Quinoa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinoa

What are your feelings about it? Can anyone suggest an online retailer? It is expensive at my grocery store for a pretty small package.

Im no expert but I don't think its primal if you do a search I believe there was a big thread about it at some point...as for my feelings on it - I personally find it disgusting I used to get mine from iherb.com they usually have good prices.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Of all the grains, quinoa and wild rice and the like are the least sketchy, but what are your goals? It may be worth eating them for variety sake, but if you want carbs, even a white potato will have more nutrition than wild rice or quinoa. But maybe I'm not the right person to answer because I think quinoa tastes like wood chips.

Comment

i do a good bit of distance running, and eat some sweet and white potatoes...yes, just wanted a little variety. does anyone know if the red quinoa is healthier than the regular? will check out iherb. thanks!

Comment

Bird food! What's that Mr. Chirpy Chirp? You love quinoa, Mr. Chirpy Chrip?

"Yes Stabby quinoa is like the best bird food ever. I eat quinoa every day and I'm the healthiest bird around"

Right on, Mr. Chirpy Chirp.

Yeah so in summary it's bird food but less horrible bird food than most. I'd soak it until it sprouts for sure.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

haha! i noticed some cheap quinoa when i googled it, then realized it was for birds.

Comment

hahah! that was cute stabby.

Comment

Ok, I'm confused because quinoa isn't really a grain, but a seed. It is a very old item, considering it was one of three staple items of the Inca's (quinoa, corn and potatoes). It's estimated to have been cultivated since 3,000 BC. It's known as a "superfood" and is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. The seeds are gluten-free and is also in the same botanical family as sugarbeet, table beet, and spinach. I guess this is my reasoning for not understanding why it's not a healthy Paleo option.

Comment

Can you spackle the walls with it?

Comment

Originally posted by erinmck12 View Post
                    Ok, I'm confused because quinoa isn't really a grain, but a seed. It is a very old item, considering it was one of three staple items of the Inca's (quinoa, corn and potatoes). It's estimated to have been cultivated since 3,000 BC. It's known as a "superfood" and is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. The seeds are gluten-free and is also in the same botanical family as sugarbeet, table beet, and spinach. I guess this is my reasoning for not understanding why it's not a healthy Paleo option.
                    Although it is a biological seed, quinoa is metabolically digested just like bread and potatoes: with a little help of our friend elevated insulin because quinoa is all starch. the whole super food label is simply a marketing scheme to sell people acai juice. Its probably no better than general mills posting that cocoa puffs are a part of a complete breakfast because they are low fat and are enriched with artificial nutrients.

I think the only positive thing I could think of quinoa is that its one of the only complete sources of protein found in grain foods. If you really want the carb experience, make some cauliflower rice.
                    --
                    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

Originally posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
                      Its probably no better than general mills posting that cocoa puffs are a part of a complete breakfast because they are low fat and are enriched with artificial nutrients.
                      Haha. Ok, that was funny and I *get* it now. Thanks!

Comment

Quinoa can be found in bulk at most health food stores, Whole Foods, etc. That is definitely the cheapest option, I ate quite a bit of it before going grain free. I always enjoyed it as a breakfast porridge or cold salad
                        For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by supersellen View Post
                          I always enjoyed it as a breakfast porridge or cold salad
                          Ohh ya, I loved it in the mornings with my soy milk and nuts and stuffs. Huh, I had forgotten I used to eat that. I guess bacon makes you forget that other breakfasts exist.

I would buy it in bulk and/or health food stores. At the grocery store they were trying to sell it for $10 for a tiny bag! The 'bulk barn' sold it for .99 cents a pound.
                          The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Comment

It looks like Mark isn't completely opposed to Quinoa, as it's listed as one of the 10 best protein sources: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/top-ten-protein-sources/
                            Here's the big article on it which I think is less friendly towards it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alter...grains-quinoa/

It looks like it has a comparable GL load and carb count to a sweet potato, for what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                            X