Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we talk about Matt Stone? And his High Everything Diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk about Matt Stone? And his High Everything Diet?

Ok, I've been reading Matt Stone's work lately and a lot of what he says makes sense. Restricted diets tend to make people neurotic. Did for me anyway, made me into an obsessive-compulsive.

"OH MY GOD THIS SAUCE HAS TRACES OF GLUTEN IN IT THROW IT OUT!!!"

"THIS...THIS HASH BROWN HAS SOME CANOLA OIL IN IT - IT MUST BE TOSSED INTO THE FIRES OF MOUNT DOOM!!!"

"NO I CAN'T EAT FISH AND CHIPS WITH YOU GUYS. THE BATTER HAS GLUTEN IN IT AND THE CHIPS ARE FRIED IN PUFA!!!"

He is also correct about what low-carb does to you. Low-Carb feels great at first. I felt charged up like I was high on speed. But do you know WHY it causes that effect? BECAUSE YOUR BODY IS RELEASING STRESS HORMONES. Yeah, that nice energized feeling? That's STRESS. That's ADRENALINE. Eventually your adrenals will burn out though and there'll be no more nice feeling, just fatigue. And you'll think "Hmmm, maybe there are more foods I need to eliminate. Maybe I need to go EVEN MORE LOW-CARB!" And then things get worse and worse til you are metabolically fucked.

At one point my diet ended up being nothing but salmon and broccoli because I was too paranoid about eating "bad food".

These days my body temperature is pretty low, around 96F. I understand 98-99F is ideal. My hands are like ice. I need to sunbathe in a sweater to warm my blood up in the mornings. I have hypothyroid.

Then I found Matt Stone and I was like "Yes, this guy is clearly a prophet." He made me realize I've been chronically under-eating without even realizing it. I have the symptoms of low metabolism that he speaks of.

So I've been following his High Everything Diet for a couple of weeks now, eating way more food than I'm used to. And... I'm not seeing any improvements. I've been salting everything, eating lots of carbs, still my blood is ice. I guess 2 weeks isn't that long but I'm just nervous about following his protocol, getting fat, and not seeing any thyroid improvement.

And you know, his forum sucks arse. Seriously nobody has posted there in months. He has no contact email, or any way to ask him questions. Like WTF?

And I have one other concern: If eating lots of food is the solution to metabolic & thyroid problems... WHY do so many people still have metabolic/thyroid problems when they are doing just that? Most people DO eat heaps of food, it's not helping them, it's fucking them up.

I feel like Matt Stone has correctly identified the PROBLEM, but his SOLUTION is seriously lacking.

Any Matt Stoners out there who can give me advice?

That you Zach?
    See if you can find Zach posts and threads here on MDA. That might be a start for you if no one answers.
    Last edited by Terry H; 08-29-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to try asking on a matt stone related forum?..
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic, but maybe you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
          Wouldn't it be better to try asking on a matt stone related forum?..
          True... BUT like I said his forum is dead. Some of the subforums haven't had posts in months.

Comment

Sounds like that Matt Stone thing didn't quite take off. I wonder why?

If I had a dollar for every person that identified a problem without a solution I would be pretty rich by now.

Comment

Never met the guy, but why would we want high or low anything? How about taking each nutrient and pleasure to the point of diminishing return then stopping. A whole foods approach should reduce paranoia--if we're ordering commercially fried things what sort of consequence are we expecting?

As much as I appreciate DIY health thyroid and adrenal diseases are not something to self-diagnose online--they have definitions. I monitored body temp for a time but food never impacted it (outside alcohol). Cook a nice dinner, go for a walk, stay off the internet.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Buck books just informed me that one of his books, Eat for Heat, is free today on Amazon. Eat for Heat: The Metabolic Approach to Food and Drink - Kindle edition by Matt Stone. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. I wouldn't have actually paid anything for it but it was free so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                  Cook a nice dinner, go for a walk, stay off the internet.
                  Wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                    Never met the guy, but why would we want high or low anything? How about taking each nutrient and pleasure to the point of diminishing return then stopping. A whole foods approach should reduce paranoia--if we're ordering commercially fried things what sort of consequence are we expecting?

As much as I appreciate DIY health thyroid and adrenal diseases are not something to self-diagnose online--they have definitions. I monitored body temp for a time but food never impacted it (outside alcohol). Cook a nice dinner, go for a walk, stay off the internet.
                    The High Everything Diet is about caloric density. It can be hard to eat enough calories to boost metabolism so Matt suggests eating foods that are calorie dense and high in salt and carbs. The problem with whole foods is they're too filling, not calorie dense enough and often have a high water content.

Matt suggests that in certain circumstances McDonalds is good because of the intense caloric density, high salt content and low water content of the burgers.

The thing I like about Matt is he's tried every diet under the sun and has a lot of personal experience. Lived experience means more to me than half-arsed studies done on lab rats when it comes to health matters.

Out of curiosity, when you monitored your temps what were they on average (if you remember)? Were they within healthy range? 98-99F?

Comment

There are better ways to fill up on calories than eating at a fast food restaurant though.
                      Still have to agree that always going with low caloric density can hardly be the correct choice because that's not what our instincts tell us and I doubt our ancestors would have survived without going for food with plenty of calories.
                      What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

My body temperature improved vastly just by eating more sugars in the form of fruits. I am eating more calories than I was on low carb just because with a faster metabolism (thanks to high carbing) I need more calories to survive, but I didn't purposefully eat more calories just to speed up my metabolism...I ate more paleo carbs. I am eating HCLF for the most part (not always) since fat does little to raise body temperatures.

Have a coffee with a tsp of sugar and some milk. You will be like a toaster oven in no time.

As for paranoia... Just stop being paranoid. I eat peat for the most part but I will enjoy a Tbsp of peanut butter if I feel like it. *shrug* I still haven't died yet. I am not actually celiac, so I don't bother with gluten-free soy sauce etc when I am out at restaurants. I just don't eat anything obviously battered or made with flour. I don't eat battered fish and chips... But I will definitely eat some French fries once in a while, PUFA or not.
                        Last edited by TQP; 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM.
                        JOURNAL..
                        @BabesWithBBQ.
                        Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                        Professional Style Website.
                        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by God View Post
                          It can be hard to eat enough calories to boost metabolism so Matt suggests eating foods that are calorie dense
                          IIRC the thermal effect of feeding is always proportional to the meal, partly as defense against nutrient excess in the blood. Is he suggesting the temperature elevation persists after the meal and this is beneficial? Sounds like a leap of faith.

Out of curiosity, when you monitored your temps what were they on average (if you remember)? Were they within healthy range? 98-99F?
                          In the 96-97 range. It's been that way lifelong and doesn't budge for anything so I've become less convinced it's a problem.
                          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
                            My body temperature improved vastly just by eating more sugars in the form of fruits. I am eating more calories than I was on low carb just because with a faster metabolism (thanks to high carbing) I need more calories to survive, but I didn't purposefully eat more calories just to speed up my metabolism...I ate more paleo carbs. I am eating HCLF for the most part (not always) since fat does little to raise body temperatures.

Have a coffee with a tsp of sugar and some milk. You will be like a toaster oven in no time.
                            INTERESTING! So fruit sugar had a good affect on your metabolism? Would you say it's more effective than starch? This is interesting because I mostly get carbs from starch (not a huge fan of sweet food). Maybe that's why my plan isn't working?!

Guess the issue with fruit for me is it's very filling. But dried fruit could be a good option.

Excellent. You've given me good ideas, thanks.

Comment

INTERESTING! So fruit sugar had a good affect on your metabolism? Would you say it's more effective than starch? This is interesting because I mostly get carbs from starch (not a huge fan of sweet food). Maybe that's why my plan isn't working?!

Guess the issue with fruit for me is it's very filling. But dried fruit could be a good option.

Excellent. You've given me good ideas, thanks.
                              Try it for two weeks and see. I am definitely toastier on fruits/sugars than I have been on potatoes (my most usual form of starch), even though I eat a decent amount of both.
                              JOURNAL..
                              @BabesWithBBQ.
                              Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                              Professional Style Website.
                              #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                              X