Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Meal before Primal

Hi Everyone,

I was talking with a relative on the weekend and he mentioned to me that he was concerned about his health. We discussed nutrition, and in the process of suggesting meals, he interuppted and told me that as much as he was interested in improving his health, he was not all that interested in sacrificing his favorite foods.

This led me to think about the "All American Meal" (North American) and I wanted to write a post on my blog about "Primalizing the All American Meal" in order to help out those who feel like that have to make big changes on their way to eating more effectively.

My question for you is:

What would you consider to be an "All American Meal"?

Also, if you were to eat the same meal, how would you go about primalizing it without making too many changes?

I suppose one would be steak and baked potatoe with boiled carrots which are cooked to the point that they no longer have nutrition and are mushy.

I would keep the steak (preferrably grass fed), cook it in butter, have the potato with butter, sour cream (full fat), guacamole & bacon bits, (or have sweet potato or yam with butter to keep it simple) and steam the carrots so that they are lightly cooked and pour butter and parsely over them.

Thanks for your input.

One of my favorite pre-primal foods was hummus. The substitute however, is very easy: baba ganouj!

I also enjoyed eating rice with curry sauce, but I now find the alternative: cauliflower rice with curry sauce much more appetizing.

Ice cream becomes frozen full fat yogurt. I really enjoy the tartness of plain yogurt and find that ice cream is just way too sweet.

Various chips became dried eggplant chips that I make in a food dehydrator.

The buns of the hamburger become grilled portable mushroom caps (although I always found the buns very useless).

All in all I really don't miss any standard american diet foods. They really lack flavor and taste that is prolific in primal foods.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

I've always had a tough time picking favorites.

Surf and turf is pretty amazing, but at times a burger, fries and a shake could be just as decadent. Ever dip fries in a shake? Yeah, follow that with a bacon cheeseburger. A perfect homemade pizza was an addiction the year before going primal. I could enter a pizza contest and give the pros a run for their money. My mom's lasagna, two days old, reheated to a light crispness on the edges -- oh.my.god. A couple warm brownies with homemade vanilla ice cream and hot chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and nuts would complete any of these favorites.

Comment

My favorite meal was tortilla soup. Really, the only thing that made it so damn tasty was the cilantro. So I guess I'd just make it the normal way, but replace the corn and beans with more meat :P

Oh my god, I loved that stuff so much. I'll have to go pick up more cilantro when I get the chance and try my primalized version.
        Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

For me...
          Thanksgiving meal.
          Turkey - still cool.
          Mashed taters - out - maybe go with rutabaga instead.
          Stuffing - out - not sure what you'd substitute.
          Green bean casserole (Green bean almondine) - modify - maybe sautee mushrooms and add cream instead of the cream of mushroom soup, and sauteed onions instead of the fried onions.
          Sweet potatos - modify - no brown sugar or marshmallows (which I always found disgusting anyway, so bonus!).
          And I never liked pumpkin pie, so that's an easy issue to solve :-D
          Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
          - Ralph Marston

Comment

Honestly, it was always Thanksgiving or 4th of July dinner.
            Christmas:
            Turkey: smoked
            Mac & cheese: still fiddling with it, trying to find a squash or green that'll play well and not get gooshy.
            garlic mashed potatos: keep it and just bite the bullet on the carbs.
            green beans: they stay.
            homemade rolls: gone.
            stuffing: replace with a sautee of kale, squash, onion, garlic, and spices. Same texture, tastes better.
            veggie platter: stays.
            sausage and cheese platter: find a primal friendly summer sausage and it stays.
            chips and salsa/ guac: replace chips with pork rinds.
            Chocolate pie: Almond shell filled with a dark chocolate mousse
            Apple pecan pie: Still trying to remove sugar.

4th of July:
            Burger: remove bun, add vegetatin and salsa, got to town.
            hot dogs: never ate them anyways.
            corn on the cob: *tear* gone.
            chips and dip/ veggie platter: see above
            gazpacho: stays.
            mozz and tomatos in olive oil and basil: stays.
            baked potatos: Keep, add cheese, sour cream, bacon, and butter.
            Last edited by naiadknight; 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

Angel-hair pasta with meatballs, tomato sauce, and a big fat glass of chocolate milk (shaken with ice)

To primalize, just omit the pasta (I haven't gotten around to trying spaghetti squash yet), fry up some julienned onions and peppers, and make the meatballs heartier by adding mashed sweet potato and ground nuts to the mix.

As for the milk, I guess you can replace the chocolate with a protein powder, but just forgoing the drink altogether is really the best idea.
              Last edited by Chaohinon; 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM.
              “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                Spag with steak and minestrone. I've figured out how to correct the spag and steak, still fiddling with the minestrone.
                Out of interest what's your spaghetti subsitute?
                www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Spaghetti Squash? :-)
                  On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
                    Spaghetti Squash? :-)
                    Wow just googled that, didn't realise it existed, looks good! Dont think they sell it in my local though Ive used zuchinni in the past for pasta subst.
                    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Pan-fried potato and cheese pierogies with sauteed onions, butter, and sour cream.

I still eat those about once a month. There's no way to primalize a pasta pocket filled with potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
                        One of my favorite pre-primal foods was hummus. The substitute however, is very easy: baba ganouj!

I also enjoyed eating rice with curry sauce, but I now find the alternative: cauliflower rice with curry sauce much more appetizing.

Ice cream becomes frozen full fat yogurt. I really enjoy the tartness of plain yogurt and find that ice cream is just way too sweet.

Various chips became dried eggplant chips that I make in a food dehydrator.

The buns of the hamburger become grilled portable mushroom caps (although I always found the buns very useless).

All in all I really don't miss any standard american diet foods. They really lack flavor and taste that is prolific in primal foods.
                        oooo, i never thought of that mushroom thing.

My favorite food was Fettuccine alfredo with chicken.
                        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Oatmeal cooked in skim milk + mashed banana + peanut butter + honey + raisins
                          ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                          ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

I hosted a Thanksgiving dinner a couple of years ago where I took the traditional foods and made new versions. In particular, I was interested in taking things that were usually bland and making them spicy; mushy turned into crisp. This was the menu:
                            Pumpkin -- pumpkin hummus (instead of chickpeas) w/ veggie sticks
                            Turkey -- turkey based gumbo with turkey sausage, turkey meat and stock, okra and tomatoes, lots of cayenne
                            Green beans -- steamed lightly crisp w/ lemon rind, olive oil and almonds
                            Apples -- sliced raw in a spinach salad w/ pecans and goat cheese
                            Cranberries -- as a dessert sauce over dark chocolate mousse

Not fully traditional, although celebrating new world foods. None of the guests complained.

Comment

I think I'll take either a SoG cheesecake or figure out that primal apple pecan pie and take that to Thanksgiving this year.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X