Farmers Market Finally!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmers Market Finally!

So finally the weather is warming up here in Colorado and the farmers markets are starting to get more local produce in stock. Here was our haul from the closest market this weekend.

Cucumbers, farm eggs, onions, asparagus, green lettuce, romaine lettuce, and freshly roasted green chilis (they were still hot when we picked them up).

Not a ton, but I shop both for price and for local resources, and there was still A LOT of stuff coming from California and Mexico. Nothing organic unfortunately, there was VERY little selection of organic. Still poking around for a good budget friendly organic produce source.

Big salads tonight and I think I will do some elk backstrap on the grill with green chilis inside and wrapped in bacon. Maybe grilled asparagus as well. Mmmm.
    Erin
    Daily Vlogs
    Primal Pets Blog

This post just made me realize again how much I miss living in coastal Southern California. 6 days a week, 12 months a year, there's a farmer's market somewhere nearby loaded with organic foods that has to be sold NOW. The farmer's market out here in the so cal desert is a joke. A couple guys with vans drive to the wholesale produce mart in downtown LA and basically bring the same stuff that our grocery stores have. Meh.

Comment

Our CSA box started last week - lettuce, radishes, kale, turnips, chard, broccoli, green garlic, spinach, napa cabbage. Lots of big old green leaves to eat eat eat!

Comment

The farmers market here just opened yesterday, too. Only open June to first of Oct. Not all organic, but definitely local stuff. Got some asparagus, lettuces, radishes, bison, sausages, organic free range eggs, and a free range chicken (described by the seller as 'happy chickens') that was lipsmackingly devoured for dinner today. Yum.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

I just cooked up a fab dinner with half the items bought today.....I am going to have to hunt up more farmers markets at this rate!

Grol, entirely jealous. Colorado is a beautiful state, but it does not have much of a growing season like California. I am working on a few garden items this year.....hoping to put in larger boxes next year and MAYBE get the HOA to approve a cover so I can have some greenhouse items.
          Erin
          Daily Vlogs
          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

thats some nice looking produce
            sigpic

Comment

Here are the after effects of our shopping (and an intense 3 mile hike/trail run that we tossed in for the fun of it)....

Grilled asparagus
              Side salad (tomatoes and red pepper were from grocery)

and the winner of the group

Grilled elk backstrap stuffed with fresh roasted green chilies, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. All I can say is YUMMO. They came out great. Think I will post the recipe on my site so I can remember that one.

Erin
              Daily Vlogs
              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

I'm shocked your farmers market allows out of state stuff. The one I manage, we have to adhere to certain guidelines in order to get funding to promote the market. MUST be local, within 100kms.
                SW: 235
                CW:220
                Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Oh, Meadow, I got goose bumps! POST THAT RECIPE!!!!

Comment

those kebabs look amazing
                    sigpic

Comment

I put the basic recipe up here. I don't have exact measurements...but this is one of those hard to mess up ones (bacon makes everything good..lol). We usually use wild duck breasts for this...but using venison backstrap was even better.

Originally posted by elorajade View Post
                      I'm shocked your farmers market allows out of state stuff. The one I manage, we have to adhere to certain guidelines in order to get funding to promote the market. MUST be local, within 100kms.
                      Oh I wish. I am just south of denver, and all the close by markets are crowded with vitamins, chiropractors, siding sales, and make up. Who wants to go to a farmers market and buy memory foam pillows? The largest one near me (still 20 minute drive), is about 30-40 booths....and only 4 contain veggies. There were only 2 meat vendors, and only one of those would classify as a local grassfed option. Its pretty slim pickings.

I hear our Boulder farmers market is MUCH better...but that is an hour and 20 minute drive, so I have not ventured up there yet.

It doesn't help that Colorado has a very selective and short growing season. The markets are improving.....slowly....I keep telling everyone I know to hit up the markets. Its the shoppers that will drive the growth I believe.
                      Erin
                      Daily Vlogs
                      Primal Pets Blog

Comment

So, after the discussions last week I decided to schlep myself up to the Boulder Farmer's Market that is about an hour away (my brother lives nearby so I made it a social and shopping trip).

MUCH much better selection...all sorts of organic local farms, much much better then the ones closer to my house. Although it was 50 degrees and raining, so I did not linger at the stands.

I only picked up just a few things as I have a bunch of veggies in the fridge I am still working on. I wanted to buy more, but I was drawing blanks on recipes, and I have learned to only buy things I KNOW I will use.

I grabbed spinach, kale (I think dinosaur kale maybe??), some local cheeses, and a 6 pack of starter lettuce plants I am going to add to my deck garden.

The cheeses actually came from the farm I own a cow share at for my raw milk....they have a booth at the market just for their cheese since raw milk sales are illegal in the state.

There were 3 natural beef stands, one bison, and one chicken. I am fairly set on meat (elk and deer in freezer), but tried to find marrow bones with no success. If they had them, they were labeled as 'dog bones', but they were out of stock. I was a bit surprised at how expensive they were, over 4 dollars a pound, and those were not organic and I don't think they were grass finished either. I went by Whole Foods on the way home, same deal, all they had were grain finished and they were also almost 4 dollars a pound (and labeled as dog bones too). I contacted a ranch last week but they have not returned my message. Guess I am still on the hunt for grass fed marrow bones.....
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                          Here are the after effects of our shopping (and an intense 3 mile hike/trail run that we tossed in for the fun of it)....

Grilled asparagus
                          Side salad (tomatoes and red pepper were from grocery)

and the winner of the group

Grilled elk backstrap stuffed with fresh roasted green chilies, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. All I can say is YUMMO. They came out great. Think I will post the recipe on my site so I can remember that one.

That looks awesome! Keep posting photos like that!!!!!

Originally posted by elorajade View Post
                          Our local farmers market also gets out of state stuff when it is not in season yet here. Most of it comes from Florida and I am in Michigan...

But, now, today, just about everything is local
                          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X