Could you eat a horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you eat a horse

Horse is consumed in many countries, even Canada and Mexico, but here in the US it is taboo. How do you feel about eating a horse. It's apparently leaner than beef and higher in omega 3s.

I would eat a horse.

I was daydreaming this weekend about hunting tree sloths with a baseball bat. A friend informed me they are full of parasites... too bad, they seem easy to catch.
    sigpic

Comment

I've heard a long time ago that we eat more horses in the US of A that we are aware of. A lot of the fast food chain's definition of "ground beef" the typical American's. That said meat's meat. I fixed beef tongue this weekend, I'd have no compunction about eating horse if it tasted good and it wasn't someone's riding pony.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I'll try anything twice. I'm having goat curry Friday, so horse won't be too far from that, I'd think.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Food is food. why not?
          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I think it might actually be illegal in the US. Seems like I was reading something along those lines a few days ago. But no, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it tasted ok.

Comment

Couldn't do it. I grew up with horses. There's something special about them. They bond with people and work to please them. I couldn't eat a horse no more than I could eat a dog or cat.

Sheer sentimentality on my part? Maybe. But the idea of eating a horse is anathema to me.

Comment

I'd be able to eat most animals so long as I know they aren't poisonous and never met them living. It's a curiosity thing for me. I think I could eat cat or dog, so long as I never met it alive.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by alurien View Post
                  I think it might actually be illegal in the US. Seems like I was reading something along those lines a few days ago. But no, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it tasted ok.
                  There are no federal laws against it. But there are many state and local laws against it. The last slaughterhouse in the USA that killed horses for consumption (both for humans and animals) was ordered to close it's doors a few years ago (2008?)

Comment

I second some others...I've too much affection for the beasts...just like I do dogs, cats, etc.

Not sure if it's becoming PB, maturity, or what...but I've found a larger soft spot for animals in general the last couple of years. With that, I would only want to harm one if needed for food. Otherwise, I'm a few steps above live and let live. I'm actually turning my yard into a native certified habitat for birds, butterflies, squirrels and the occasional Peter Cottontail that may wander across.
                    Last edited by jrherring; 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM. Reason: wander not wonder. blah
                    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Originally posted by jrherring View Post
                      I'm actually turning my yard into a native certified habitat for birds, butterflies, squirrels and the occasional Peter Cottontail that may wonder across.
                      Your yard sounds delicious
                      sigpic

Comment

I have eaten worse!
                        Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

I could not do it.

Comment

I would eat the Horse. I have a dream of owning my own butcher shop, full of grass fed's, wild game, and maybe some exotics? Primal has really tuned me into the hunter mentality, so whenever I see an animal I wonder, "How would that taste?" :O (Except Dogs and Cats...maybe) Plus, I lived overseas for most of my life and have thus encountered a myriad of meats. So...I'd eat the Horse!

Oh! I agree with MeatMe216. jrherring, your yard makes me hungry...no offense!
                            Last edited by PrimalHooah; 06-07-2010, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I can't find grass fed beef out here in the desert. I don't want to pay online prices to have some shipped. The only time I did, the meat did not taste good to me at all. I'll eat grain fed organic that is available before dropping $200 bucks for something unknown again. I'm trying to cow pool for an angus steer that's 3 hours away with no luck. HOWEVER, I can horse pool on a wild horse (adopted from a program but now injured and being put down), and it's cheap, a buck a pound includes slaughter and butchering. I can even trade 2 pounds of horse for 1 pound of Camp Pendleton Bison, up to 50 pounds, but I need to buy 200 pounds of horse. I'm hesitant. Do I want that much horse? It would take up all my freezer space. I have a couple hours to decide.

Comment

Working...
                              X