Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Carbs = Fast Weight Loss ?

Hello all!

So I've been primal for a year, but only recently really getting into gear with weight loss. So far I'm down 10 pounds woohoo, but I still have a bit to go. I lost it by eating 20-50g of carbs over the past 4 weeks.

BUT here's the deal, I'm going away in a little over two weeks, and I want to feel comfortable in my t-shirts and summer clothing.

I'm lifting heavy things, and sprinting a few time a week, getting good sleep.

But I really want to revvvv up my fat loss! I'm considering going zero carb for a few weeks to ensure that I'm happy with the way I look when I go away. Any thoughts on this? Any body try it?

I know Jimmy Moore (from livin la vida lowcarb) went on an "egg fast" (w/ lots of butter and cheese of course) for a month, and he lost about a pound a day. I'm not expecting those kind crazy results, but I'm looking for that extra something, and I'm wondering if zero carb for a little bit is it?

Oh and, I'm 5'5 and 150lbs.

I'm not much of a weight loss expert (130 pounds to 140 since starting PB/paleo) but I recently listened to Jimmy's interview with Dr. Ron Rosdale and was pretty blown away by his comprehensive approach. Definitely give it a listen before making up your mind as to your course of action.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I'm zero carb and honestly the weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like... so I'd say no, not really.
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Going zero carb just might get you where you want to be. Only one way to find out. Enjoy!

There's a funny thing about "getting where you want to be" though. I've often found that when I get there, all of a sudden I want to be somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Roach View Post
          Going zero carb just might get you where you want to be. Only one way to find out. Enjoy!

There's a funny thing about "getting where you want to be" though. I've often found that when I get there, all of a sudden I want to be somewhere else.
          ha! very true! although i've been wanting to reach a certain goal for a while now, so to be honest, i'm excited at the prospect of finally being able to obtain it. and i can't wait find out what i'll want for my body and health next!

Comment

listened to it today, very interesting interview!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
              I'm zero carb and honestly the weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like... so I'd say no, not really.
              But did the weight come off fairly quickly at first? In my experience, it did, then bottomed out for some time. I listened to the Rosedale interview as well and wondered about that 'moderate' protein recommendation. He's at 1 gram of protein per kilo of LBM.

On average, you want to have approximately one gram of protein for every kilogram of lean body mass (that is, the weight of your body minus the fat). The easiest way to calculate your daily protein requirement is to take your ideal weight in kilograms (that is, what you would like to weigh if you could weigh anything) and have roughly a gram of protein per kilogram.
              <--from his site
              Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by TCOHTom View Post
                But did the weight come off fairly quickly at first? In my experience, it did, then bottomed out for some time. I listened to the Rosedale interview as well and wondered about that 'moderate' protein recommendation. He's at 1 gram of protein per kilo of LBM.
                Yeah, it did, then it stopped. I was also at 1 gram of protein per kilo of BW.

Comment

If zero carb has stopped working, then playing with intermittent fasting may be the next step for you.

edit: I am dense today and can't read. Sammerb, you might want to throw IFing in there as well just for kicks.
                  Last edited by Grumpycakes; 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
                    If zero carb has stopped working, then playing with intermittent fasting may be the next step for you.

edit: I am dense today and can't read. Sammerb, you might want to throw IFing in there as well just for kicks.
                    Will do!!! I'm excited, zero carb begins tomorrow! I'm going to keep this thread updated!!

Comment

Originally posted by sammerb View Post
                      Will do!!! I'm excited, zero carb begins tomorrow! I'm going to keep this thread updated!!
                      Awesome!

I'm fasting everyday and doing zero carb and the weight's hardly coming off. =\ ugh. Hope if works for ya.

Comment

IF, low carb, and sprinting.

The trifecta.
                        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                          Awesome!

I'm fasting everyday and doing zero carb and the weight's hardly coming off. =\ ugh. Hope if works for ya.
                          Woe! Killer! How long do you fast everyday? & What do you end up eating? What have you results been so far with it?

Comment

Originally posted by sammerb View Post
                            Woe! Killer! How long do you fast everyday? & What do you end up eating? What have you results been so far with it?
                            I fast everyday between 18-24 hours. Usually it's one big meal, but some days two. Results... I'm looking leaner. I feel like I'm building muscle on my arms and chest even though I am on a caloric deficit and zero carb. At least I'm not losing muscle, that's for sure. But my stomach is still there. My abs are invisible. I'm going to stick to it for a little longer though. I THINK it will work. I'm just very impatient.

Comment

sorry but i am in the band camp that food quality = healthy hormones= environment for weight loss....it's still about the amount of food you consume and getting your vita/mineral macro/micros right...if you dont set you body up for an environment allowing fat loss then it just aint gonna happen. on ZC you need to eat organs, marrow etc and not burgers and chicken thighs....it may 'work' but it will eventually kick you in the @ss....

IMO*****
                              Get on my Level
                              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X