No announcement yet.

Could you eat a horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly would. I had a long debate about this with my boss (who loves meat, I was a vegetarian at the time).
    Seriously... what is the difference between a cow and a horse (or a dog or hamster for that matter) when you get down to it? The only things are related to society and the taboos of the society... as you put it. It's all mental. Its illogical in the context of this question. If you have psychological issues with it, fine... but don't try to convince anyone else that it's unhealthy or 'immoral'.

I won't eat meat that I know is unhealthy or meat that repels me by taste. I do everything I can to eat humanely raised and butchered meat in ways that are sustainable for the environment and society at large. The animal it came from has little meaning in the contexts of those stipulations.

Comment

I could totally eat a horse.
      Just not all at once ;-)

Comment

I've never seen horse meat for sale anywhere I've lived in Canada either.

Many of the restaurants I ate at in Paris last month had "steak au cheval" (horse steak) on the menu. Considered it, but was hesitant to order it when there was tasty beef and lamb available.

Will probably try it in the future, if I have the opportunity.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Well since I brought up Canada, let me clarify. In Quebec French restaurants often serve it. In the US slaughtering horses for meat (commercially) was banned, so they are shipped alive to Mexico or Canada for processing. That's what I was told yesterday, anyway. Reading a little more, it sounds like almost all the horse meat in Canada is being shipped to Europe. I imagine the same is true of Mexico.

Comment

Nope, just like eating a dog or cat I just cant do it.
            My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

Comment

No way. I spent every summer until I was in high school with horses, they're just like dogs to me. I recognize the hypocrisy, but I don't care, I accept that I'm sentimental about it and I am also very prone to anthropomorphizing. I wouldn't knowingly eat dogs (or any canid), cats, or horses, and haven't yet been able to eat goat because I really love goats! I do think that animals like dogs and horses have been companions (not just chattel) to humans for so long we have a different relationship to them than many other animals we do eat, at least in this culture.

As a former vegan I've now eaten lamb and foie gras in addition to more typical meats, so I figure I've done my part in the spirit of adventure.

Comment

If I were served horse under the belief that it was beef, I would eat it and probably enjoy it. But tell me what it is and I couldn't do it. I love experimenting with different cuisines, flavours, etc. but I am super-picky when it comes to meat. I only eat chicken, beef and pork, the "normal" meats. It's totally a mental thing - I'd have an unblockable "you're eating a horse, you're eating a horse" voice on the back of my mind. I'm not a horse-lover or anything, but still. Now if someone were to present me with cat meat, I would have a nervous breakdown.

Comment

129186718358240590..jpg

I'll get my coat...

Seriously though, I'd try it In steak form, not processed

Comment

When I was in France I had horse. I liked it. Years after returning to the USA, quite by accident I discovered some fine frozen horse 'haunches' in a freezer in a feed store. They were destined for dog food. They were very inexpensive too. I bought one and had a fine roast. I continued to buy more. Since leaving that part of the country and getting closer to the city life in a small country town---still too much city for me---I haven't had horse.

I thought it was a bit like beef but a little sweeter. Can't think of a better word for it.

In France, horse is sold in different shops than beef and other critters. I don't know why. I think it is something about horse meat that they think is dangerous. Maybe like trichinosis in swine, tularemia in rabbits, salmonella in chickens, pesticides and strange chemicals in humans, etc.
                    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

I lived in Switzerland for more than a year. I never tasted it, but it is a delicacy there. My friends said that the meat is best, very rare. It is very soft and does not need much cooking. It also rarely has any infections, so it is safe to eat rare.

Comment

Horse flesh is good. I ate it in Geneva. Had it medium rare (seignon) upon the recommendation of the locals
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by lecz0r View Post
                          It's all mental. Its illogical in the context of this question. If you have psychological issues with it, fine... but don't try to convince anyone else that it's unhealthy or 'immoral'.
                          +1
                          Me saying I wouldn't eat a puppy but I would eat a horse/cow/chicken/pig is I suppose hypocritical but definitely not because its "immoral" its just my own "psychological issues" with it.
                          The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

So I just asked a chinese friend of mine about eating donkeys, and man... you should have seen her face light up. "oooh donkey is so tender, and delicious!" hahahahah. It was too funny, she said that she doesn't like horse though.

Comment

"Seriously... what is the difference between a cow and a horse (or a dog or hamster for that matter) when you get down to it? The only things are related to society and the taboos of the society... as you put it. It's all mental. Its illogical in the context of this question."

I would eat a horse but I think its perfectly reasonable for people to pick and choose the animals they eat based on perceived itelligence. I wouldn't eat a chimp or a dolphin. Why? Because they're smart and have the ability to communicate with us. Obviously there's a lot of gray area and people's opinions about what is considered too smart to eat will likely differ but I don't think its silly or wrong to think this way. If you think this way, as I do, you have to take your convictions with a grain of salt and recognize that we can never know what's going on in another animals head. That's why most of you probably throw your hands up and eat them all.

Comment

Although I'd like to murder some of the horses I work with, I don't think I'd be able to eat horse. If nothing else, I would be scared that it would be contaminated due to a lack of rules and regulations about medicating and so forth. To my knowledge, there are very few laws in place for horse slaughter- and the medications and so forth used in the equine industry are NOT something that I'd want to be consuming.

Comment

Working...
                                X