Is it really that bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really that bad?

Is granulated white sugar every now and then really really bad? I made these paleo cookies, which are the bomb.com by the way, and didnt have coconut sugar so just used regular sugar. Then i compared the stats of regular sugar to coconut sugar and coconut sugar has more calories and carbs. Im not eating 3 or 4 of these cookies every day, just on occassion. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Soft & Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies

No. Chronically eating too much of it is bad. It's not an acute poison or anything.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If your body doesn't have issues regulating your blood sugar, I think eating sugar is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't displace any important nutrients.
      __________________________________________________ _____________________________
      Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
      End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Probably not. Unless you're diabetic or prediabetic, your body is perfectly capable of handling sugar, even more so when it's mixed with protein and fat. If anything, being 80%+ paleo/primal/ancestral will only help with that because you'll be more insulin sensitive and capable of burning and using that fuel.

Still best to not eat all the time of course, but probably no harm done.

Comment

I'd be more worried about the almond butter in here.
          What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Yeah I'd say swapping out your coconut sugar for sugar isn't really a big deal. You don't want to eat too much just like you don't want to eat too much of anything, including coconut sugar.
            The Paleo Feed - Your Paleo Blog Network

Comment

For some people, sugar is a slippery slope. Confine sugar intake to a small amount of fruit and they're fine. Add a cookie and tomorrow it's two, the next day three, and finally, they've fallen off whatever wagon they had chosen to ride. If that's not you (and some of the things mentioned in the above posts), then it's fine. The amount matters.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Whats wrong with the almond butter??

These cookies were soooo rich, one was more than enough for me. I did have that thought though about not being able to stop at one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizaditude View Post

These cookies were soooo rich, one was more than enough for me. I did have that thought though about not being able to stop at one.
                  Almond butter has too much polyunsaturated fat.

But refined sugar is fine if your diet provides enough magnesium and other nutrients to balance it.
                  My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Mizaditude View Post

because ZOMG THE PUFA WILL KILLZ YOU DEADZ BEFORE YOU FINISH THE COOKIE!!!!!!!!

ahem.

coconut sugar is not really better or worse than cane sugar. as long as these remain treats, you're fine.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for the response. Why do i always see people suggesting it as a snack and whatnot? I thought almond butter was a good thing.
                      Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                      Almond butter has too much polyunsaturated fat.

But refined sugar is fine if your diet provides enough magnesium and other nutrients to balance it.

Comment

As expensive as almond better is, hell yeah they're just a treat lol. And now that i know almond butter isnt really that good for you, like i thought it was, i'll only be making these once in a while and probably less than that once these 3 jars of almond butter are gone.

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                        because ZOMG THE PUFA WILL KILLZ YOU DEADZ BEFORE YOU FINISH THE COOKIE!!!!!!!!

ahem.

coconut sugar is not really better or worse than cane sugar. as long as these remain treats, you're fine.

Comment

nut butters (and nuts) are fine in moderation. there is a subset on here that is irrationally terrified of them.

don't worry about it.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Occasional sugar won't kill you, it can slow weight loss though if you care about that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

The only thing with paleo baked goods is that between nut butters and fat, they often pack a bigger calorie wallop than regular baked goods. I made a mug cake and the math was like 700 calories, which was about double what I would have expected. Calories do count, just make sure you have a ballpark.
                              I know calorie counting is passé around here, but for some people it matters. Going to bet those cookies have more calories than regular tollhouse recipe. The benefit imo, of paleo baked goods is that they are filling. I make blueberry muffins on occasion and they are small, about 200 calories, and one is really filling to the point that I could not eat two. Meanwhile, I could eat one of those huge 600 calorie bakery muffins easily.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X