Pasta healthy again! Hooray...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainer View Post
    Wow some of you people obviously have not read any of the Articles and research provided on this forum. I wonder why some of you even choose to frequent this site
    Random roundhouse kick ftw.
    What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by Mainer View Post
      Wow some of you people obviously have not read any of the Articles and research provided on this forum. I wonder why some of you even choose to frequent this site
      Like which ones ? about what, wheat ? gluten ? lectins ? Could you be more explicit as to what shocks you here ?
      People are people and will always deviate from a given prescription, even the PB. The forum is interesting in that sense, not if it were just admiring the PB's belly button all the time

(Just look at the resistant starch thing, Sisson admitted in was a blind spot for him and started to include RS - without the forum, it would still be a blind spot)

About the metabolic rate: it is not by carbing up that you increase it, it is by eating more than usual, and especially proteins. The TEF of proteins is high and increasing your cals will increase your metabolic rate.
      Last edited by FrenchFry; 10-18-2014, 01:01 AM.

Comment

The great thing about this site and movement is yes, there will be constant discoveries or kaizen as they say. There are nuggets in everything we research such as this site and all the other big names that some of us follow such as Wolff, Gedgaudas, DeVany, Jaminet, yada, yada, yada. I just choose not to "eat" the nuggets of information such as you mention in your reply since after reading all that I have and can, I can use enough common sense to know that is very bad advice, just like Ancel spread back not so long ago to help get us where great majority of the population is now. BTW, the starch thing isn't anything new, maybe just on this site.
        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Originally posted by fifer View Post
          Pasta is disgusting.

Pasta, or mushrooms in butter? Decisions, decisions...
          My view exactly.
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Attention deficit disorder is sweeping the USA, that's mostly what you are seeing on this site (all these changes in direction).

Pasta (wheat flour) has never been healthy, and never will be healthy, no matter how many pointless micro-science discoveries. That's the great thing about the paleo premise, it allows us to make some common sense judgements and not become misdirected by the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
              Attention deficit disorder is sweeping the USA, that's mostly what you are seeing on this site (all these changes in direction).
              Just the USA??????

If your actually interested in ADD/ADHD look into brain scans on those patients. Wired differently. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea
                Your metabolism controls the strength/mucin lining of your gi tract, the amount of gastric acid you secrete, the amount of digestive enzymes you secrete, the amount of time that food spends in your upper gi tract, as well as the rate at which the body repairs damage.

When you restrict carbohydrates the metabolism slows down in response, this much should be obvious. Mucins are quite important for the strength of the lining of your digestive tract. If you are on a low carb diet you will not have much mucin lining your digestive tract and it will be very easy for food to leak out of your gut causing the problem of "leaky gut".

"What connects a zero-carb diet to dry eyes, dry mouth, dry airways, and dry gastrointestinal tract?
                Tears, saliva, and mucus of the sinuses, airways, and gastrointestinal tract are all comprised substantially of glycoproteins called mucins. Mucins are primarily composed of sugar; they typically have a number of large sugar chains bound to a protein backbone.
                If, for whatever reason, mucin production were halted for lack of glucose, we would have no tears, no saliva and no gastrointestinal or airway mucus...

Scientists have created mice who lack genes for the main digestive tract mucins. These give us direct evidence for the effects on cancer of mucin deficiency.
                Experiments in Muc1 knockout mice and mice with Muc1 knockdown have shown that under Helicobacter infection, mice deficient in Muc1 develop far more cancer-promoting inflammation than normal mice. [4]
                The main mucin of the intestine is Muc2. The group of Leonard Augenlicht of the Albert Einstein Cancer Center in New York has studied mice lacking Muc2. They develop colorectal cancer. [5]

Tracing backward one step toward the source of mucin deficiency, the sugars in mucin are built from smaller pieces called O-glycans. It has been shown that mice that are deficient in O-glycans are prone to colorectal cancer: “C3GnT-deficient mice displayed a discrete, colon-specific reduction in Muc2 protein and increased permeability of the intestinal barrier. Moreover, these mice were highly susceptible to experimental triggers of colitis and colorectal adenocarcinoma.” [6]" (Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, II: Mucus Deficiency and Gastrointestinal Cancers - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet)

Therefore, when the metabolism slows down because of a low carb diet, the lack of mucins lining the digestive tract leaves one prone to gluten and dairy intolerance as well as intolerances to other difficult to digest foods. With more food in the enviornment the body will spend more energy on tools to digest the available food. Gastric acid secretion and enzyme secretion will be lowered when the metabolism has slowed down which is why many long time low carbers rely on betaine hci and digestive enzymes to digest their food.

The transit time of food is also important. With a fast metabolism you will poo many times a day in contrast to people with slow metabolisms who poo maybe once a day, or even less than that. When food is in abundance and the metabolism is high as a result, food is quickly digested and shuttled through the digestive tract. When the metabolism is slow food lingers in the upper gi tract which causes small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and symptoms of acid reflux.

Lastly, the metabolic rate determines the rate at which the body repairs damage. If you have a fast metabolism and you eat a food toxin the damage is repaired rapidly. People like Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt can eat a large amount of food toxins and not notice any damage because their digestive tracts have strong mucin linings and the rate their bodies repair damage is very high.
                (The Michael Phelps Diet: Don’t Try It at Home - Health Blog - WSJ) (Usain Bolt Ate 1,000 Chicken McNuggets in 10 Days in Beijing Olympics | TIME.com)
                Unsubstatiated leaps of logic and general strawmen here:

First the strawman....if a zero carb diet is detrimental to mucin development then what we need is a very high carb diet. Silly right? Even the article that you link is from PHD, which when was written is still "low carb" albeit slightly above the primal recs. Still both Primal and PHD provide enough carbohydrate to support healthy amounts of mucin. You don't need more carbs for more mucin....you simply need a sufficient amount. Again....standard Primal will provide this.

The "evidence" to support your higher metabolic rate theories is also quite flawed. Even the individuals you attempt to use to justify it makes no sense. Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps? Young Olympic gold medalist whose metabolism is a function of the exertions of their sport. Their diet provides calories, but what they actually do with their bodies is why they can support such a high calorie/high carb diet (that and being quite young still) and is the reason for their higher metabolic rate. Watch them continue to eat this way when they are retired and see them balloon right up. It happens to x-pro athletes ALL THE TIME.

Of course I could use the exact same reasoning to say that low carb allows for unlimited calories and a vast metabolic advantage. I mean hey, just look at David Asprey after all! https://www.bulletproofexec.com/phot...s-no-exercise/ .
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Nice rational rebuttal Neck.

Just an FYI...it appears all posts by user Sea have been removed from the forum. That username no longer exists.

Comment

Damn.. I was just starting to get real cravings for orange juice and honey
                    "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

Just an FYI...it appears all posts by user Sea have been removed from the forum. That username no longer exists.
                      Pretty annoying to have over 100 posts removed, most of them long after they were posted. His whole honey thread was deleted too, including everyone else's posts.

Comment

Pasta healthy again! Hooray...

Nice rational rebuttal Neck.

I was beginning to think Sea and God were actually the same person. They both started their crusade around the same time, both have 3 lettered names, and I don't recall them ever responding to one another.. o_O

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Forum censorship hooray.

This is going down the drain pretty fast....

But hey at least trolls get to stay around as long as they're on the right side.
                          What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
                            I was beginning to think Sea and God were actually the same person. They both started their crusade around the same time, both have 3 lettered names, and I don't recall them ever responding to one another.. o_O

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                            There was one thread where they were the only ones posting for a while and i actually thought the same thing. It looked like they were trying too hard to generate interest in what they were saying by bumping the thread.
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                              Forum censorship hooray.

This is going down the drain pretty fast....

But hey at least trolls get to stay around as long as they're on the right side.
                              if they banned all of the high carb people, it'd be terrible censorship. they didn't.

there are still plenty of moderate and high carb people to offset the low carb people.
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                                if they banned all of the high carb people, it'd be terrible censorship. they didn't.

there are still plenty of moderate and high carb people to offset the low carb people.
                                Might be but i still don't understand why that oz picture guy would be banned.

Comment

Working...
                                X