outside of your home? I live in Texas and it is very hot here so not sure if it would spoil or not in the garage. Any suggestions? Also I know I can make my own scoby by buying a bottle and letting it sit out for a week or two but is it better to get scoby from another source?

Comment

Working...
                              X