Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite cooking fat

Just curious. What is yours?

I've just discovered suet and I love it!

I ditched the butter a few weeks ago. I eat coconut oil but don't really cook with it.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Lard & butter.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

I cook pretty much everything in a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mix of virgin coconut oil, EVOO, and bacon fat

it looks and smells like Grok's anus, but is awesome nonetheless
      “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Butter mostly unless I'm cooking meat like ground beef or sauage then I cook whatever else in the fat from that (as long as it's all the same meal,I don't save fat) I've tried bacon grease and hated it, and I don't like EVOO much. Now, if I could get or render some good lard then I would use that probably more than butter.

Comment

It depends. If I'm making something with South Asian spices, I'll use Ghee. If I'm making something that's going to have coconut milk in it---I'll use coconut oil. For eggs, either coconut oil, or butter.

I only use EVOO cold, for dressings and marinades.

Comment

For now butter. Ive only used my Coconut oil to drink straight up or with a smoothies(makes some of the best smoothies/shakes ive ever tasted.)

One of these days i might try cooking with it, but for now its just too precious to cook with.
            "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I cook in either butter or goose fat. Food that is going to be served cold I cook with olive oil because cold sat fat is not that nice. I'm talking of things like chicken drumsticks served cold which I have for lunch at work. Might try lard once my goose fat has run out.
              My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by jo View Post
                I cook in either butter or goose fat. Food that is going to bite served cold I cook with olive oil because cold sat fat is not that nice. I'm talking of things like chicken drumsticks served cold which I have for lunch at work. Might try lard once my goose fat has run out.
                It's not, hehe. Every chance i get i throw some EVOO on a cold dish.
                "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Usually bacon grease. If I'm making something Asian-ish, I'll use coconut oil.
                  My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                  On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

A lot of you are saying "butter"... what butter exactly? Doesn't it have to be grass-fed or something?
                    One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

Well, since I went primal a month ago, I haven't really cooked anything IN fat/oil other than breakfast (eggs/omelette). For that specific use, I have a hard time believing anything could beat bacon grease!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                        A lot of you are saying "butter"... what butter exactly? Doesn't it have to be grass-fed or something?
                        I get organic valley butter. I believe it's from mostly pastured cows. It is very yellow! then again they have high cla pasture butter as well sold in different packaging so I'm not sure. Sometimes I make my own butter from grass fed heavy cream. I never use the regular cheapo white store brands unless I'm cooking big non-primal meals for a lot of people (think holidays) and I don't want to waste my good butter on mashed potatoes for company who could care less. Nice, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
                          I get organic valley butter. I believe it's from mostly pastured cows. It is very yellow! then again they have high cla pasture butter as well sold in different packaging so I'm not sure. Sometimes I make my own butter from grass fed heavy cream. I never use the regular cheapo white store brands unless I'm cooking big non-primal meals for a lot of people (think holidays) and I don't want to waste my good butter on mashed potatoes for company who could care less. Nice, eh?
                          Organic Valley has a pretty dirty name among the paleo community..
                          ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                          ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

I cook pretty much everything in coconut oil unless it comes with its own fat, e.g. bacon. I'd like to branch out into lard/suet/goose fat, though. Just haven't done it yet.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                            5'10" female, 38 y/o
                            Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                            WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                            DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                            EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

Thanks Katie. I have come across Organic Valley butter, it is on my radar. Right now I'm trying to rap my head around the best fats and oils. No one really gives "brands" so its up to the individual to go hunting.

Coconut oil seems to get A LOT of attention.
                              One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                              X