Dry eyelids/eyes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyelids/eyes?

Since going paleo/primal a year ago I've started to get real dry eyes and dry eyelids. I've read that thyroid problems can be associated with this as well as a low carb diet. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I have the same experience when I go VLC

Comment

The lids and ocular surface are highly dependent on one's systemic glandular production. The eyes rely on the meibomian glands (inside the eyelid) to put out a protective lipid layer over the water layer of the tears, which helps to prevent evaporation. Most dry eye issues are caused by this lack of glandular protection, not an actual water quantity problem from the lacrimal glands (I.E. when you cry)

Thyroid production plays a big role in all glandular activity, hence a lot of its symptoms when it is hypo. That said, the ocular system is much less sensitive to these changes than other, more noticeable glands....in other words, your eyes will not be the first or only symptom. They usually are only affected once others already have been. They are not an early domino, but a late one.

More likely is that when you cut your diet, your skin oils overall become less viscous. It is common but not necessarily a bad thing. I would look for the other signs of a thyroid issue (cold intolerance is usually a very early one), try some artificial tears (esp if you do computer work, causing anyone to blink 2-3 times less), and get around to testing the thyroid only if necessary. Hope this helps.
      "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

From Paul Jaminet (Perfect Health Diet) Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets:

Throughout my 2 years on this zero-carb diet, I had dry eyes and dry mouth. My eyes were bloodshot and irritated, and I had to give up wearing contact lenses. Through repeated experiments, I established that two factors contributed to the dry eyes vitamin C deficiency and glucose deficiency. After I solved the vitamin C issue, I did perhaps 50 experiments over the following few years, increasing carbs which made the dry eyes go away and reducing them which made them immediately come back. This established unequivocally that it was a glucose deficiency alone that caused the dry eyes.

Worth checking into. My husband's father went blind from macular degeneration so he's very careful about eye nutrition (e.g. lutein)
        Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

You might also consider your indoor climate control. I had problems with dry eyes when I slept which was really painful when I woke up and my eyelids were stuck to my eyeballs. After some unhelpful doctor visits and some personal detective work, I figured out that the cause was air flow from air conditioning and heating. Having air from the vent hit my head directly was definitely bad, and even deflected air flow could be a problem. For dry eyes during the day, I would check the humidity of wherever you are spending your time, as well as air flow.

Comment

@ sharperhawk

Any eye doctor that does not IMMEDIATELY go into one's environment in questions of dry eye is not worth the title....computers, air conditioning, and dusty work environments are the main contributor about 90% of the time. Your story made me angry.

P.S. I am an ophthalmologist. I'm not trashing anyone I don't understand the work of there....

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
              The lids and ocular surface are highly dependent on one's systemic glandular production. The eyes rely on the meibomian glands (inside the eyelid) to put out a protective lipid layer over the water layer of the tears, which helps to prevent evaporation. Most dry eye issues are caused by this lack of glandular protection, not an actual water quantity problem from the lacrimal glands (I.E. when you cry)

Thyroid production plays a big role in all glandular activity, hence a lot of its symptoms when it is hypo. That said, the ocular system is much less sensitive to these changes than other, more noticeable glands....in other words, your eyes will not be the first or only symptom. They usually are only affected once others already have been. They are not an early domino, but a late one.

More likely is that when you cut your diet, your skin oils overall become less viscous. It is common but not necessarily a bad thing. I would look for the other signs of a thyroid issue (cold intolerance is usually a very early one), try some artificial tears (esp if you do computer work, causing anyone to blink 2-3 times less), and get around to testing the thyroid only if necessary. Hope this helps.
              Lazarus,
              Thanks for the info. I have seen a ophthalmologist who said there didn't look to be anything wrong with my eye. At the time my eye was getting very red along with dry and prescribed me lotemax eye drops. More then the actual eye bothering me, I've had very dry eyelids that become flaky and irritated. I went to a dermatologist who said it wasn't bacterial or fungal and prescribed me a cream that I never picked up because it cost. $350! I've went to my PCP and had a thyroid panel done which showed my tsh was elevated but t3 and t4 levels were completely normal. I've begun using a homeopathic eye drop made by similasan that had kept my eyes from feeling dry but I still have the irritated dry eyelids. It's very frustrating.

Comment

My pastor's wife was having trouble with dry, itching eyelids. After trying many different creams, she finally went to a doctor who tested her for allergies. Turns out she's allergic to acrylics, and she's an art teacher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

@ Shaun W

The drop you were prescribed (Lotemax) is a mild topical steroid, so there was either a general inflammation or something occurring on the cornea in order to mandate its use....in other words, nothing wrong with your eyes and putting a steroid drop on it is an oxymoron. I would perhaps ask for more information.

In regards to seeing a derm, who are VERY knowledgeable about skin in general, I would honestly not seek their help in regards to an eye irritation problem. The eyelids are a very unique area that they are not generally well-schooled in....or as an eye doctor friend put it to me once "Eyelids hurt? I'm your buddy. Eyelid might have a tumor? Off you go."

A very common issue with men, especially those under 50, is a constant low-level inflammation of the lids (blepharitis). Most of the time it is a chronic form of what we call "staph bleph", which means it is caused by an over-proliferation of a normal part of your eyelid flora. In short, the food gets to be too good and they overpopulate.

The problem is that in these numbers they create a biofilm and create an endotoxin, which irritates your eyelids a lot. the immune system is constantly repressing it, so the eyes are just flaky and sore chronically.

A good simple solution is a warm compress to the eyelids daily, using a hot rag and massaging the lids after. Outside of this, I would try to see an optometrist (seeing an opthalmologist for eyelid irritation is like seeing a brain surgeon for a booboo on your head) and ask about getting just a simple ophthalmic antibiotic, like erythromycin. It is 3-6 dollars in most places. If this helps, then you found your culprit and you can treat it only as needed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Laz,

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to make an appointment with an optometrist. I don't know if I had mentioned in my original post that I work nights in an ER 5 days a week. I'm thinking the constant fight against my circadian rhythm might have something to do with it. I wake up in the afternoons and sometime my eyes feel glued shut. Very gritty and almost painful to hold open. Also, in your opinion, do you suppose dehydration could play a role? I suspect I haven't been hydrating enough. Thanks again for all the great info.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun W View Post
                      I wake up in the afternoons and sometime my eyes feel glued shut. Very gritty and almost painful to hold open.
                      That sounds a lot like my case, which I described in my previous post above. Try turning off the heat/AC before you go to bed. If that works, then the problem is the air from the HVAC is drying out your eyes. If the vent is blowing directly on or near your face, then changing the angle might be enough. Otherwise, it might be that even indirect air flow is enough to dry out your eyes, and then you should adjust the thermostat so that the HVAC comes on less often (lower in cold months, higher in warm months).

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                        That sounds a lot like my case, which I described in my previous post above. Try turning off the heat/AC before you go to bed. If that works, then the problem is the air from the HVAC is drying out your eyes. If the vent is blowing directly on or near your face, then changing the angle might be enough. Otherwise, it might be that even indirect air flow is enough to dry out your eyes, and then you should adjust the thermostat so that the HVAC comes on less often (lower in cold months, higher in warm months).
                        I'll have to try it out. I'll redirect the angle of my vents and see if I notice any improvement. Did this completely solve your issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun W View Post
                          I'll have to try it out. I'll redirect the angle of my vents and see if I notice any improvement. Did this completely solve your issues?
                          Yes, it did.

Also, if you happen to wake up with the eyelids stuck, try not to open them right away which may be difficult because opening your eyes immediately seems natural. Gently use the palms of your hands to cover your eyelids so that you feel their heat. Do that for a minute or so, and your eyes should be relubricated.

Comment

Dry eyelid is such a common issue that every third or fourth lady on this earth is suffering from. This generally takes place when you age and the level of water under your eyes or eyelids started to dry. However, with some natural home remedies, you can stop this to happen. One of my friends is trying these remedies and she is satisfied with its results. So, if you also want to get rid of this issue then you can try all these remedies. Find out the remedies at:
                            Dry, flaky and scaly skin on your eyelids may be the worst conditions because it can be very uncomfortable, unattractive and irritating. Dry eyelids may affect any people, most probably the people who already have issues with the dry skin. Before you apply any kind of moisturizers, lubrications or nay lotions to your eyelids to

Comment

Dry eyelid is a very irritating issue, it leads you to itchiness on the eyelids. If you want to get rid of this eyelid issue with some natural remedies then you can try different things like:
                              • Use aloe vera gel on your dry eyes
                              • Apply coconut oil on your eyelids
                              • Use apple cider vinegar
                              • Make use of tea tree oil
                              Also, there are several eyelids issues that take place due to several and those can be cured with some natural treatment. I came to know about some eyelid issue from: http://natural-remedies-for-droopy-eyelids.weebly.com. Here, in its blog section, I found some eyelid issue and the ways to treat them naturally. If you are much interested then you can also visit this aforementioned link.

Comment

Working...
                              X