Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife's high cholesterol LDL 260

Hello there,

I introduced my wife to paleo around 7 months ago and since then she has lost around 10 kgs and generally feels much better.

Today we've been surprised as she's been to the doctors for a health check and received test results showing very, very high LDL levels. (LDL:260 and HDL:76). The doctor has prescribed statins and a low fat low meat diet which we're really upset about.

The reason for the initial health check is that my wife has been having regular kidney/ water infections, so the doctor was trying to get to the bottom of this problem, she didn't have an infection at the time of her health check. The rest of her results were very good, e.g. low blood sugar.

Our diet has not been 100% strict, sometimes, maybe at the weekend, we may go completely off the rails with regards to paleo food, but I'd say all in all we're definitely 80% strict at the least.

I would say that my wife still has over 10-15% body fat. I have read that cholesterol levels can read high when fat is released into the blood stream from adipose tissue to be utilised as fuel.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Or could anyone offer any advice?

Many Thanks

Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver; 12-12-2014, 08:17 AM.

Cholesterol is needed to heal and an infection may be skewing her numbers. I'm not saying to ignore her levels, but I would wait until you resolve this kidney infection issue and let things stabilize. Then retest.

High cholesterol may protect against infections and atherosclerosis | QJM: An International Journal of Medicine
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-12-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply, I didn't know that. I was actually mistaken,she was tested for an infection as she thought she had symptoms but didn't have one The only thing she had wrong was high LDL levels (I've just edited my original post). She has had kidney infections in the past. The doctor has really scared her by telling her that she is at risk of a heart attack! She's only 32!
      Last edited by Oliver; 12-12-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Now you have to choose what to believe. You can take your doctor's word as authority or draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I'm not particularly impressed by the "dangers" of high LDL. However, if she's worried, she can supplement magnesium. That often lowers LDL and may get the doctor to leave her alone.
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

As she's a woman I would damn well hope she has over 10-15% bodyfat or she'd be likely to be very unwell.

Comment

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but was it a fasting test (nothing but water or black coffee for 10-12 hours before)? If not, that can throw the results all over the place.

My own personal experience has been quite contrary to "conventional" wisdom: I cut sugar and grain and increased red meat and dairy and found my LDL at an all time low and HDL at an all time high.

Assuming the quality of the foods you get are pretty high in terms of meat and cheese and fish then I can only conclude that 1) the test wasn't done fasting, 2) some other issue, 3) different people metabolize things differently with different effects.
            Last edited by DannyP; 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

MUCH LOVE: Yep, just an amateur guesstimate-- she still has some body fat, but not lot's.

Comment

She also has high HDL. The ratio is more important than the absolute numbers. I think a combination of weight loss and a higher fat diet is contributing to these numbers, but I don't think they are particular worrying. If your doctor has been keeping up with recent literature he would know about the Harvard meta analysis that recently came out showing no link between heart disease and saturated fats, as well as a number of other studies showing that low fat diets do not reduce the risk of heart disease. I would recommend not switching to a low fat diet, and I would also recommend not taking the statins, as the risk reduction for these drugs is very small (absolute risk lowered by 0.5%-9%), and side effects are many and potentially dangerous.

Comment

It was a 12 hour fast... I can't vouch for the quality of the meat, we don't buy grass-fed.

Comment

Let me put it in context. 25-30% is normal for women. "Fitness" levels are 20-25%. Some female athletes may get down a bit below 15% but it can be argued that this is not natural or healthy (female athlete triad anyone?). So thank god she is over 10-15% is all I can say.

Also may be relevant: women tend to have higher cholesterol than men but suffer less heart disease.

Comment

MuchLove: Thanks again... no problem at all with her body fat %... Just the worrying cholesterol levels.

Comment

How is her health otherwise? Does she exercise regularly, sleep well, manage stress? What sort of things is she eating?

Personally I wouldn't take the statins and would just continue to improve lifestyle.

The infections may be the reason she has elevated cholesterol and they seem more important to address. Dealing with blood sugar problems is an obvious first line attack for kidney problems. That doesnt have to mean ultra low carb. Regular exercise, moderate carb intake and supplements like chromium and alpha lipoic acid can help. Also weight loss if she is overweight.

Another thing to think of is that there seems to be some evidence that moderate rather than ultra low carbohydrate levels are beneficial for dealing with infections (cue everyone on the forum disagreeing with me, lol). Google perfect health diet - there's a great website with plenty of free info and a great book too.

Comment

Was the LDL calculated or direct measurement? Mine are about 40 pts different.
                          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
                            Hello there,

I introduced my wife to paleo around 7 months ago and since then she has lost around 10 kgs and generally feels much better.

Today we've been surprised as she's been to the doctors for a health check and received test results showing very, very high LDL levels. (LDL:260 and HDL:76). The doctor has prescribed statins and a low fat low meat diet which we're really upset about.

The reason for the initial health check is that my wife has been having regular kidney/ water infections, so the doctor was trying to get to the bottom of this problem, she didn't have an infection at the time of her health check. The rest of her results were very good, e.g. low blood sugar.

Our diet has not been 100% strict, sometimes, maybe at the weekend, we may go completely off the rails with regards to paleo food, but I'd say all in all we're definitely 80% strict at the least.

I would say that my wife still has over 10-15% body fat. I have read that cholesterol levels can read high when fat is released into the blood stream from adipose tissue to be utilised as fuel.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Or could anyone offer any advice?

Many Thanks

Oliver

Why are you upset about it? You're both intelligent adults who are in charge of your own health. If you feel great on a moderate-high fat/protein primal diet, then keep doing it. Your doctor is not in charge of your health, nor can he mandate that you do anything.

Doctors are good for emergency surgery and various tests that can be done. Other than that, they are merely sources of opinions, (opinions that I regard to provide little value).

Comment

The doctor is a few years behind if he still cares about the raw LDL-C level (whether calculated or measured doesn't matter) or the total cholesterol level.

What matters more are HDL and Triglyceride levels, and the particle type or count in the LDL portion (LDL-P). Without more detail about the LDL, it is meaningless. Her HDL of 76 is providing a lot of protection against CVD. If her triglycerides are under 100 too, I wouldn't change a thing, and I'd burn the statin script. That stuff is toxic.
                              Last edited by NewOldGuy; 12-12-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X