No announcement yet.

What primal foods are packed with iron?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What primal foods are packed with iron?

Hi,

Since I am volounteering to give blood, I had it checked, and it turns out I'm a bit low on iron. I need to fill up the reservoirs in order to be allowed to give blood, so I was given a package of iron pills. I don't really like the pills, however, as they aren't too kind to my stomach and would prefer getting my iron from natural, primal sources. Any tips on the most iron-dense foods? I heard organs like liver are good, but unfortunately, I haven't yet learned to enjoy liver dishes..

Beef! Eat your beef!

Comment

Try here:
      http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#h2

Comment

Yes liver is very rich in iron. Cooked with onions and bacon it is very tasty. Maybe look up some recipes (Liver and Bacon). Very popular in UK. Trick is not to overcook liver as it becomes tough. Lightly cooked and slightly pink inside it's very soft. You do need a bit of sauce or gravy with it though. Hope this is of help or as Zed has said - Beef! Nothing wrong with a big fat steak to increase those iron levels. Don't have it with caffeine though, hinders absorption of iron, salad good.

Comment

Originally posted by shadgal View Post
          Yes liver is very rich in iron. Cooked with onions and bacon it is very tasty. Maybe look up some recipes (Liver and Bacon). Very popular in UK.
          Totally agree on the liver thing, it probably has more bio available iron than any other food. Popular in the UK though? I get my liver incredibly cheap because my butcher tells me nobody buys it. I get a kilo for about £7, grass fed lamb killed but a couple of days before.

Comment

...was sure I's replied to this but my post seems to have disappeared

..anyway I posted this link which has details of the iron levels in lots of primal-friendly foods:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#h2

Comment

Maybe you should also consider to consume vitamin C to help your body to better absorb the iron in the food you eat. Liver and beef are great sources of iron, but if you also want to get some additional iron from vegetables you can get it from spinach, turnip greens, kale, collards, Beans, asparagus, cauliflower chard, celery, beets, cabbage, and raisins.
              Navy SEAL Workout
              Top Fat Loss Trainer
              Advanced Fat Loss

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice! What a great excuse to indulge in beef. And I think I will actually give the liver a second chance. It's not very popular in Norway, so maybe the butcher will have some cheap, good liver for me. And bacon pretty much makes anything better, so I'll try that.. Maybe with a dessert of C-packed fruits and berries?

Comment

Why not make a pork and liver pate? It keeps really well for a week, is delicious and packs loads of vit. D.

Comment

I know lots of people who like liver and bacon, but I'm not one of them. I do however like liver pate. You can make it, but if buying it make sure you get a good quality one with plenty of % meat. Some have very little real liver at all.
                    My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Ive heard that cooking in cast iron adds iron to your food. Not sure how much tho...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zed View Post
                        Beef! Eat your beef!
                        Horse is higher in iron and omega 3s.

Comment

Liver and spinach. Also raisins, if you aren't trying to lose weight.

Perhaps I'm biased, but EAT YOUR BEEF. BEEFSISTER COMMANDS YOU.
                          Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
                            Ive heard that cooking in cast iron adds iron to your food. Not sure how much tho...
                            Depends on how old the cookware is. The older the cast iron cookware becomes the less iron it adds to your food.
                            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

So making a spinach omelet in my brand new, cast iron frying pan could perhaps be an alternative to liver?

Funny thing, I actually saw a big sign with "LIVER" and listing all the different kinds of liver they had when I rode the tram past the butcher this morning. It's everywhere. I think I should go there now, and just get over it. Or maybe they have some ready-made patés. Hm.. How about a nice, fatty foie gras, does that also contain a lot of iron? Or should I worry that the objectionable practice of making an animal sick before you eat it may be a non-optimal primal choice..?

Comment

Working...
                              X