Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Inflammatory Foods?

Hi Everyone,

I'm battling some pretty serious autoimmunity disorders and I need your help.
    Can you recommend foods that have anti-inflammatory properties that also fit into the Primal Blueprint guidelines?
    Thank you so much! Katooshie

Avoiding anything with omega-6 fats (nuts, seeds, pork, chicken, etc) will reduce inflammation.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

Hi Katooshie,

I recommend that you start reading about how to heal your digestion. As there is much evidence that many auto immunity disorders can be affected by the microbes in one's intestines.

Read up on Butyrate, Resistant Starch, 'gut biome', prebiotics, etc. etc.

This is not to say that you shouldn't also be looking at the inflammatory properties of foods. Just to add something more to your research.
      What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Oh - and I think almost everyone around here will put wheat at the top of the avoid list.
        What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Have you tried the autoimmune protocol (AIP)? It is more restrictive than standard paleo, especially during the initial elimination phase. However, if you have an autoimmune disease, AIP is probably worth considering. ThePaleoMom's autoimmunity section is a good place to start. These food charts are useful. You can also google "autoimmune protocol" and find other advice sources as well as recipes.

Comment

Thank you, sharperhawk! That was exactly what I am looking for! Katooshie

Comment

3 weeks ago I went and visited one of the Blue Zones (regions where there is a greater concentration of centenarians) here in Costa Rica. We stayed in a family's home, as there were no hotels in the area (only rural tourism). Do you think they have any clue what a calorie is, much less anti-inflammatory foods? Nope. I think that we entirely over-complicate our diets.

So what did they eat? 90% of what they ate, they grew/raised it. We had pasta once (they buy it) and we had either corn tortillas or bread (they buy wheat flour and cornmeal). Everything else we ate? They grew it and/or raised it. Calories, what are those? Macronutrient ratios? Forbidden foods? They would look at me like I was crazy if I started talking like that.

We ate a lot of fruits, vegetables, rice, beans, corn tortillas, bread, pig, cow, chicken, dairy. Parts primal, parts forbidden. Not a care in the world. They wouldn't have a clue who Mark Sisson is, paleo/primal blah blah. I learned so much on the weekend. Life is easy. We complicate it. Especially with what to eat.

Comment

As someone dealing with autoimmune shenanigans myself, I've personally found that the removal of inflammatory foods (grains and legumes) from my diet has helped much more than adding hyped up anti-inflammatory foods (ginger, turmeric, the latest miracle berry discovered in the Amazon rainforest, etc).

Originally posted by costahobo View Post
                3 weeks ago I went and visited one of the Blue Zones (regions where there is a greater concentration of centenarians) here in Costa Rica. We stayed in a family's home, as there were no hotels in the area (only rural tourism). Do you think they have any clue what a calorie is, much less anti-inflammatory foods? Nope. I think that we entirely over-complicate our diets.

So what did they eat? 90% of what they ate, they grew/raised it. We had pasta once (they buy it) and we had either corn tortillas or bread (they buy wheat flour and cornmeal). Everything else we ate? They grew it and/or raised it. Calories, what are those? Macronutrient ratios? Forbidden foods? They would look at me like I was crazy if I started talking like that.

We ate a lot of fruits, vegetables, rice, beans, corn tortillas, bread, pig, cow, chicken, dairy. Parts primal, parts forbidden. Not a care in the world. They wouldn't have a clue who Mark Sisson is, paleo/primal blah blah. I learned so much on the weekend. Life is easy. We complicate it. Especially with what to eat.
                Sounds great, but what's really complicated is growing your own vegetables and slaughtering your own pigs when you're living in the middle of suburbia or a high rise apartment.

Comment

Not a care in the world. They wouldn't have a clue who Mark Sisson is, paleo/primal blah blah. I learned so much on the weekend. Life is easy. We complicate it. Especially with what to eat.
                  Good for them. But many people outside the Blue Zone have been eating crap for decades. Many of them come to paleo with chronic health problems. If they do nothing to educate themselves, they will continue to make bad choices. There are even health professionals and organizations touting unhealthy foods like whole wheat bread and vegetable oil. The Blue Zone doesn't need Mark, Robb, Loren, Sarah B., et alia, but the rest of the world certainly does.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightly Orange View Post
                    Sounds great, but what's really complicated is growing your own vegetables and slaughtering your own pigs when you're living in the middle of suburbia or a high rise apartment.
                    I know, right? If only somebody would start a business that would be kind of like a middleman between people that produce their own food, and people that want to buy that food...

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                      Good for them. But many people outside the Blue Zone have been eating crap for decades. Many of them come to paleo with chronic health problems. If they do nothing to educate themselves, they will continue to make bad choices. There are even health professionals and organizations touting unhealthy foods like whole wheat bread and vegetable oil. The Blue Zone doesn't need Mark, Robb, Loren, Sarah B., et alia, but the rest of the world certainly does.
                      Even more interesting (to me, at least) is that the various Blue Zones' diets goes against some of what Mark, Robb, Loren, etc say is bad for us. How can people say that some of these foods are bad for us, when the very people that live the longest, healthiest lives eat those very same foods?

Comment

Even more interesting (to me, at least) is that the various Blue Zones' diets goes against some of what Mark, Robb, Loren, etc say is bad for us. How can people say that some of these foods are bad for us, when the very people that live the longest, healthiest lives eat those very same foods?
                        Because observational data is full of confounding variables. Their lives are different from ours in countless ways. Which of those things account for the difference? Some of those things may be harmful, yet they are offset by other good things. Maybe if someone could adapt 100% of what a Blue Zone culture does, he or she would get the benefits, but that's not realistic for most people. We need to know what works, what doesn't, what the effective dose is, under what conditions does something good become bad or vice versa, etc. In other words, we need science to help interpret experience.

Comment

Costahobo: With all due respect, I've been eating the same as the Blue Zone people for most of my life, with the exception that I don't slaughter my own animals for meat, and my vision is failing, and I have a collection of symptoms that keep me from working and living a full life. I definitely think there's much more to healing autoimmune disorders than just "doing what comes naturally," especially in light of the fact that so much of our food supply is tampered with in unnatural ways such as genetic modifications and hybridization that includes chemical and radiation applied to seeds to create mutations in order to gain higher yields.

Comment

Working...
                          X