No announcement yet.

Critique diet new guy here :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you hate the veggies when they are doused in butter and salt? You should have access to grass fed butter in your part of the world.

For weight loss, I think you should consider going with a little less protein and more fats. Coconut oil and grass fed butter make excellent fuel.

Do you do ok with eggs? If so - eat them nearly every day in place of some of the chicken.

Nuts and nut butters may not be the best choice with Crohn's. You might consider eliminating them for a while. Or switch to macadamia nuts. (Less PUFA which may aggravate Crohn's.)

In the longer term you might look into resistant starches as they can be soothing for the intestines.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

No nuts!

Also, 8 chicken breasts in a day is too much. And cut the protein powder.
      Last edited by Elliot; 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM.
      My opinions and some justification

Comment

The people here who know me know what I'm going to say...
        The best tested way to lose weight is high fat, low carb, moderate protein. High fat has been demonized by my profession and the US Federal Govt guidelines, wrongly.
        I'd say you really don't need more than maybe 80-100 gm of protein/day. The rest gets turned into...GLUCOSE...by your liver as our bodies cannot store protein.
        What fats can you eat? Olive oil, butter (grass fed if possible), coconut oil? Probably avoid things like soybean oil, canola, corn, vegetable. Bacon...someone on this site said, "I find your lack of bacon disturbing." Egg yolks are great food.
        Lots of vegies would be terrific. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, just about any green leafy.
        Don't worry so much about calories either. You can't measure them accurately enough to matter; you'll be off 10-20% at best and that is many pounds a year. Listen to your body, listen to satiety, just eat until not hungry.

If you decide to go low carb/high fat, get a good guidebook! It's really easy to do it wrong and end up with zero energy feeling like crap. I like "The New Atkins for a New You" by Eric Westman, MD, a Duke medicine professor. They say to eat a protein about the size of your palm three times a day, that's enough. Look here.

Good luck. Oh, with the whole Crohn's mess, consider looking into Sarah Ballantyne's book on autoimmune Paleo. I think overall she has a good approach.

Good luck!

Doc Jim
        10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
        Now: low 150's, 33" waist
        Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

It's only 4 chicken breasts a day , there's 2 diets I layyed out , will definitely cut protein powder , and nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by gdot View Post
            Do you hate the veggies when they are doused in butter and salt? You should have access to grass fed butter in your part of the world.

For weight loss, I think you should consider going with a little less protein and more fats. Coconut oil and grass fed butter make excellent fuel.

Do you do ok with eggs? If so - eat them nearly every day in place of some of the chicken.

Nuts and nut butters may not be the best choice with Crohn's. You might consider eliminating them for a while. Or switch to macadamia nuts. (Less PUFA which may aggravate Crohn's.)

In the longer term you might look into resistant starches as they can be soothing for the intestines.
            Thanks for reply :-) yup love eggs will try and replace chicken with them , have lots of ideas and recipes for eggs .

Comment

Originally posted by jmsmall View Post
              The people here who know me know what I'm going to say...
              The best tested way to lose weight is high fat, low carb, moderate protein. High fat has been demonized by my profession and the US Federal Govt guidelines, wrongly.
              I'd say you really don't need more than maybe 80-100 gm of protein/day. The rest gets turned into...GLUCOSE...by your liver as our bodies cannot store protein.
              What fats can you eat? Olive oil, butter (grass fed if possible), coconut oil? Probably avoid things like soybean oil, canola, corn, vegetable. Bacon...someone on this site said, "I find your lack of bacon disturbing." Egg yolks are great food.
              Lots of vegies would be terrific. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, eggplant, just about any green leafy.
              Don't worry so much about calories either. You can't measure them accurately enough to matter; you'll be off 10-20% at best and that is many pounds a year. Listen to your body, listen to satiety, just eat until not hungry.

If you decide to go low carb/high fat, get a good guidebook! It's really easy to do it wrong and end up with zero energy feeling like crap. I like "The New Atkins for a New You" by Eric Westman, MD, a Duke medicine professor. They say to eat a protein about the size of your palm three times a day, that's enough. Look here.

Good luck. Oh, with the whole Crohn's mess, consider looking into Sarah Ballantyne's book on autoimmune Paleo. I think overall she has a good approach.

Good luck!

Doc Jim
              Great reply will check out the links , looking forward to changing my life thanks doc :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Graham23 View Post
                When I checked calorie and macros one day it said it worked out at 180g protein , I've heard of protein toxicity but I don't think 180g would be in that "danger" range , what do you think?
                I don't think there's anything wrong with that much protein at all.

First thing I thought of was where's the beef? before reading about your crohn's... that's too bad. I guess it's good you like chicken so much.

Do you ever eat salmon? Chicken wings? Whole chickens?

Comment

for me it's white meat only as any form of red meat doesn't agree with my crohns
                  But beef jerky doesn't cause you issues?

If not, can you add more?
                  Making it yourself is pretty easy and works out a lot cheaper than buying it, especially when you're keeping your eye out for cheaper cuts of beef on sale

I've used everything from brisket to gravy steak to beef heart and ox tongue.
                  Last edited by Misabi; 09-09-2014, 02:09 AM.
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                    I don't think there's anything wrong with that much protein at all.

First thing I thought of was where's the beef? before reading about your crohn's... that's too bad. I guess it's good you like chicken so much.

Do you ever eat salmon? Chicken wings? Whole chickens?
                    I taut the same I mean I've seen body builders macros at the 250 - 300 range for protein now that's crazy.

I do eat chicken wings in fact in love them (!crispy skin mmmmmm) I really hate salmon even though I know it's one of the best fish out there with its omega 3 ratioo but wud prefer to supplement with a fish oil , and ya I eat whole chicken I just tear the chicken off in little strips and toss it up like pulled chicken will replace chicken with other protein sources one recommendation was more eggs which I love thanks for reply.
                    Last edited by Graham23; 09-09-2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                      But beef jerky doesn't cause you issues?

If not, can you add more?
                      Making it yourself is pretty easy and works out a lot cheaper than buying it, especially when you're keeping your eye out for cheaper cuts of beef on sale

I've used everything from brisket to gravy steak to beef heart and ox tongue.
                      No I know it sounds weird but beef jerky just doesn't aggravate my crohns but red meat does
                      And i definitely would add more beef jerky even if it's homemade I can't get enough of the stuff must look up how to make it myself don't you need a dehydrator or something?? Beef heart and ox tongue? I think I'll stick to my chicken breasts

Comment

those oogly bits all are rich in vital trace minerals you simply will not get with those chicken breasts.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Basically what I got from all replies
                          No nuts or nut butters
                          3 meals a day
                          Green leafy veg (doused in butter)
                          Low carb , med protein , high fat
                          Mix up protein sources
                          MORE homemade JERKY AND EGGS

Comment

Basically what I got from all replies
                            No nuts or nut butters
                            3 meals a day
                            Green leafy veg (doused in butter)
                            Low carb , med protein , high fat
                            Mix up protein sources
                            MORE homemade JERKY AND EGGS
                            Yep
                            might even go less than 3 meals
                            that's okayish but I'd recommend eating vegetables that actually have calories in them rather than add them (green leafy veg are somewhat pointless imo)
                            I'd go with "medium" everyting, which is still "low carb/high fat" compared to what the government says, but not actually low on the carbs
                            more like beef/lamb and especially their livers/bones etc. >>> chicken breast.
                            What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                              Yep
                              might even go less than 3 meals
                              that's okayish but I'd recommend eating vegetables that actually have calories in them rather than add them (green leafy veg are somewhat pointless imo)
                              I'd go with "medium" everyting, which is still "low carb/high fat" compared to what the government says, but not actually low on the carbs
                              more like beef/lamb and especially their livers/bones etc. >>> chicken breast.
                              Yes will go with veg in general with butter , gona throw a diet together there in a minute with all info utilised. Thanks.

Comment

No I know it sounds weird but beef jerky just doesn't aggravate my crohns but red meat does
                                And i definitely would add more beef jerky even if it's homemade I can't get enough of the stuff must look up how to make it myself don't you need a dehydrator or something?? Beef heart and ox tongue? I think I'll stick to my chicken breasts
                                A dehydrator makes it really easy, but you can also make in a fan oven on the lowest temp setting or even hanging in a cardboard box with a bare light bulb inside for the heat.

Once you've soaked the slices in some spices (black pepper and chilli are my favourites) and soy or tamari sauce then dried them they just taste the same as if you've used steak.
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                                X