Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year on primal not working so well..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year on primal not working so well..

Hi all,
    I appreciate your learned help. I have been following a 90% primal diet for over a year now and it has been fantastic. My only area of weakness is that I like to drink alcohol and that has kept me about 2kg away from my goal weight of 63kg. But I have been happy where I have landed.

Over the year I noticed my weight would fluctuate about 2kg for no apparent reason, but with a couple of careful days it would always settle.

Back in June I decided to try keto for a bit and it was not good for me at all. Had mood swings and put on weight strangely.

I spent a month in japan on tour and definitely found it trickier there. I are more rice (usually a once or twice a week thing) and trying to stick to primal led to eating a lot of salty meats and things which caused some fluid retention. And yep we were on tour so we drank more than usual. But I did a lot more exercise than usual and when I got home I was 64kg, happily surprised!

Fast forward a month and things are not so good. I have for the past 9 months started every day with a bulletproof style coffee (I add some raw milk) and eat around 1:30pm, a solid meal of salad veggies, protein and fat. I then eat dinner and have a few wines or vodka/soda.

At the start of the month my appetite was low and I was only eating once a day really with a snack of nuts, dairy or hard boiled eggs in there. My weight started to creep up. My TCM practitioner suggested my metabolism was not working well with that little food.

In the past 10 days, since menstruation and into the start if a new cycle I have been really hungry. A bulletproof coffee is not taking me through to my usual time and yet if I eat early (omelette or bacon etc) I am hungry the whole day (that has always been the case).

I have been craving food and sugar and crunchy things. Trying to stay on track with cassava crackers or dried veggie chips and adding some resistant starches. Weight has gone up to almost 68kg.

I get very little time to exercise with three kids under 7, a business, a day job, a parent run school and my music, so I guess that also means my cortisol levels are high. But that hasn't changed since last year.

I have tried going to bed earlier as my sleep is so interrupted but to be honest I feel worse and the weight has gone up.

I love primal eating but I want to keep my weight down! Need help! I know cutting the drinking is a simple solution, I also know it's not easy for me and it's a process. However I haven't been drinking more than a year ago so not sure why things are so out of whack.

Suggestions would be so welcomed !

Thanks for reading the novel!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

drop the booze, drop the nuts and snacks. eat more protein. when i am overtired and/or short on protein and/or recovering from too much booze the night before i crave off-plan foods. junk. chips. candy. etc. junk. your body is hungry and short-circuited.

personally i think the bp coffee is stoopid. it's several hundred empty cals and clearly isn't doing what it's suppose to do for you. for now, eat a real breakfast til you get yourself more in balance. are you still trying to lc? you may benefit by upping the carbs with tubers and lc fruits like berries.

i can't really suss out what you typically eat each day?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Drop the drinks. Plus, you seem pretty busy, so staying away from alcohol will give you more time and energy to focus on those babies.

Comment

I agree with noodletoy. You're struggling because your calories aren't coming from actual food. Snacks, nuts, BP coffee and booze aren't real food. Eat protein, fat and good carbs. Ditch the BP coffee and the snacks. Booze is an occasional thing, not a daily thing. Perhaps seek counseling help for that issue if need be.

What are you doing for exercise?

Comment

What I hear you saying is that you realize alcohol is getting in the way of you realizing all the benefits of primal living. Alcohol is literally a poison. If you want to stop/ cut back, I believe you can do it.

Originally posted by Jazzmama View Post
          Hi all,
          I appreciate your learned help. I have been following a 90% primal diet for over a year now and it has been fantastic. My only area of weakness is that I like to drink alcohol and that has kept me about 2kg away from my goal weight of 63kg. But I have been happy where I have landed.

Over the year I noticed my weight would fluctuate about 2kg for no apparent reason, but with a couple of careful days it would always settle.

Back in June I decided to try keto for a bit and it was not good for me at all. Had mood swings and put on weight strangely.

I spent a month in japan on tour and definitely found it trickier there. I are more rice (usually a once or twice a week thing) and trying to stick to primal led to eating a lot of salty meats and things which caused some fluid retention. And yep we were on tour so we drank more than usual. But I did a lot more exercise than usual and when I got home I was 64kg, happily surprised!

Fast forward a month and things are not so good. I have for the past 9 months started every day with a bulletproof style coffee (I add some raw milk) and eat around 1:30pm, a solid meal of salad veggies, protein and fat. I then eat dinner and have a few wines or vodka/soda.

At the start of the month my appetite was low and I was only eating once a day really with a snack of nuts, dairy or hard boiled eggs in there. My weight started to creep up. My TCM practitioner suggested my metabolism was not working well with that little food.

In the past 10 days, since menstruation and into the start if a new cycle I have been really hungry. A bulletproof coffee is not taking me through to my usual time and yet if I eat early (omelette or bacon etc) I am hungry the whole day (that has always been the case).

I have been craving food and sugar and crunchy things. Trying to stay on track with cassava crackers or dried veggie chips and adding some resistant starches. Weight has gone up to almost 68kg.

I get very little time to exercise with three kids under 7, a business, a day job, a parent run school and my music, so I guess that also means my cortisol levels are high. But that hasn't changed since last year.

I have tried going to bed earlier as my sleep is so interrupted but to be honest I feel worse and the weight has gone up.

I love primal eating but I want to keep my weight down! Need help! I know cutting the drinking is a simple solution, I also know it's not easy for me and it's a process. However I haven't been drinking more than a year ago so not sure why things are so out of whack.

Suggestions would be so welcomed !

Thanks for reading the novel!

Comment

Hmm I don't think I am saying that. I think I am saying I realise it is holding me back from my weight goals and it's always good to look at reducing, but I am not saying it's the major factor in my sudden change in weight and feeling.

I don't plan to quit alcohol entirely but am looking to cut down. I mentioned it because I thought it was pertinent to the whole picture, but it's not the only brick in the wall as it were.

I do appreciate your response however. I love a fine wine with my family over dinner. My dad has a great cellar. I also love a red with my band mates during a gig. I don't want to give those pleasures up!

Comment

The drinking you describe above sounds very reasonable.

Alcohol is a cns depressant, so it's regular use will take its toll.

Comment

for years i worked as a sommelier and for the last 2 years have been working as a wine salesperson for a distributor. very easy to drink most everyday. so i did.

have cut back to once or twice a week and am sleeping soooo much better. i feel better, look better and my clothes are fitting better. my overall mood has improved. i started a meditation class. it's very easy to rationalize that it's delicious, it's social, it helps you relax, blahblahblah. if you want to be primal you cannot drink everyday. as a mom with several jobs you definitely should NOT be drinking everyday. sorry. it whacks out your glucose and disrupts hormones. it interferes with sleep. it causes food cravings.

back off the booze, eat real food and other things will fall into place more easily for you.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for your response! Yes in certain fields it is so much easier to drain more often; there's no doubt jazz music is one of those!

I eat so well so perhaps it is the effect of lack of sleep and cortisol mixes with the 3 glasses of wine a day...

I haven't had much luck cutting back cause after a huge day a couple of wines feels ahmaZing but it is definitely something to figure out how to successfully do...

However I am certain there is more to this change in body behaviour, seeing as that hasn't changed at all over the year and I was 64kg this time last year.

Any further advice? Appreciate the help thank you!

Comment

Sorry I just noticed a whole lot of other responses! I don't use the app much.

Just to clarify I don't snack much at all. My usual diet is:

7am bulletproof coffee
                    1:30pm large salad with lamb/beef/salmon, and avocado/nuts
                    6:30pm dinner which is usually more veggies ESP. Cabbage or coleslaw mix with grass fed cow.
                    And the wines.

That is what I do usually. Sometimes I eat cheese and avocado instead of my first meal. Occasionally have 2 squares of 90% cacao.

I eat white rice or potatoes once or twice a week. I occasionally make Great Lakes gelatin and coconut milk jello.

Lately I have been craving the crunchy stuff and more salt. That's when I have had some cassava crackers.
                    Really that salty crunch is the only thing I miss/crave.

I also want to clarify and I recall this exact conversation with you noodletoy some months ago that I devote lots of quality time to my kids. We are in a parent run school where I spend two full days a week running activities/teaching. I read to them every day and we have tons of things on the go. I am not lolling around drunk on the couch. It does feel like this forum requires a lot of justifying, which is a shame.

However I am most grateful for you taking the time to respond.

Thanks

Comment

generally am too lazy to check previous posts from op's, but i do remember a similar thread from you last year(?) and agree people piled on a bit about the drinking, but you've got LOTS of peeps on here who abstain entirely or indulge very rarely because they KNOW it's better for both their mental and physical well-being. many of them can't fathom what it's like to drink everyday.

i am not implying you neglect your kids or are behaving badly in any way, so please don't read words that aren't on the screen. in fact, it sounds like you are stretched far too thin?

my personal experience leads me to think the regular over-consumption of alcohol has an insidiously deleterious effect. it's a slow process and you tell yourself that nothing else has changed. ok, but booze right up until bed means your liver is processing that toxin while you sleep instead of digesting dinner and obvz your metabolism is slower at that time because you are "sleeping". it means your glucose is elevated while you "sleep". it means your brain isn't sleeping as deeply as it should. it means your sleep is poor which means your cortisol is higher. elevated cortisol leads to fat storage. cortisol is naturally highest in the morning and yours is likely off the charts even without the crap sleep and booze aftermath.

prolonged periods of sleep deprivation wear out both the body and the mind.

when we drink, the liver prioritizes processing the alcohol, but it must use vital vitamin-dependent enzymes to do so, so even if we're eating primal, we are not reaping the full benefit of our healthy foods. it sucks out much of the b-vitamins, vitamin a, vitamin d, vitamin k, vitamin c and vitamin e; calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, selenium, tyrosine, folic acid... etc. your body is starved and only becomes more depleted with your daily dose of wine. cassava crackers and veggie chips are not nutritious, nor is bp coffee.

alcohol also has a huge impact on your gut, both the lining and the flora, which in turn affects... EVERYTHING.

i spent years rationalizing my drinking. decades, actually. my friends are restaurant people, wine/liquor salespeople and musicians. all of those people work weird hours, and many of them drink to excess, so i had a very different context within which to judge "normal drinking". what i thought of as "normal" most certainly is NOT. those who barely drink, or are not in industries where alcohol plays a starring role, have NO idea how many functional alcoholics are running around out there.

it's only been about a month of me drastically cutting back but the difference is profound. you can run circles around why it's "not" the booze causing your weight gain or you can cut it out, do an n~1 and see what happens.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

maybe you are craving the salty snacks because you need more salt in your diet? Primal diets are naturally low in salt so you need to add some good celtic sea salt or himalayan or whatever you fancy.
                        "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. I thought about what you wrote noodletoy and also about my motivations for writing another post of this kind when the last time I mentioned alcohol and being a mama I kind of felt roasted...I guess I was looking to be spurred onto a change.

So I am aiming at an alcohol free September. Not really excited about it but interested to see what it will do for my primal way of life.

I am heavily in love with my bp coffee routine but am going to add some high protein brekkies in, and perhaps some starch...will be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks all.

Comment

Alcohol is an interesting subject all on its own. When I was younger I drank quite a bit, had hangovers and was even sick when I overdid it too much. I have carried on taking alcohol in because it's a big social tool, pretty much everyone drinks. Fast forward a couple of decades or more and you will find me still drinking but not as much and then finally, on holiday I went overboard on Bacardi and Coke on holiday, was horribly sick and had a terrible hangover. I swore, as we all do, never to touch the stuff again.

Needless to say I didn't stick to that but what I noticed was that over a few more years my tolerance to alcohol became very low. A couple of glasses of red wine kept me awake at night, I had palpitations and sweats so my sleep was disrupted. It has reached the point where i prefer not to drink anything and although I really like wine I seldom have more than one small glass. I've talked about this a lot and it seems to be quite common, for women anyway, and part of the reason I was given was that it was to do with hormones, as women age they produce fewer etc. etc. I don't know if that's the whole truth and I don't for a minute think you are as close to your dotage as I am.

What I will say is that all but removing alcohol from my diet has had no effect whatsoever on my weight, I'm still lumbered with 42 lbs too much. The plus side is that I sleep much better, not just from being abstinent but possibly because I try to earth whenever possible, that seems to have made the most difference.

So, what to do? Social drinking is a big part of life these days, it seems most use drink as a tool with which to relax, wind down, destress or just plain get bladdered. I know just how difficult it is to refuse too, when people are drinking they don't like the thought of having a clear headed, sober person in their party. I needed to grow a thicker skin and avoid being self righteous lol, but these days it is accepted that I won't partake and the best they can press on me is spring water.

Comment

Maybe you are not eating enough protein. Or maybe you eat too much of the same thing day after day. I like to eat the same thing day after day but after a while I get hungry more and more unless I change to something else. And if I eat a lot of protein, it's hard to get hungry at all, but sometimes I feel "nervous" and end up wanting to eat crunchy things.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X