How Much Does Your Fish Cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Does Your Fish Cost?

I have asked a similar question before, but it is worth asking again in a different way.

I continue to find salmon for very reasonable prices. I went to D & W yesterday and found 12 oz. of salmon for $6, Mahimahi for $8 I believe, Ahi Tuna for $8.... ALL WILD CAUGHT! AND packed in the US! (does this mean anything?)

I mean, this is no doubt more expensive then 100% grass fed beef if you buy a whole cow. But, if you buy Organic Smart Chicken breasts it is $7.99 lb. at the same damn place, and grass-fed ground beef at my local farmers market runs at $7 from a very excellent farm.

So, the fish I buy, Full Circle brand, is NOT that much more expensive. Vital Choice sells there fish for $30 lb or more!! Why?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am so confused... how can the price be that big of a difference? Dr. Mercola says to avoid fish, take a fish oil instead, but he recommends any seafood from Vital Choice. Is it that great?

ANSWER AT LEAST THIS QUESTION: How much does your fish cost?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

i got two big frozen tuna steaks from trader joes for 5 bucks. Product of thailand, wild caught. Once thawed they turned green and the texture was way off. They ended up in the garbage. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Im loving the $20/lbs fresh alaskan salmon right now at wholefoods
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting... Well, $5 is real cheap - was it about 1 lb.? The cost I buy is $7.50-$10 per lb....

Comment

i think it was closer to 1.5 lbs, they were big. They glowed flourecent green/grey similar to leaky car fluids.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm leery of the Full Circle salmon in my Albertson's. It's 'wild caught' from China and it's color added even though it doesn't say so. I recognize the gray meat under the pink coloring. Some of it just says Salmon under ingredients. Some of it is labeled Keta salmon under ingredients. That is the same as Chum or Dog salmon, which is used in Alaska as chum and dog food. You are not getting great tasting high omega 3 salmon if it is all Dog. It's not a bad choice like Tilapia, but I would rather just get deep water cod, which is probably cleaner and to me tastier and usually a buck less a pound.

My Stater Bros keeps getting beautiful red Sockeye filets from Alaska and marking them down to $5 a pound after 9pm the day before their exp date because they don't sell fast here. I grab them every time I see them.

Comment

I think that doctor likely suggests taking the fish oil for several reasons, first the chance of other impurities like mercury and the other is that in farmed fish, they are often fed grain products which reduces the yummy fish oil. Thats what I've read anyway.

Here, I get haddock for about $6/lb, scallops for $9/lb, lobster for $5./lb

Salmon, I have to get from costco because all the local salmon is farmed salmon and they'd rather sell it to you americans than sell it locally. I usually pay about $20.00 for 2-3lbs maybe.
            SW: 235
            CW:220
            Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
            Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
            Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
            Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

I’m very fortunate to live by the Ocean. I catch all of my fish. I love free fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Grol View Post
                I'm leery of the Full Circle salmon in my Albertson's. It's 'wild caught' from China and it's color added even though it doesn't say so. I recognize the gray meat under the pink coloring. Some of it just says Salmon under ingredients. Some of it is labeled Keta salmon under ingredients. That is the same as Chum or Dog salmon, which is used in Alaska as chum and dog food. You are not getting great tasting high omega 3 salmon if it is all Dog. It's not a bad choice like Tilapia, but I would rather just get deep water cod, which is probably cleaner and to me tastier and usually a buck less a pound.

My Stater Bros keeps getting beautiful red Sockeye filets from Alaska and marking them down to $5 a pound after 9pm the day before their exp date because they don't sell fast here. I grab them every time I see them.
                So you think full circle seafood is super bad? Your making it sound like it...

Originally posted by Brian C. View Post
                Im very fortunate to live by the Ocean. I catch all of my fish. I love free fish.
                The ocean? It says you live in Orlando, FL.

Thanks for the responses guys! Keep them coming!

Comment

I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI

*waves to Dosenberry*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Thank goodness for the DeKalb Farmers Market! During salmon season, I can get wild alaskan for $7.99/lb

I really should get one of those food vaccuum sealer thingies and freeze a bunch of it in the chest freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                      Thank goodness for the DeKalb Farmers Market! During salmon season, I can get wild alaskan for $7.99/lb

I really should get one of those food vaccuum sealer thingies and freeze a bunch of it in the chest freezer.
                      The rest of the year I buy from vitalchoices.com The 'large' filets of sockeye, purchased in multiples are the best value on the site at about $13/lb.

Comment

I paid for a fishing pole and some gear. Then I hitch rides on friends boats. So I am able to eat Walleye, panfish, crappie and salmon for free.

The Native Americans actually get to net Salmon, so they will sell you a whole fish for 5$ at certain times of the year. That is an amazing deal there.

Comment

I bought a 2 pound wild-caught mackerel yesterday for about 12$. I think it was 5.99/lb.
                          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Wild Alaskan Salmon for about $8.20 per pound
                            Wild Whole Sardines for $5.99 per pound
                            Wild Whole Boston Mackerel for $1.99 per pound
                            Wild Shrimp for $5.99 per pound

Those are the only fish I buy on a regular basis.

Comment

I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI

*waves to Dosenberry*
                              *Wave*!

That's awesome... why did ya move?

The rest of the year I buy from vitalchoices.com The 'large' filets of sockeye, purchased in multiples are the best value on the site at about $13/lb.
                              I will have to check those out! I will definitely be buying from vitalchoice.com at some point to compare the taste to cheaper brands.

Originally posted by jspegel View Post
                              I paid for a fishing pole and some gear. Then I hitch rides on friends boats. So I am able to eat Walleye, panfish, crappie and salmon for free.
                              I am sooooooo jealous!

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                              I bought a 2 pound wild-caught mackerel yesterday for about 12$. I think it was 5.99/lb.
                              Makes me feel better as I buy mine for $7-10 lb.

Originally posted by Ry View Post
                              Wild Alaskan Salmon for about $8.20 per pound
                              Wild Whole Sardines for $5.99 per pound
                              Wild Whole Boston Mackerel for $1.99 per pound
                              Wild Shrimp for $5.99 per pound

Those are the only fish I buy on a regular basis.
                              Makes me feel a lot more better. I still think vital choice is superior, but not at all worth it when you simply can not afford it. Fish oil is excellent and the wild caught fish I buy now will do.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Comment

Working...
                              X