X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this bull$#*t?

http://livewell.jillianmichaels.com/...-hdl-5117.html

Animal fat full of HDL or LDL?
    I'm stuck on that eating animal meat and fat containing HDL and saturated fat is good for you. This website suggests otherwise....

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Originally posted by stevensuperbike View Post
    Which Foods Contain LDL & HDL? | Live Well - Jillian Michaels

Animal fat full of HDL or LDL?
    I'm stuck on that eating animal meat and fat containing HDL and saturated fat is good for you. This website suggests otherwise....
    Yeah, it's oversimplified and largely states as fact that which is not well supported by the literature (which she doesn't cite - shocker).

Try this on for size if you really want to understand cholesterol and apolipoproteins (which is what HDL & LDL are - molecules that carry cholesterol, not actually cholesterol themselves at all)

The straight dope on cholesterol
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thanks Rich that is what I've been looking for. Excellent thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Uh...what?

Food does not contain HDL nor LDL unless you're actually drinking blood. We make HDL and LDL.
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

She's just in it for the money. I wouldn't trust anything she says.

Comment

Yeah, it's crap. Just one example:

"Animal fat, coconut oil, palm oil, lard and butter are filled with saturated fats and LDL cholesterol. "

Cholesterol is only found in animal foods. Failure :-) And yeah, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter if we ingest LDL or HDL cholesterol. Like fat, protein, and anything else you eat, it gets broken down into smaller parts before it is digested and assimilated... or not assimilated as the excellent article that Rich linked to will explain in great detail. Read that whole series and you will know more about cholesterol and lipoproteins than 99% of people and 90% of general practitioners.

Comment

Also,
              Foods highest in cholesterol: egg yolks, oysters, ruminant liver
              Foods with the most thorough vitamin and mineral content: egg yolks, oysters, ruminant liver

So either Mother Nature is a prankster who enjoys teasing us with booby trap foods or 1980s CW is wrong about cholesterol.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
              X