How Good or Bad is White Rice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good or Bad is White Rice?

Where I live, white rice is one of the basic and cheap food items that is used in almost all meals. It is very hard to find other types of rice except for the normal white.

As I am exposed to white rice daily, it is very hard to avoid.

Could anyone inform me about the positive and negative side of eating rice?

White rice is my number one food for carb up days when I'm serious about powerlifting. I think it's easily digested and has very few antinutrients compared to other grains. Never had a problem even after being primal for months.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

White rice, all things considered, is not the worst thing you could eat. It's just a load of empty calories, and is rather high on the GI, but there are certainly worse vices you could have. I suppose it would be alright to eat in small amounts, if you must. It won't kill you, and is certainly better than most any other grain. So I say go ahead, but I would be careful about eating to much of it, unless you are a big weight lifter, or something.
      Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

I thought white rice was moderate GI; I don't know what the Glycemic Load information on NutritionData means. If I HAVE to eat grain, white rice is it. But yeah, it's just an empty filler - something to soak up that last bit of gravy rather than a nutritious component of your meal.

Comment

It's not terrible, but it's pretty much just empty starch. You're better off with potatoes, which at least come with a decent amount of micro-nutrients and protein. Or quinoa.

And really, what do you trust more: heavily processed rice, or a spud that you pull out of the ground and cram in your mouth?
          Last edited by Chaohinon; 06-05-2010, 04:45 PM.
          “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

I thought green bananas was the staple in Samoa.

Comment

Ok, I'm confused. I thought white rice was not as good as other rices?
              My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Syracusedoula View Post
                Ok, I'm confused. I thought white rice was not as good as other rices?
                It's the 'cleanest' one in terms of antinutrients and gluten, but it's also nothing but empty calories.
                ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

I think white rice is much less offensive than ANY of the other grains. It's just a pile of starch that will for sure cause your body to release insulin but not much else. It's not like the other grains that go through and terrorize your body in so many ways. If I didn't have weight to lose I would eat it more. so as long as you're not struggling with weight or blood sugars I'd say go ahead and enjoy (small) portions here and there. It is a great filler in so many recipes.

Comment

I sincerely think that listening to one's body is important when considering food choices, especially once the "detox" period has passed. I've noticed no ill effects from eating a moderate amount of rice with a meal on an occasional basis. I'm underweight, so gaining a bit is certainly not a concern - but I do have GI issues that are not aggravated by white rice. I'd agree with the above that it's probably fine on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahewa View Post
                      Where I live, white rice is one of the basic and cheap food items that is used in almost all meals. It is very hard to find other types of rice except for the normal white.

Could anyone inform me about the positive and negative side of eating rice?
                      It carries the same risk as eating any other sugar....... As a grain, it doesn't fit with a primal diet....it's one of the core principles - no grains, no sugar.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

There are no positives. Rice is a grain, and it's 100% starchy carbs.
                        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Rice or not rice

Originally posted by Godzilla View Post
                          I thought green bananas was the staple in Samoa.
                          Godzilla you are absolutely right, bananas is a major food item in Samoa and it has its highest value when it's still green. It is cooked like a potato for about 20 minutes. Take out the water and pour some coconut cream mixed with onions and salt on top. Great food. Another common food item in Samoa is the Taro root.
                          Look at the Samoan Rugby players, they are eating lots of taro to get big and strong, as it contains natural steroids.

Still people eat lots of imported white rice which sometimes is more attractive than the local produce. I eat both bananas and rice although I have always been a bit concerned about what the rice is doing to me.

I agree with Helen that rice is probably best for just soaking up that last bit of gravy. Thank you for giving me a better understanding about rice or not rice...

Comment

Now you've got me interested in green bananas. Seems like they could be a worthwhile part of the diet.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x228112563w28401/

Polynesian diet
                            - interesting that as usual they are trying to find the 'magic bullet' ingredient but it's the 'whole food' doing the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                              You're better off with potatoes...
                              Unless you have a problem with nightshades (which I do). Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, are great. They are where a majority of my carbs come from, but I do have a little white rice here and there as it is tolerated very well by my stomach and helps a lot after a grueling, glycogen-depleting workout.

Comment

Working...
                              X