Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$70 to my name, a nearly empty fridge, 6 days before payday, any meal ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $70 to my name, a nearly empty fridge, 6 days before payday, any meal ideas?

The title pretty much covers it. I'm a broke hoe and I've got $70 to work with until payday with very little food in the fridge - 6 or 7 eggs, coconut oil, butter, pickles, 1/2 package of bacon (it was frozen, tastes a little "off"), and a little cheddar cheese.

In the old days I could have eaten well for $70 over 6 days - rice dishes, hamburger helper, pasta, ramen...cheap and tasty.

Primal's much more expensive, fuck.

Any meal ideas to tide me over for the next 6 days that involves what I already have and no more than $70 in groceries from the store?
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Oh, and misc. spices and condiments and whatnot.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

Woah 70$ is plenty of money for a week. Eggs & ground beef and some veggies.
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

definitely buy more eggs! like a ton. and a big ass package of the cheapest ground beef you can find and call it a day. or 6 days :P
        The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

How many people are you feeding?
          My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

+1 for eggs and ground beef. With those two items you'll be eating like a king. Burgers, Meatloaf, Taco Salad, etc...
            I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Syracusedoula View Post
              How many people are you feeding?

Just me, but I'm really big with an even bigger appetite!

Comment

I could feed you on $70. My weekly grocery budget for six people is $150.
                My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

$70 is totally doable. Buy eggs, eggs, more eggs, 2 chuck roasts or pork shoulders (whichever on a better sale) and more eggs. a couple onions, bag of carrots, some button mushrooms and some frozen veggies (spinach gives a lot of nutrition per lb).

slow cook the roasts with lots of onions and a couple carrots (Bay leaves and paprika if you have them, canned tomatoes if they're on sale). reserve the juices to cook mushrooms in. I've been known to make one chuck or pork shoulder last for dinner every day for a week. make eggs and veggies for breakfast and either eggs or leftover . If you have soy sauce or aminos, you can scramble eggs with that and some shredded pork and onions for a lovely one-dish meal (I used to eat this at a Hawaiian restaurant, they served it over rice but it always filled me up before I got that far)

Comment

With 70$ you should be fine buying a few good bits of meat + pack of bacon (as well as the eggs) until payday.

@Syracusedoula, thats a tight budget! Right now i'm on 50 a week for two. Still testing this out though, only recently began Primal.
                    One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

All of the above plus, if you are into it, you can get some protein powder to get you through. I use Jay Robb protein powder which is even more primal than the Primal Nutrition powder (no soy) and costs $20 for 12 servings. It's a good way to stretch your meals in a tight week.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                      5'10" female, 38 y/o
                      Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                      WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                      DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                      EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

Check the ads for meats and veggies on sale at the grocery store, plan meals around what you find on sale. Lots of eggs....hit up farmers market for veggies, sometimes you can get great deals there. I buy my eggs from a local farm and they are a dollar cheaper per dozen then the store (they are not 100% organic, but they are freerange and she does not feed soy or corn....so that is better then organic in my book plus cheaper).

I second the roasts....those are a great stretch food. You can do a pork roast, and make lettuce wraps and salads with that for a couple days plus. Use ground meats and make a large meatloaf. If you can find them on sale, whole chickens can be a good buy, great roasted....or roast the less expensive cuts like thighs or leg quarters.

No convenience foods....like buy spinach and lettuce in bunches rather then prepackaged.

If you don't have a membership, see if you can get a friend to take you and hit up a Costco or Sams for a couple bulk items.....my Costco has a decent selection on organic meats and veggies. You need to price shop (and stay focused not to buy anything extra)....some things on sale in my local grocery store are better then the Costco, but a lot of times I can find good buys (some of the meats have good prices, I can get baby spinach, cucumbers, and usually peppers at a good price).

Good luck!
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Like everyone said, eggs and beef.

And the cheapest meal you can find, IF!!!!
                          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Oh yeah, the protein powder is definitely a plus!
                            "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Yes, don't forget a couple of heaping plates of IF.
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X