Blood Lipid Panel - Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Lipid Panel - Help!

I just received the results of my quarterly blood test. Would really appreciate some help analyzing.

Cholesterol 232 prev 195
    Triglycerides 152 prev 134
    HDL 54 prev 48
    LDL 148 prev 120

My doctor has been pressuring me to go on a statin, and since the results appear to have regressed, I expect her to keep the pressure on. I really want to tackle this with diet/exercise and natural supplements. A little more info:

Me: Male, 52, 6'0 245 (and going down)

Diet:
    AM - Butter coffee
    Noon - Green Juice (Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Ginger, Lime, Apple), or Beet juice (beets, carrots, celery, ginger, tumeric)
    Evening - Leafy greens, red meat or chicken
    Usually ~1,600 cals per day 40/40/20 (fat/protein/carbs)
    I also supplement my diet with EFAs, CLA, Plant Sterols, Yohimbine, Creatine, Vitamin C, D, K2, and CoQ10

Exercise:
    3-4 hours of strenuous exercise per day, six days a week (AM and PM) consisting of Cardio, Boxing, Muay Thai, Cycling, and Weight training. Typically 2-3kcal per day total

1600 calories does not seem like it would be nearly enough for a man your size working hard six days per week.
    I would also discourage supplementing "essential" fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid, or plant sterols.

I would not worry about the lipid panel. Doctors are trained to give statins to anyone with high numbers. That doesn't mean it's justified. In many randomized trials, groups with higher serum cholesterol had equal or lower mortality rates, compared to the group eating a cholesterol-lowering diet. See:
    Use of dietary linoleic acid for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and death: evaluation of recovered data from the Sydney Diet Heart Study and updated meta-analysis | The BMJ

The fear of cholesterol was never really justified. That being said, you're probably not getting enough magnesium (true for almost everyone) and it will "improve" your lipid panel, so you could consider getting more. It will make you healthier and please your doctor.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

Start here:

The straight dope on cholesterol
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Start here:

The straight dope on cholesterol
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
          I would also discourage supplementing "essential" fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid, or plant sterols.
          Thank you for the reply. I don't recall ever hearing or seeing advice to stop taking EFA. I will need to investigate further. 3 months of taking 1800mg of plant sterols a day seem to have done nothing to "improve" test results, so I guess it doesn't work for me. I failed to mention that I do take a Zinc-Magnesium supplement each evening on workout days to assist with recovery

Comment

Are you using coconut oil? That raises cholesterol in some people. Are you actively losing weight? That will also raise your cholesterol while you are losing weight. Otherwise, meh, wouldn't really worry about it if you are otherwise healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by jenna View Post
              Are you actively losing weight?
              Yes. I've lost ~80lbs in the last 15 months after being diagnosed type II. Still very much the main focus for me, which is one of the main reasons why I don't want to introduce Crestor to my life right now -- don't want anything to inhibit my pursuit of fitness and strength

Comment

Just some random thoughts. Why are you getting so many calories from liquid? Being Type II wouldn't it be ideal to not drink your meals(i.e. slows digestion etc..) I am not real familiar with juicing but doesn't it mess with (reduce) the fiber and doesn't fiber help with cholesterol?

Comment

This might help.

I lost weight and my cholesterol . . . went up! - Dr. William Davis

Comment

OP, the only real worry there is the increased trigs, and that can be explained away by the weight loss. It's positive that your HDL has gone up.

I'm concerned at the amount of food you say you're eating and the exercise you are doing. The numbers don't seem to add up. Why are you doing cardio *and* cycling?
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

HDL and trigs going in the wrong direction. Seems like you you are not eating much at all and exercises a ton.

Comment

Thanks to all that have responded, its great to get feedback

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                        I'm concerned at the amount of food you say you're eating and the exercise you are doing. The numbers don't seem to add up. Why are you doing cardio *and* cycling?
                        What I mean by "cardio" in this context would be aerobic warm-up or perhaps a set of anaerobic done in a fast sequence. Example would be 30 minutes of elliptical prior to weight training, or 1 minute of heavy jump rope immediately followed by 50 kettlebell swings and then 25 wallball (repeat). Whereas, by "cycling" I mean an actual outdoor 15-20 mile trail bike ride

Originally posted by DFord View Post
                        Why are you getting so many calories from liquid?
                        You've given me something to think about here. I've concluded that over time I have combined several things that I did in the past that may have worked into some hybrid -- e.g., butter coffee, green juicing, intermittent fasting, etc. I might have to reflect on this a little.

Comment

Regarding your butter coffee, you may be interested in an article on Authority Nutrition: 3 Reasons Why Bulletproof Coffee is a Bad Idea.

My take is that BPC would be fine for a few days to help with the transition into ketosis, if that was what you wanted to achieve. After that, you can cut it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sharperhawk View Post
                            Regarding your butter coffee, you may be interested in an article on Authority Nutrition: 3 Reasons Why Bulletproof Coffee is a Bad Idea.

My take is that BPC would be fine for a few days to help with the transition into ketosis, if that was what you wanted to achieve. After that, you can cut it out.
                            I don't buy her 3 arguments at all.

1) I don't eat "breakfast" and get plenty of nutrition in the other two meals -- including 3-4 eggs/day. My brain just works better in the morning without breakfast
                            2) Saturated fat -- well in extremes calories are calories, so yeah -- if you drink 4-8 tablespoons of oil every day you are going to have weight management problems (I also do Kerry Gold butter and virgin coconut oil)
                            3) My cholesterol has been improving while drinking BPC-- HDL up, tigs down and even LDL down

Comment

Working...
                            X