Finding New Foods Since Going Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding New Foods Since Going Primal

As we already know, the PB calls for the elimination of certain staples in the conventional diet such as grains, dairy, & legumes. However, during my Paleo/Primal transition, I never looked at this situation and lamented on the fact that I couldn't eat a certain food anymore. Instead, I begin to research and scour the grocery store, farmers market, and the internet for new foods that were just as good or even better than the ones that I was already consuming.

I think that this is one of the greatest benefits of being Primal because we don't really know how many awesome fruits and vegetables are out there until we make a conscious effort to look for them.

I listed a few things below. I'm also interested to know what foods that you have "discovered" since going primal? Thanks!

=========

Spaghetti Squash
    Avocados
    Dates
    Almond Butter/Milk
    Swiss Chard
    Kale
    Bone Marrow
    "Coconut" Everything (Milk/Sugar/Flour)

I transitioned from the "health food" store propaganda diet so I was already well acquainted with all of the obscure grains, plant foods, herbs, and such. I started eating the insidey parts of animals like heart, kidneys and tongue, various new animals, coconut, palm oil (which was short-lived, blah). That's about it actually. My meals are basically some sort of animal flesh, vegetables, spices and fats. Or fruit, coconut, chia seed pudding if I desire something dessert-like. All in all I eat many fewer types of foods and am a hell of a lot healthier and happier. Fuck quinoa, amaranth, and other bird food.

Oh but today I did eat chickpeas and lentils with ground beef in a chili my dad made. First legumes in months and hopefully last for a long time. I don't miss them.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Coconut oil and coconut milk have been the discoveries for me. But like Stabby I've been indoctrinated in CW health food propaganda for years and have eaten just about every strange muck you can imagine.

Comment

Coconut oil and kefir
        The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Beef. Bacon. Coconut stuff.

Fat!

Comment

I can't believe I had never had coconut oil before PB. I had always believed the CW line that it was an "evil tropical oil".
            Now it's my favorite cooking oil, moisturizer, and "Rocket Fuel" in my morning coffee

Comment

Fat!!!

Comment

Coconut oil
                Fish oil
                Beef heart
                Tongue
                Kidneys
                Bone marrow
                .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I don't find myself limited, as I can have most of my absolute FAVORITES in a different form. I can still have chocolate and wine.

I'm looking forward to trying the coconut flour and coconut paste I bought yesterday. I also am looking forward to making chicken livers I think they were called. Bone marrow and even encouraging my husband to take up hunting that I used to frown upon before.

If anything, i find this way of eating freeing.
                  SW: 235
                  CW:220
                  Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                  Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                  Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                  Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

All the yummy coconut products.
                    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

coconut oil - both for cooking and skin
                      big roasts - never cooked these before PB
                      cow toungue
                      liver
                      pork belly
                      kimchi
                      fish oil
                      duck!
                      almond butter - way superior to peanut
                      pork rinds
                      lard
                      chicken and turkey thighs - no more breasts
                      raw milk cheese
                      pickled eggs
                      coconut milk smoothies
                      pasture butter
                      shredded coconut

hmmm thats all i can think of
                      sigpic

Comment

Almond Butter!
                        Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

It seems that most of you have listed coconut oil as a food that was introduced to you by way of the Primal Blueprint. After I used it for the first time, I was so happy I had found it. It works better for me when sauteing foods than olive oil does and I feel that it has done wonders for my skin.

Thanks for the replies. I will have to try a few things that you commenters have listed.

Comment

Working...
                          X